CATALYST Control Center

Discussion in 'Links' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Darkjeste

Darkjeste Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 2GB
    I've just installed it while haveing the newest omega drivers installed and everything seems to work fine so far,i'm not to excited about CLI.exe process from the control panel staying in processes and taking up 12 megs of ram after i close everything from the control panel thoe.

Also cli.exe try's to go out online for whatever reason but that's easily blocked by firewall.

2. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    So far I don't like them. The simplicity, customizability and speed of the old Control Panel was nice so for now I think I'll stick with them. The 3D preview would be good for people who don't have any experience with AA/AF though. Still, I know my way around the old one, so for now I'll stay with it :).

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    YAY!! i feel honoured, its my first Sticky!!. :D

I see the v-sync option has been renamed, pity about the size though, the .NET is 23 meg, and you have to have it.

If you have the 4.8's installed, then you can just download the control centre which is about 26 meg, so you are talking about 50 meg there with the .NET, or if you want the lot, drivers, control centre, and the .NET you are talking about a whopping 64 meg!!!. :eek: anyone think thats a tad rediculous, im on BB and even im considering about giving it a miss, i pity the 56k users. :(

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Trying to set a profile to activate on an application or shortcut causes it to crash when I click the "..." button.

Good olde bugs.

I like the few new OpenGL shader effects and Skin support that they've added.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Honestly... ATi programmers are obviously not capable of programming something better. The whole thing is just a old Control Center with make-up.
    Not even one more tweak. And that stupid file CLI.exe uses all CPU power at startup and 28MB of memory later. I don't need such a resource hog for something that i don't see for 98% of all time. And tray icon is the same stupid crap as before. Who needs such crap of tray? Even oh so cheatin' NV makes better tray controls and control panel :roll: Sorry,but ATi sinks like a brick when it comes to software(drivers).

Edit:
    Use great RadLinker,ATi Tray Tool or ATiTool instead.
    These guys at least know how to serve the thing :rolleyes:

6. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    I must be missing it but how do you set the refresh rates for games??

7. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    What's the new name for Vsync? Why would anyone even think of calling it something else?

8. InFiD3L

InFiD3L Guest

GPU:
    x1950 Pro
    Well said! I don't see how a snazzy GUI to what should be a straight forward API control panel justifies the additional resource hog! I thought driver releases and associated utlities were developed on 50% bugs/50% optimisation....this is a bit of a backward step and one that will make ATI lose fans and subsequently sales.....whatwith the 6800 poo-pooing the ATI party at the moment, things aren't looking too great :(

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i DL the full 40 meg version but when i press open cat control Center...Nothing.......Its there it just does not open.....??

10. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Because you do not have Microsoft .NET 1.1 framework installed.

11. klevoo

klevoo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro
    I am very dissapointed with this release. Hopefully in time it will evolve just like the original catalyst has.

12. CosmicChaos

CosmicChaos Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+
    This control panel has all the functionality of the previous version and added more with the preview. If you are a casual gamer, you have an easy slider to adjust the overall settings. If you need more control, and you know we do, change the view and you can tweak everything as before. I don't get all the complaints. And if I'm not mistaken, it will check for drivers updates too.

I like them :D

13. mike06181231

mike06181231 Guest

the thing is a manger cpu resource hog just what a gamer wants more memory taken up and cpu resoures takin up

14. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    In the future will we have to use this instead of the old control panel ? Hope not.:(

What with having to install .NET framework as well, I really don't fancy this. Also, if its true that its a resource hog, gamers should treat this like the plague.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  15. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    It does use a lot of CPU [3-4 secs at 50% on mine] when setting 3D changes with preview mode shown.
    With preview mode not shown it's around 14% [1 sec].

[Counting availible CPI.exe and Preview.exe processes]
    It takes up about 20MB on boot, 12MB on idle [ACE open then closed], around 40MB with ACE open w/ preview shown and around 30MB with ACE open and Preview not shown.

Hardly anything to go postal over.

16. sshunter

sshunter New Member

GPU:
    RADEON X1950 Pro
    Problem

Hi

I am having a problem with this control centre. I have loaded driver 4.9 along with Net framework etc and I get a strange error message:

"No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware."

I have reinstalled the ATI drivers several times both 4.8 and 4.9. I even tried the 40 meg download to no avail. My ATI card is Celestica "Gold Edition" RADEON X800 Pro

HELP!!

Thanks,
    Hunter

:eek: :(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Unfortunatly it not that...i have had Net 1.1 installed for a few months now simply because another game mod required it......I have just went back to the old panel for the moment..No doubt when i reformat the PC next time it will run ok.....Thanks..

18. Undertakeroccl

Undertakeroccl New Member

GPU:
    BBA Radeon 9800pro
    anyone knows were to get files or packs for different languages other than english???

19. mickd

mickd Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    Re: Problem

Hey !!! I'm having the same problem....HIS Ice-Q 9800 pro...any ideas ?

Thanks

20. ragtag

ragtag Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 SLI
    I have a HIS Ice-Q 9800 Pro with 4.9b drivers and new control center......no problems here.