Basics of Watercooling

Discussion in 'Links' started by shadow42489, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Preid

Preid Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTm
    Ive the same problem with my X800 blowing hot air over my sata! Im also investing in a w/c system and need to know the best way to rig up and CPU and GPU. I dont think having CPU >flowing to> GPU would be very effecient.:dave:

EDIT: Thor that is one hell of a system

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  2. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    I run a big Radiator ( in the upercase) with 2 120mm fans before the CPU. Then i come out of the CPU into another Smaller radiator with 80 mm fan before going into my Dual vid cards and then back to my Big setup again. My cards run at 48c-50c depending on my clocks and my cpu runs at 36c-38c. Also depends on my clocks. I am not using a cooler at all except for my rad and fans.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  3. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    The consensus seems to be that it doesn't really matter what order you put the blocks in, or perhaps the second block will end up 1 degree hotter or something. The important thing is that you have a radiator large enough to handle the heat from both the CPU and GPU, because otherwise they'll both heat up rather more dramatically. I suppose the other options are to have a "Y" connector to split off seperate tubes for each block, or to have multiple radiators so that one is after the first block and another after the second. Though once again I don't think either would help very much...

4. GFDuke

GFDuke Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5870 l
    How could anyone even think that a 2nd radiator wouldnt be any help? Where do you get your facts from dude. Going straight from the CPU to the Vid card or going to a radiator first umm think about it. DUH

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Because the heat of the CPU/GPU is more a factor of the aggreagate heat in your system, and that is something that builds up more slowly with each pass. Switching the order of the blocks only seems to help to the tune of one degree or so, to my recollection. So a BI:X2 would really be just as good as two BI:X, because it has the same cooling power.

6. SL-spirit

SL-spirit Master Guru

GPU:
    1GB Sparkle 9800GT
    Hey guyz, my CPU has been making a loud noise lately. So I was wondering if maybe one of my fans is dead or something. So would upgrading my CPU with a water cooler help reduce the noise OR do I have to change my DELL CUSTOM CASE to someother Noise Killer Case??? Please reply...........

7. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Yes it would, but then again so would just getting a new heatsink. What makes watercooling quieter is the use of 120 mm fans... but you can get heatsinks with 120 mm fans too:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-CLP114&c=pw

Now a nice dual 120 mm fan radiator will of course cool even better, but I wouldn't spend $250 until you're sure you need that kind of cooling. The only case I'd say you really *need* watercooling to get a good OC would be with dual-core Intels... AMDs or even single-core Prescotts probably won't benefit all that much over high-end air.

As for case, yeah, upgrading to one with 120 mm fans can help, also perhaps one of those models with a door, Antec P180 is a good example of one that has both of these features. There are better cases for watercooling, but that's a seperate question.

Also, might want to just figure out where the noise is coming from, fans can usually be replaced pretty easily...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  8. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    30 dBA.... to me thats too loud. But then again thats just me... ;)

9. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Dipping my toes - so to speak

I have a question that will probably dictate way (and if) I buy as a w/c kit. Now I'm a complete novice when it comes to water cooling and yes, I have read through this entire thread BUT...

Firstly, here's what I'm looking at getting: Corsair COOL (Guru's review) which seems to be very well made and put together (in my n00by opinion) but the dilemma is this:

The RADbox is designed to fit onto the 120mm exhaust vent of the PC case and I have a Lian Li PC61 USB case that has a 80mm exhaust port (with the obligatory 80mm fan attached). Would it be possible to either drill the case to fit the RADbox cage or use a 80mm to 120mm adapter to do the same trick? (I noted that G L has a Lian Li PC60 and the two cases are reasonably similar.) Secondly, would I need to disconnect the existing exhaust fan so the pull effect of the 120mm fan is in way inadvertently affected by the existing 80mm fan.

Finally, what's peoples opinion of this kit anyway? In Hilbert's review of this kit, he seems to like it. I know that this whole thing is quite n00by but I think I need to ask before committing the money.

Thanks in advance for any advice give
    - Blaise

10. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    I think it is designed to fit up to a 120 mm fan... as it does voluminous slots but does not seem meant to channel air in any way, I'm sure if works with many fan mount sizes. Ah, here we go:

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCB-120.asp

I doubt you'd need to remove the case fan, though it would be partially blocked by the radbox. I'd probably just duct-tape the opening and let the PSU be the exhaust fan.

Corsair Cool is great because it uses Swiftech parts, all which are pretty nice and make use of 3/8" ID fittings. You could do better with the pump and with 1/2" ID fittings, but they're both pretty minor. You of course can always get a bigger pump, and since its 3/8" getting new blocks or radiators is of course no problem. If you want something more high-end, there's always this:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swh2edukit.html

You would have to probably drill two holes in the case for the tubing, otherwise setup is pretty much the same. If you plan to cool your video cards too I'd definately recommend this one, or perhaps a custom kit at dangerden. A dual core and two GPUs can spew out 300 watts easy. Here's an example of a danger den kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1455179&sku=D90-3002

I believe you could get it a bit cheaper at dangerden.com by selecting all the parts individually, the tripple 120 mm radiator might be a bit problematic too so you could choose a double instead. You'd also have to buy a radbox seperately elsewhere if you wanted to mount externally, that's another $25 I believe. Here's the GPU blocks and ramsinks from this kit sold seperately:

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=169&cat=67&page=1

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006

11. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Wow, what a response G L, thanks heaps. I'm in Oz so my range is a bit more limited that those folk in the US. I think you've got me convinced to order the Corsair COOL on Monday and with Hilbert's review (and the manual), I don't expect to have any problems assuming I take it slow and steady. Once this is done I'm hoping to up the clock speed of this FX-60 a bit further and hopefully, things will be a bit quieter.

Once again, thanks for the info and and your time.
    -Blaise

Edit: Upon further reading of the Corsair installation manual (available from their WEB site via PDF), the RADbox is identical to the Swiftech model being universal. That was the final criteria so it is now on order.

12. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Uhhh... ah hah! There's the Apex kit, and those MCW55 apparently are 7xxx compatible.

http://www.pccasegear.com/category159_1.htm

'Down under' and everything. Though I wouldn't say you really need this kind of cooling power unless you definately think you might want to hook up the video cards at some point too.

13. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Thanks again G L, I thought about that one for a while but ordered the Corsair COOL kit from the same supplier yesterday. I think that as I'm just 'dipping my toes', Corsair will do me fine (I don't really want to start removing my HSF's off these BFG puppies).

14. Strahd

Strahd Active Member

GPU:
    2 X (SLI) eVGA 7800GTX KO edition w/ACS3
    I am investing in water cooling and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on a push/pull configuration. Basically having a fan in front pushing air into the rad and another fan at the back of the rad pulling the air.

15. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    They claim pulling here and also to use a shroud so that 1" is between the radiator and fans:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/09/diy_water_cooling_101/

I've definately heard the shroud thing before too. These are probably correct but I doubt it adds up to very much, so I wouldn't sweat it if its very incovenient.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006

16. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    From that website....

17. shadow42489

shadow42489 Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire Vapor-X HD5870
    so glad to see that this thread is being kept alive! i have to clean my lines soon...as soon as i get some new tygon and a new rez...my current rez is all effed up...it wasnt the model i ordered from frozencpu...i ordered single 5 1/4" they gave me dual 3 1/2" which doesnt work in my case, so i wedged it in the back, ...so i figure ill replace it while i've got the ststem grained...plus...im ordering new chemicals, lights, dye, and tube anyway, so why not? how're you all making out with your monsters?

edit: anyone been keeping up to date on the non conductive coolants? im looking for a blue one. fluid xp is too expensive and gets white flakes, and PC ice which i was going to use is apparantly not completely non-conductive.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  18. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    hey guys might want to check this site for reviews...show how to instal and basic results...Pit.

www.3dgameman.com
    go to the reviews page and check the video reviews on cooling Very informative..Pit.

19. Preid

Preid Master Guru

GPU:
    8600GTm
    Ive got my graphics card watercooled, now when i stress it the temp suddenly rises about 8-10 degrees in the space of a second, this normal?

20. Catroqui

Catroqui Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080/1080 Ti
    Really nice system!is it watercooled???