** A64 Overclocking Guide **

Discussion in 'Links' started by THunDA, May 31, 2005.

1. h0lm

h0lm New Member

GPU:
    HIS x850xt
    Okay, I've read the your guide(And understood the most of it I geuss :)). Im a oc-newb, lets get that straited out, and Im not going to spend that much time oc-ing :)
    Besides, I've read another article just like it in danish, and it is too much work, ill rather game.

Q:

Right now I have an AMD64 3000+ Newcastle on an Abit Kv8, with 2 x 512mb Kingston ram.

The cpu is standard to run about 200mhz * 10. I used the bios and tried to put it up a notch.. now it runs 220 * 10, and it is still stable.

My simple question is, when the cpu is cool enough(40c idle), is it then okay to oc it more than that ?
    Im thinking of ocing it to a 2.3 or maybe 2.4.. AND, im not going to oc the ram, or agp ?
    I dont know if the question seems odd, caus im a newb as I said :), but:
    Is it alright to oc it even more, if the temp is low enough ?

2. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    Well no one said it was easy.. If you rather game then leave it where it is and dont do anything.. ;)

You really dont want to pay much attention to idle temps.. Load temps is what you want to keep your eyes on.. Keep the load temps at or around 50c..

Since your already at 40c when at idle im assuming your load is 50c or higher.. I would suggest upgrading your cooling before you push it more..

But then again if you dont want to take the time to do anything then leave it and be happy ..

3. h0lm

h0lm New Member

GPU:
    HIS x850xt
    nono, I didnt meen to be an idiot :( Sry

Its just that i find it difficult, and the only thing i need to have running faster is my cpu. The 1 gig ram is fine for me.

My cpu is actually about 50c idle!.. didnt think that was much.. but at load(Gaming hl2 for example), its at 63c..
    I have a zalman 7000cu B.. and i think my m8 who put it on might have used way to much cooling paste... so ive ordered a tube of arctic silver5.. i should have it in my hands tomorrow.

My question was if i could oc only the cpu a bit more, using bios, with out having to oc my ram ?
    Didnt meen to offend u, sry.

4. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Its ok you didnt offend me.. im sorry for misunderstanding too.. :)

Well if you really want to just oc the cpu and not the ram you could leave the ram on a ratio..

You really need to work on the temps though.. 50c at idle is way too high, not to mention the 63c load temp.. If you cant get them down some I personally wouldnt oc at all..

5. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    UPDATE.. I just added a little something about the VID StartUp Value option in bios... I think this is only a DFI bios option but Ive had a few pm's about this setting so I figured to add something about it..

I changed this part because before it just mentioned winnies and clawhammers..

:)

6. Firexiao2

Firexiao2 New Member

GPU:
    onboard 64mb
    Help, i installed a latest version of BIOS at my pc.. but it seems my PC is slower now...

and now i want to restore the original BIOS , i tried to restore it.. but still i think my pc got slower

7. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Im sure there will be many people that can help you.. But please start another thread for it.. This really has nothing to do with the overclocking guide..

Thanks..

8. Finesse101

Finesse101 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 6600 256mb OC @ 550/613
    your link to Prime95 ver. 24.11 program is dead, FYI

ill google it for myself

EDIT: Cant seem to find a working download link anywhere... would you mind updating the programs list with up to date programs that you use? I want to oc my cpu and I would sooner take the programs you put up, due to the fact that you know what your doing and know what programs are best :p

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  9. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
  10. 10WnJo0fo0

10WnJo0fo0 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 6800GS 475/1125
    I cnt get my MSI K8N Neo4 Plat to do more than 220FSB it seems as if it where a bug with 64 winnies... or at least that is what i hear, I might reflash my bios to see if that helps...

What usually happens tho is when im on the 180 or 166 divider (the two ive tried so far) i drop my HTT down to 4x (since it dont hurt to go to 800 but it does hurt if you happen to go over like 1200 or get close to it) then i start to raise my fsb i get to 220 and when i restart to test it out there seems to be no video signal.. At first i thought I wasn't locking the vid card but after checking i see that it is locked at 100mhz.. reasearched the prob a little and it seems that other people have the same prob... what do you guys think i should try?

11. plac

plac Master Guru

GPU:
    (2) BFG 8800 GT 512MB in SLI
    I tried some overlocking tonight.

Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0ghz)

I changed my FSB from 200 to 210mhz, and it boot fine and seems stable. so im at 2.1ghz. my idle temps are killer,

cpu: 26C
    pwmic: 31C
    chipset: 34C
    graphics core: 45C

I cant say i notice anything faster.. and my 3dmark05 score only went up 25 points with this change.. but if i see no issues.. suppose i leave it?

ps.. it looks like my cpu multiplier is locked at 10X?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  12. Pnrrr

Pnrrr Member

GPU:
    club3d HD3850agp@830/1023
    Hi all you gurus ! I`m n00b in OC and i dont wont to start new thread , just need an advice . I overclocked my athlon64 3200+ to 2600mhz . Max i could get out of it is 2800mhz , but for every 100 mhs begining from 2200mhs i had to add +0.1v cpu voltage to get it stable. I stoped at 2600mhz with voltage of 1.7v . My idle temp is 36c and load is ~56c . So is it safe to leave it at 1.7v and with such temperatures ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  13. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You will notice more of a gain in 3dmark01 when overclocking your cpu.. 03 and 05 is more videocard dependent..

Sure you can leave it.. nothing like a little extra performance for free.. ;)
    You really want to keep the load temps at or below 50c.. so imo 56c is kinda high..

1.7vcore is a little more then I'd put into a a64 cpu.. If you've read this guide you would see this..
    So it would help to know which a64 core you have on your cpu.. ?!?!

Im guessing you have a Venice.. which is a 90nm cpu and you should stick with a max vcore of 1.65v..

14. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    Thanks to this briliant guide I managed to overclock my CPU to 2460 MHz. I know it's not teh uber overclock but I am happy with it. :)

I used these settings:

Multiplier: 10.0
    HTT: 246.0 MHz
    LDT: 4x
    Memclock: 333 MHz

[​IMG][​IMG]

With the stock cooler the temperature is 32°C at idle and 44°C at almost load (during the OCCT test, the maximum CPU usage was only 97,8%).

In 3DMark03 my score went up from 13900 to 14600.

I haven't touched the voltages yet. Probably with a better cooler there's more possible I assume.

Thanks again and keep up the excellent work! :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  15. FE4R

FE4R Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    I noticed this little setting in my bios,

"CPU Spread Spectrum" options are "disable" or "centre spread"

now, wtf is this? what is its purpose? will it affect my OC?

16. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @ MarcelB.. Congrads on your overclock !!

Check out this awsome bios guide..
    http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_Index.htm

Its best to set CPU Spread Spectrum to disable when overclocking..

17. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    So, Prime95 just caused my system to freeze after about three hours and played some alerting music. I have tried running the RAM with 220 MHz after 215 MHz went successful after eight hours of Prime95 torturering my rig. The CPU was dowclocked to 1540 MHz to exclude it being the reason for a possible crash.

However, you suggested when this happens an option would be to increase the VDimm with the warning that this could damage the sticks.
    Now my question: when does it start to be critical - at which voltage set? It most likely varies from module to module but is there some sort of reference point? I assume high performance RAM can manage the likes of 2.80 V with ease but what about the my Infineons? I know I could try and find out myself, but I am a little afraid of damaging them. Basically, I just would like to know where to stop to be on the safe side and not risking anything. I would appreciate something like this:

Thanks. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  18. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I dont see 2.8v being a problem at all if it gives you stability..

To be sure try and search around to see if you can get more info on the sticks you got.. Some ram will benifit from adding voltage and some would rather their timings be loosened up.. Finding this out is a important part of memory tweaking because it will help steer you the right way..

But if you cant find more info just try it... I would probably try to stay at 2.9v or below with that ram..

GL

19. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    There is always something Im wondering, if I overclock and the temps are low, can it still fry just because i upped the vcore, etc?

20. Catweazle

Catweazle New Member

GPU:
    2 x 6600GT
    That'd be rather unlikely, MasterBash.

It was mentioned earlier in the discussion that processors generally last for around 10 years or so, and that overclocking them may shorten their lifespan. Your aim is to ensure that 'shorten' doesn't bring its death into that window of time during which you want to use it, and if you don't allow it to run too hot you're unlikely to have that happen.

It takes a fair bit to make a chip go 'bang' straight up. You need to make rather excessive changes to do that, and if you've upped the voltage level and still have a chip which runs stable and cool then that doesn't really sound like it's stressed to any worrisome extent. If anyone makes big changes they should do so on the understanding that they just might end up having to chuck the chip in the bin and replace it.

But if longevity is an important factor for consideration then a more 'sensible' approach is necessary. Don't continually run the thing at its 'maximum potential'. When you overclock temps will rise slowly at first, then the temperature climb will accelerate as you continue. Monitor them as you overclock, and keep the thing down in the area where that temperature rise isn't all that noticable. That approach maximises your chances of the thing keeping on working for as long as you need it to.

Congrats on the guide, THunDA. It's well written and rather easy to follow. :D