Info on Dual-Channel

Discussion in 'Links' started by Twinke Masta, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    All games load 3x faster. Dahm that extra memory buying was good idea:D 2 differend memory and works Dual:)

2. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Yes and I am glad your happy with the results !!

Good for you

3. nepluto

nepluto Active Member

GPU:
    chaintech Geforce 6800 256mb
    Hi. i have 3x256mb sticks of Corsair XMS DDR3200C2 memory. i was wondering if i would get more of a performance boost by running a lower clock speed on my ram and a higher Cas latency or if i i should run a high clock and lower Cas. when my system boots the default setting for my ram is 400mhz at CAS 3.. but if i want to run it at CAS 2 for which it is rated i have to set the Clock to 333mhz. which would give better performance? thanks

4. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    by far 400 @ cas 3

After many many tests I have found that cas 2 , 2.5 or 3 no great difference but you with CPU at 400 then RAM@400 for sure

5. nepluto

nepluto Active Member

GPU:
    Well i just tested it and i got no boot.. dunno why.. maybe because my CPU isnt running at 400.. stock its 200X9.. but its Oc'ed to 245X9.. and when i set it so that my memory runs at 400 Cas3 it doesnt boot.. i tried just upping the clock speed and setting everything else to default and still no boot.. damn K8T neo-F1S2R.. always gotta be gettin me!

6. ghostkilla17

ghostkilla17 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GX2
    yur ram is not compatible with your board even if it did start it wouldnt be stable

7. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    A few people in this thread have said that dual channel is automatically emabled as long as the RAM is in the right slots and the 2 or more sticks are identical, yet after testing the bandwidth of my ram (2x 512MB DDR2 PC4200) ive found its only performing at like 4200mb/Sec. The RAM http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=301113&view=detailed is dual channel but the modules are sold individually and not in pairs. My motherboard is the Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro which has 2 DDR1 RAM slots and 2 DDR2 ram slots so the RAM is definitely in the right slots. Does anyone have a clue as to why im not gettin dual channel performance from the RAM?

And also, the price for 2 modules from the website above is about £140, yet ive seen the same speed and capacity modules at lower latencies at almost £140 for 1x 512MB module. Does the performance gain from these lower latencies justify almost twice as expencive modules??

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Memory doesnt have to be identical.

What program did u used to check memory speed?
    Sisoft and Everest show me normal speed of DDR266 but also it says max banchwitch 4100mb on dual...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  9. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    Yeh i used Sisoft Sandra Lite 2005, ive just ran the memory benchmark again and its 4800mb/sec when it shud be almost double that. It also tested the bandwidth on this old racing game and that came to 4100MB/sec

10. nepluto

nepluto Active Member

GPU:
    heres a quick question.. i can get 1024mb(512x2) of corsair XMS with timings 2-3-3-6 for about 190 or i could go with the same config of kingston for about 240 but with timmings of 2-2-2-6... would it be worth the extra 50 bucks to get the lower timings or would i not notice that much of a difference??

11. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I would go for the 50$ more its not that much more in this case

12. nepluto

nepluto Active Member

GPU:
    yea but is it a sizeable increase in speed..

13. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    No its not but with computers it is not one thing but all things together that make the speed, if you can afford it then do it, thats how I see it, if you got the money and dont mind spending it on your computer then do it.

:D

14. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Very simple question for very simple answer;
    What is difference in performance in let’s say 256ddr in dual channel and 256ddr in single channel?
    And please write to me if you are sure to the numbers (exp. you have tested in some benchmaht program, or read somewhere).
    Second do you have to had both (ram and mobo) in dual channel , or just the mobo has to be.
    Thanks in advance, your answers will help me a lot.

15. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    Why there is no reply

16. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    The motherboard needs to be dual channel for the ram to work in dual channel ..as for the difference its not HUGE just that any gain is a gain ... so when its there use it.

So you need a board that runs DC mode the ram needs to be good ram and same type.

17. branko47049

branko47049 Master Guru

GPU:
    G-A NX88T512H-B 512MB
    I bug you so much because dual channel boards are very rear in my country
    and i have to choose between RZ series from G-A, Asus`s NF2 and Abit NF2 (but i am not sure that is original).
    So from this to that how is the difference in performance(like 15%......)
    Thanks

18. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Well if your going to get a dual channel board then get the one you can find for the best price they are all about the same in the end.

They are all nvidia chipsets and all have about the same features so there is no real difference.

19. giakamo

giakamo Guest

Question about memory.. I hope this is ok in this thread...

anyone with the same mainboard ( A7N8X Rev 2 ) have problems using memory on anything except SPD settings?I am not able to change it to 100 % , 200% or anything.. I am able to change the timings but it has to pn spd or I get a long beep pause, long beep.. repeating...also it does not like cas 3 2.5 is ok but 3 gives me the same beep.. any ideas? thanks

20. Kermit_the_frog

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    Try to set your FSB at 166 then your RAM at 166 or 100% see what happens and 2.5 CAS is tougher than 3 because it is tighter try to see what happens at stock FSB