PCI latency? a Q for Gurus

Discussion in 'Links' started by Emile, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nealh

nealh Member

GPU:
    x1900XT CF @675/800 single card
    what about the nonagp settings...how do we determine safe changes..I really hate trial and error on this

2. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Voi~~~ I seem to remember hearing how NFS Hot pursuit and XP just refuse to get along....The newest underground 2 is a killer game.....

3. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Nealh the newbie......welcome, LoL, but you need to post your specs. or at the least let these wonderfully helpfull gurus know what videocard you have.
    Trial and error....thats gonna get you in trouble bigtime. Just leave em at 32 and if the Video card is any higher than 128, set it to 128. don't bother with anything else. good luck

4. RicardoMPX

RicardoMPX Guest

PCI Latency is defined as "the maximum length of time the device has to terminate the transfer and to relinquish the control, when there is another device requesting the control of the PCI Bus." The time is measured in bus cycles. Setting this value smaller allows better multitasking on PCI bus, when multiple devices are requesting the bus. However, smaller value will also decreases the throughput of the bus as there is some overhead occured for each transfer to start.

5. RicardoMPX

RicardoMPX Guest

The reason behind this phenomenum is unclear. Maybe the graphics card needs to send something to memory frequently so the program can determine the state of the current rendering and put the next set of data to the graphics card's texture memory. As this happens, AGP needs to be turned around.... from writing to graphics card to reading from graphics card. If the PCI latency is high, the delay for that read is long, so the program is stalled. If this is the case, then changing from AGP to PCIe will help and a speed up can be seen. This is because PCIe has dedicated channel for each direction of transfer, eliminating bus-turnaround and the fight for bus. However I am not a designer of graphics hardware I can't not tell which causes this phenomenum. It is just purely my speculation.

6. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

Hm interesting.

BTW I think that the main reason some new cards has ultra high latencies is becuase it increases their amount of FPS. This means that the competetive numbers looks better...
    However, when it comes to game experience having a high FPS isn't everything... smothness and good sound quality is two other things that has to be taken into account.

7. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Cool, I set the vga and sound latency to 64 and it made a good difference. Games are smoother and my sound is noticably better(no more popping!).
    Thanks for the great tip

8. krocodile

krocodile Member

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 285 SC
    Truely amazing!! :) I would highly recommend this for people who bought that crazy expensive piece of a video card and want to see NFSU2 work amazingly better. I have been overall dissatisifed with the performance of NFSU2 until now! Do you feel that the U.R.L races are lagging and almost feel like your system can't handle the graphics? Fear not, after I set my Latency to 64 it played soooo much smoother. There is the area on the map where you are driving through a bunch of lights hanging (kind of like a mini las vegas feel). I used to be able to notice the dip in my system performance when I hit that area... not anymore! I honestly know that I'm not just seeing things, or think it's better cause I want it to be. I don't play to many games to test out what else has improved. Now I feel more like I spent my money for a reason.. heh

9. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    If you have no other devices installed in the PCI slots, is there any benefit then of changing the latencies with this tool?

10. krocodile

krocodile Member

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 285 SC
    You know... that's a good question D. I noticed that all my other PCI devices were set to 32 already, so I didn't want to risk setting anything else lower. Lots of people in this thread said that 32 is the stopping point on the low end.

On another note though, this is definitely a "try at your own risk" program. I don't know if it was a fluke, but I was playing an online game and got a really nasty system crash. I'm going to do more thorough tests to make sure that my system is still stable with the 64 setting. I may move it up to 128 and see if that helps if the system acts unstable.

11. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

To make matters even more weird. Creative recommended me to test different settings from 0 to 32 on my Audigy 2 zs plat pro to see if the "pops" whent away... (yes even try 0).

12. NrthnStar5

NrthnStar5 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
    I went through the whole thread but couldn't find the answer, should I change it even for a PCI-E card? When i run the tool, Everything including the video card is set at 000 , with the exception of my tv tuner card and my soundcard hardware is set at 64. Should i change anything?

13. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    trial and error with PCIe,not sure if it has been tested on the PCIe yet or what the numbers should be.

14. Dias24

Dias24 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus N6800 GT 256 Megs
    Is there any frame rate drop in games? If so, how bad is it? Has anyone benchmarked it yet?

15. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    Supposedly there's a slight drop in frames, but in doing so it smooths out the frames, making gameplay more smooth.

16. Dias24

Dias24 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus N6800 GT 256 Megs
    My motherboard is fairly outdated (P4X266), and has no option to change the latency.

Is there any risk of damaging it if I use this program to lower the video card's latency?

17. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

Dias, my experience is a 500 aquamark drop in my GFX cards Safe mode. That not much considering that my Aquamark score is around 65000 in safe mode.

18. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

safe mode?

19. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

The Gainward Golden Sample cards has a safe mode and an enhanced mode.

Safe mode: 400/1100
    Enhanced mode: 430/1200

20. vochore starcru

vochore starcru Active Member

GPU:
    evga 670 ftw
    just started reading this today and going to try it tonight,but something i havnt seen any 1 coment on yet is the biggest game rt now thats having all theses stuttering problems....EVERQUEST2.

has any 1 who plays eq2 tryed this yet for the 6800 stuttering problems that has been 1 of the biggest gripes since the game came out.