PCI latency? a Q for Gurus

Discussion in 'Links' started by Emile, Jan 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

animatrix is the guy with the links :p

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yes im the google monster [​IMG] coming at you with a Favorites Folder of a staggering 7,35 MB (7.716.864 bytes)
    Containing 1.878 files in 194 folders.

No way im bookmarking all that again. lol [​IMG]

3. eviakhan

eviakhan Guest

Thanks for the reply. That what I did, extracted entire contents of zip file to its own folder. Then I ran the exe.

4. dai

dai New Member

GPU:
    geforce 8800 ultra
    just wondering is this pci latency the same setting as my pci latency setting in my bios?

5. KexboX

KexboX Guest

My VGA latency is at 000 what should i do ??

6. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    Are you looking at the line for your graphics card or the AGP bus?

The AGP bus is already set to 000. I would imagine that the setting is fine as long as you arent having any issues with it but if it IS worrying you then try setting it to 128 or 64.

7. KexboX

KexboX Guest

This line is at 000 -->
    VGA compatible controller - ATI Technologies Inc R423 5F57 [Radeon X800XT (PCIE)]

8. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6700XT
    oooooooh! Didnt know you had a PCIE card (not that it's going to make anything easier :D )

hmmmmmm, Animatrix Im over my head when it comes to PCIE, so maybe you can pull up a link?

You and your massive Favorites folder........ :D

9. bilston

bilston Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800GT
    Im able to run the program and set the latency and everything, and I checked Apply on startup. Yet, when I restart the pc, and windows loads, it comes up with the "could not load driver" error and fails to load.

Any idea guys?

10. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275

Man oh man, I think you may have set the wrong one.....You have to read some of the docs. before you go changing any of those settings... Google is your friend,,,, friend :)
    good luck

11. bilston

bilston Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800GT
    Ive read the readme, and changed the right one, theres only one listed that has 248.

Im presuming that I dont use the Quickset as the readme says that isnt stored.

I also clicked apply and save.

Weird :/

12. war59312

war59312 Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce GTX 470
    Tweakguides:

13. voivodian

voivodian Member

GPU:
    Asus 260GTX 216SP
    Great tool, really works. But...
    Does anyone see why the original AGP latency is 248? As said AGP bus is an accelerated PCI. AGP x8 gives some numbers:

PCI (32(33) x 8 = 256 (why 8 bits less, beats me...)

Just scale this down and add the story of slight framerate loss, it can make you think is the AGP rate here also scaled down, and was AGP accelerating a good thing after all? Im writing from a clean installed PC, so I don`t have riva tuner or Sandra to check out what else hapens with AGP rate when this tweak is done.
    Maybe I`m wrong, but it seems very connected.

This tweak helped my with my games a lot, really. I remember my pain after every new upgrade of my rig, avery time I thought "ha ha, now I nailed him right" and then a new dissapointment. Now, I see where was the problem. Far Cry is a complete new game now. No stutter at all. I must check NFS Hot Pursuit, I remember that game as the stutter champion :)

From the other side, I don`t see any improvements in Cubase and similar programs. Clicks that my audigy 2 loves to make are still here, but I must admit that I really didn`t updated my drivers for a long time.

Thanks, this is a good one ;)

14. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    what did you set your latency at for your GT ? i set mine to 64, and FarCry dint improve as much as i hoped ...

15. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Hi I downloaded the utility to try but it has my 9700 Pro at 32 already. No device is set higher than 32. Is the BIOS maintaining everthing at 32 by chance. I was surprised my video card was only at 32 now. I am using the ASUS Nforce2 Deluxe MOBO with onboard Soundstorm FWIW. I had heard that ATI drivers automatically raise the PCI LAtency but this doesn't appear to be true in my case.

16. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    I am not 100 percent sure but this really seems to be making a difference. I have been suffering from minor hiccups from games for a while not but they don't seem as bad now. I set my PCI latency to 128 from 248. This deserves to be a sticky!! THankyou please, you just made my muthafuking night :)

17. voivodian

voivodian Member

GPU:
    Asus 260GTX 216SP
    I was running Far Cry on 128 and it did really improved. Of course first running of game is always choppy, but when textures find their place in RAM, game really runs great, without those damn stutters which I could never get rid off earlier... even lowering settings didn`t helped. Now it`s ok.
    Not perfect, but much much better.

18. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

I have a slight problem. Everytime I change my latencies and click on the apply on startup and restart I get "failed to load driver" and the latencies aren't changed....

Anyone know a trick to help me out?

19. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    False alarm, new day and i put on UT2004 (onslaught) and i am still getting slight stutters every 5-10 secs. Source engine seemed to have benifited more.

20. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    (btw i cant use it , it says "error loading driver" everytime i boot)

okcpu and all the rest of you kiddies

have any of you taken 3 seconds to go in and make sure your video card and sound card are NOT sharing the same IRQ same with video and IDE or Sound and SATA or video and SATA
    if you know 2 cents worth of anything about computers you will know that when your video card shares an IRQ with ANY other LARGE device it will mess stuff up.(by large i mean sound, network, IDE controller SATA controller) by defualt typically sometimes windows will share the card with a usb adapter or a agp to pci adapter this is ok ive never had any issue when it does that)

cuz i bet almost everyone of you are.

this whole stuttering thing is getting out of hand,, and it isnt the drivers, it isnt the motherboard its WINDOWS and the way windows is handling 1)pagefile 2)memory 3) your slow ass hard drive

i have tried changing the latency on all of my IMPORTANT devices and nothing makes any performance change.

also sooo many people forget to open their game ini file like UT2004.ini or halflife.ini or config.ini and change the bloody cache setting by default the games ALWAYS have their cache setting to either 32megs or 64 change that fooker to 128 or higher. typically i believe 128 is best.

this has been a cure for poor fps and studdering and tons of other game related performance inssues for years and years.,

and just so you know, and some of you senios member will remember this also this tool has been around for YEARS and YEARS this is nothing new.

and no where even back then did this tool improve anything. alot of times it was used in conjunction with overclocking to add more speed to the entire system.
    It just had a different GUI back then

also there was another tool called AGPTimer.exe and still have it, it directly hits your agp latency.

WCPUCREDIT or WPCREDIT was the originator for this latency stuff and i still have it, its too bad h-oda quit making it. it was one kick ass application.
    it just got to be too much to keep up with all the new hardware that was coming out. except those of you who used it will remember it let you alter all kinds of wahcky stuff.

if it helps .. great... but dont just alter your video,, alter say your SATA controller if you use a pci card like i do, alter somthing else that might seem to have a high setting.

just dont change anything thats 32 already to a lower setting. and not a higher either cuz your asking to either lock your system or cause it to slow down or start having lockups.

pci devices are set to 32ms for a reason.
    AGP on the other hand,,,, well,,,, agp is goofy... 128 248 whatever works i guess. but the statement made above is correct newer video cards are gunna be 248 for a reason........