Sikkmod v1.2 Released

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by EL1TE, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    If you have NiukNiuk's Combo pack for Sikkmod 1.1 installed, you don't need to wait for NiukNiuk to update it to use it for Doom3.

Just renamed the old sikkmod folder to something like sikkmod1.1 and install the new sikkmod. Then copy the glprogs folder you want to use. I used POM so I copied the interaction.vfp and test.vfp from sikkmod/glprogs/pom into sikkmod/glprogs.

Then launch your doom 3 game, and select Sikkmod 1.2. Tweak your settings and it works. Make sure to enable high or ultra quality to get the correct texture effect.

As NiukNiuk said, you are only missing Venom's menus to launch the game and Sikkmod 1.2 for ROE.

---

BTW: I did a crap load of testing now just to see where the performance impacts are for my setup.

CFX has to be disabled (so cannot rename doom3.exe to serioussam.exe to force CFX)and AF MUST be set to APPLICATION in CCC or Radeon Pro for Sikkmod Color Grading LUT to work. If EITHER is enabled, LUT does not work correctly.

1x 6950 working
    AF set to application in Radeon Pro for DOOM3.exe or whatever you named it to disable CatAI.

I tried MLAA, 2xEQAA, 4xEQAA and 8xEQAA. 60+ FPS with hires textures and POM enabled. 42+ FPS with hires textures, POM and Sikkmod loaded but everything turned off. No difference even with 1x 6950 so that tells me this gpu has enough ROPS to push hardware AA and it is either a cpu or shader load issue with Sikkmod.

Did not test FXAA injection yet. Edit ... FXAA not available for OpenGL yet! :3eyes::bang:

Bloom - no FPS impact
    Color Grading - MATH or LUT settings - no FPS impact
    Color Grading Edge AA - No FPS impact whatever setting
    HDR only - dropped my FPS down to half ~ 20 FPS!
    Shadows only - dropped my FPS down to half ~ 20 FPS
    SSAO only - Drop FPS down to 23 FPS
    SSAI only - Drop FPS down to ~ 25-27 FPS

I tested almost all settings except for motion blur or DOF (no impact btw) and my preferences in order of most impact would be HIRES textures + HDR (tie), Shadows, Color Grading, then extra Bloom, SSAO or SSIL.

I have not tweaked SSAO or SSIL to realize the full benefits yet but HDR + Shadows alone makes the game look incredibly different. The bad thing is that with both HDR + Shadows enabled, it would drop my FPS down to ~ 8-10 FPS.

I did test forcing CFX on by renaming the exe to serioussam.exe but that limited Color Grading to MATH only - CG Sharpness and Edge AA still works, but both HDR and Shadows dropped the FPS down to ~ 12-15 FPS. Still totally unplayable. Adding SSAO and SSIL dropped it down to 8 FPS.

Changing the blur settings in either HDR, Shadows, SSAO or SSIL to and from Gaussian made no difference. Gaussian to me looks the best btw.

Lastly, the lack of AA in some screenshots are actually post rendering specular issues and not necessarily ATI's driver issues. I hope I am explaining it right but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The way HDR and Bloom works is that when it bounces light onto textures to light it up and/or make it shiny, the mod must re-render that part of the picture (after it has been processed by the driver with AF and AA) to make the surface appear lit and shiny, it throws away or did not include the previous AA work. Thus that is why Sikkmod must have edge AA to reprocess the edges again to remove the jaggies.

It also corrupts the AF which is why all the shiny surfaces have the "swirl" effect yet the other textures are filtered perfectly sharp and smooth.

If you play Doom3 without Sikkmod but with any AA enabled in the drivers, you will see it works since the drivers performs the final rendering with AA. You can also see it on non-lit shiny surfaces even with Sikkmod. Its only those parts where the surface or texture has been re-lit that you see the jaggies unless you enable Edge AA.

I've seen this in Deadspace 1 and 2 for example with driver AA enabled. All the shiny surfaces looks like it has no AA yet the rest of the scene including the player model looks near perfect with 8xEQAA. Even with MLAA which in the end is defeated since I think Sikkmod does the final render after the drivers.

RGB edge AA looks okay if you up the CG Sharpness. FXAA is actually worst than MLAA in that it blurs the overall scene even with CG Sharpness turned up. I think FXAA can still be tweaked for better balance though.

Its at this time I realize how much I miss Nvidia's superior OpenGL performance or the downsampling AA ability. The quality is there on the ATI cards (SRGSSAA), but OpenGL performance still needs work.

Can someone with an Nvidia card turn off all MS or SS AA and run this mod with full screen downsampling or FXAA on? I want to see if it cleans up the specular (shiny) surfaces without using Sikkmod's edge AA.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. sexus

sexus Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli
    i think id rather wait till niukniuk releases a complete updated pack

including 1.2 sikkmod for doom 3 and roe , including the hq menu

but thanks anyways valken

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Valken

Specular aliasing in Doom 3 was bugging me all along. I googled the hell out of it.
    Till I accidentally saw this. It seems that TrSS is full screen in Doom 3. Same like we got full screen SGSSAA because of an alpha test bug.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-------NOAA-------------16xS----------DS(3200x1800)-----DS+2xMS+2xTrSS-----4xMS+4xTrSS---

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yep i noticed it right away in doom3 (TrAA- 2x or 4x ssaa), but also it makes a little blurrier image compared to TrAA- msaa,.. it fixes those ugly floor fences 98%, but takes a hit when you see those demon fire balls.. from 60fps cap to mid 50ish or so.. i didnt like the look of that so i settled with traa- msaa :nerd:

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The hell you did!

I asked in Sikkmod 1.1 thread and nobody knew how to get rid of floor crap and specular aliasing.

besides... I still dont understaind what did u settled for in the end.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ha-ha *nelson laugh* lol

Well you would have noticed this right away if you're such an AA tweaker, TrAA is for fences and stuff like that :p

And that's the first thing i did when i noticed this crap on the floor. I enabled transparency aa and set to 4xSSAA and it disappeared, well most of it (~95-97%), but perf. hit was to much imo by IMP demons with throwing fire balls..

So now Im using TrAA - multi sampling, it has clearer picture, no perf. impact by those fire balls, but with only ~ 60-70% fixed floor shimmering.

With ingame 4xaa and enhanced to 16xcsaa, but with 1.1 sikkmod i had to lower to 8xcsaa, esp. if i enabled HDR and auto DOF or i saw drops to mid 40ish fps.
    Well i prefer 60fps if possible even if i have to disable SSAO or Softshadows or lower TrAA to msaa.:pc1::nerd:

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Re-check your screenies -> Nvidia's Transparency Multisampling does nothing in Doom 3 :)

4xMS+4xTrSS <-------TWIMTBP

[​IMG]

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yes it does, i saw it myself in motion..

ingame edge detect improves it for 40-50% add Traa-msaa on top and its ~ 60-70% vs TrAA- 2xssaa with 90-95%.

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @ Noisiv - Thank you for the SS! The DS + 2xMS + 2xTrSS looks incredible! All of my tests so far with EQAA (SRGSSAA) looks like your DS only SS with the specular aliasing ruining what would have been a good looking scene.

This is why I wish ATI/AMD would provide us a brute force DS method for older games and I know about the TrSSAA setting since I used it on my 465 GTX which is now my dedicated PhysX card.

I agree with TheHunter that it does blur the image slightly, so could you try to up Color Gradient Sharpness from between 1.0 - 1.4 to see if it would help make it looks more like the 4xMS + 4xTRSS screens?

In terms of getting rid of the aliasing, DS + 2xMS + 2xTrSS wins. I noticed it did cut your FPS nearly in by 40% though! :D Still not bad at 38 FPS. I'm dropping down 20 FPS with either HDR or Shadows on (single card).

Come to think of it, I'm going to try forcing Adaptive AA which is essentially TrSS to see how it may look on AMD cards and I noticed in testing Quake 4 yesterday, my Crossfire was fully working with working LUT settings in Sikkmod 1.1 Lite. So I will rename doom3.exe to quake4.exe and see how it goes.

Edit - I just renamed Doom3.exe to Quake4.exe, set AF in Radeon Pro to Application, set AF to 16x in autoexec.cfg in Doom3 directory and everything is working now! I can use Color Gradient - LUT settings with CFX enabled! No more graphics corruption.

But with HDR and Shadows on, I still drop FPS down to ~ 10 FPS so its either negative scaling or unoptimized OpenGL. Tried single card, AFR, Scissors and Supertiling. No change.

Can some Radeon 5970 or 5870/5850 CFX users test this to see if they are getting multigpu scaling with an older OpenGL from like 10.10e? I heard the 5xxx series guys had an incredible OpenGL driver which we 68xx/69xx do not have.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I am so glad you liked the screenies :)

Nvidia is so sweet with their AA bugs turned features.
    It's like my Mom...she makes all right cakes...
    but she makes an awesome cake when something goes wrong :)

I'll definitely try Color Gradient trick xD
    Hope you make it with CFX and Adaptive.
    Trouble with Adaptive is you can't combine it with supersampling, because it already has SS component, right?

And lastly, I was wondering why both Sikkmod threads were a bit sparse on AA details. There should be more NV/AMD specific posts concerning AA.
    Too many gurus think AA is just to battle jaggies :thumbdown

11. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I can't help you with AA settings, as I'm a REAL noob in this matter ^^

I just want a simple way to disable these jaggies everywere :(
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    it really kills the immersion IMO

And here's a screenshot with POM and every sikkmod setting enabled (except SSIL and sun effects)
    [​IMG]
    7fps :nerd:

(I'm using SSAO mode: Ray Marching, with gaussian blur)

12. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI
    I updated to sikkmod 1.2 with the patch but I still have the same problem I had with the regular sikkmod 1.1.

Whenever I cleanly install the sikkmod folder and start the game it will give me this error after the loading screen is done.

[​IMG]

After I restart the game and retry it will just send me back to the main menu after the loading screen is finished.

If I delete the folder and add it again it will give me the same error message. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

I installed the game on another computer and was able to play it fine with the same exact mods and settings.

Computer that worked:

AMD Athlon II X3 435
    8800gt
    3 gb ddr2 800
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Computer that it's not working on:

Intel i5 2500k
    GTX 570
    8gb ddr3 1600mhz
    WIndows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Game looks great but I wish I could get it to work on my new computer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  13. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Error "unknow weapon: pda"
    It looks like there's a conflict with a script/a weapon definition, the game can't load the "weapon_pda" definition.
    have you edited some files/added another mod ?

14. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI
    No I installed the game and added the same files on each computer.

The game will load fine if I remove the sikkmod folder and start it normally.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  15. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    doom 3 is patched ? (v 1.31)
    EDIT: ignore, I saw the game version on the console screenshot

Well, that's weird :(

16. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 970 SLI
    Yup on both computers

Like I said one of my computers has no problem playing it.

My new computer only gets the error and only when using the sikkmod folder for the original doom.
    Doom ROE works fine with it's sikkmod version on both computers.

17. PsyChoFOk

PsyChoFOk Guest

GPU:
    PALIT GeForce GTX570 S
    can someone please tell me why I'm getting this....

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

instead of the beautiful MOD you guys are playing. all I did was clean D3 install put niukniuk's 1.1 pack in the folder then overwrite it with the new 1.2 files. HELP PLEASE???

18. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    If you are using my pack, the venomhqmainmenu mod is not updated for the latest sikkmod version. So you won't be able to see the new options.

Use this version of the venomhqmainmenu mod instead:
    http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/22226667/file.html (modified for sikkmod 1.2)
    (extract it in sikkmod folder, overwrite the previous one)

Also, remove the old .vfp files from the glprogs folder, and use one of those provided with sikkmod's glprogs folder (choose a parallax effect, for example: POM, then copy its .vfp files to the root of the glprogs folder.)
    Don't forget that there's a patch for sikkmod 1.2, because some of these vfp files were not updated (search for sikkpin'spost in this thread).

Then:

- Do not force anisotropic filtering through the driver

- Delete your doomconfig.cfg file

- ... And by looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have activated the cell shading effect (sikkmod options/color). Its default values makes the game look like this.

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    That looks fairly cool actually! Doom 3 becomes Aliens! I need to try it just for fun! :D

20. PsyChoFOk

PsyChoFOk Guest

GPU:
    PALIT GeForce GTX570 S
    ok got it working but still having some issues. whenever I move to look anywhere I get like flashing black and sometimes for a split second looks like one of the textures zooms in and covers the whole screen. hard to explain without a video. so I will make and upload to youtube later. I don't know whats wrong.