Linux And All The Choices - Information To Help

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2007.

1. David the Gnome

David the Gnome Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    I'm running it on my "Ubuntu Box". I really like it although there's a lot of people out there who don't like it as much as the last release. I think if you have more modern hardware (which a lot of Linux machines don't) it's just fine. I've never installed or owned my own Linux machine until this one and I managed decently enough.

There were a few hiccups like Ubuntu labeling my hard drive as "Floppy 1" and trying to treat it like a 300gb floppy drive. It wasn't keeping me from using the drive but it was annoying having this Floppy 1 drive show up on the "Computer" screen even though I don't have a floppy drive installed.

It also took me over 4 hours to get my nVidia drivers installed. I was trying to do it without the internet since I didn't want to lug the entire rig into the living room so that I could reach it with an Ethernet cable (the rest of the house is wireless and my Ubuntu Box doesn't have a wireless nic). When I eventually broke down and carried the entire machine into the living room I was able to download a script called Envy which almost does everything for you. You still have to switch to root and enable a few things before it can work it's magic but it was a hell of a lot easier than trying to follow nVidia's vague instructions.

I even got Wine, which comes with Feisty, to work with WoW. It runs like absolute crap though (I'm still not entirely sure the drivers are installed correctly). That same rig with Windows XP ran WoW at 1280x1024 at 60fps (capped), in Ubuntu it runs at about 15 fps and the graphics look like crap.

That also reminds me, I had to edit some config files and look up pdf's of my monitor's manual in order to get the resolution above 1024x768. That was probably the easiest thing to do out of all the things I tried.

Best feature- Add/Remove Programs. The ability to view the entire catalog of free software and have it automatically downloaded/installed/updated at the click of a button was extremely impressive. Microsoft would have a hernia if they tried something like that in Windows. I also really like the Open: Office which comes with Feisty, I still can't believe it's free.

I also like how you can just type a few lines of text in the Terminal and it will download and install things for you. Assuming it works, I still don't think it's as easy as downloading a file and double clicking it to install.

My Ubuntu Box:
    Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) AMD64 Ver.
    eVGA AN8 SLI mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.2ghz)
    BFG nVidia GeForce 6800 GS
    2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 RAM
    Maxtor 300GB Hard Drive

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Ok...I take back the bad comments about linux...there is one extremely desirable distro out there and I dont know if anyone know this...

Its called Uberylbeta, I have just downloaded it of a toeernt site and its mainly ubuntu with beryl fully functional after the first install, aslo used anvy to get the latest nvidia drivers and prestro...no more lockups

3. Lantzvillian

Lantzvillian New Member

GPU:
    x850xt
    suse 10.x is great, that and redhat( has to be purchased to get updates and suport) way better than fedora.. In my class of 30 at university maybe only 8 could get it to run decently and not do terrible things such as fry my monitor which it did greatly.

Suse is by far the best all around desktop Linux distro.. The most widely used in Europe as well. Not to mention the opengl games in it are pretty dam good. Btw Linux isn't all that wonderfull to new hardware.. its designed by poor nerds and for extra computers ( other than servers, thats different )..hence horrible support for certain hardware:behead:

4. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    one extremely desirable distro, LOL, sorry not to be rude or anything, but from that statement, your Linux experience I can tell is very new.

There are many great distros, but you need to LEARN how to use Linux is all.

Don't expect this to be Windows, or as simple to get up and running and using.

If you want to learn Linux be prepared for a little learning, or be prepared for some frustration.

Linux doesn't suck, it's that you don't quite seem to understand what it is, or what it has to offer compared to other systems.

Every OS has it's Pros & Cons and no OS is perfect, you just have to find the one that suits your needs best. :D

The way this is going with you, you should try to play with OSX, you'll probably like it the best, or as Finch pointed out try PCBSD, which is based off of FreeBSD, but don't expect perfection there either. ;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007

5. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Actually I'm about to install Xubuntu downstairs on a PC, I'll tell you how it goes (I'm using 7.04). I think that the difference is that there's something (blocking on the freaking name >>) upgraded from 2.2.1beta to 2.2.2 methinks. Like the base of the product?

IDK, I swear I read it somewhere XD

Can anyone help me out though? Is there anything to know before moving to linux? It's already setup and I already have the partition ready.

Another quick question though, how would I install the program rdesktop on my desktop computer (windows)? I can't figure out how to get from downloading it off of sourceforge to getting it running.
    Help?

6. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    after using ubutnu 5 6 and 7 as well as kubuntu, i can say that it is a very nice neat little operating system, although it does require a little more than windows. it is a great os to run on older hardware to make it seem faster and is good for web browsing and making documents, as well as listening to music and watching videos etc

7. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
  8. yarvelling

yarvelling Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4650 1GB DDR2
    I'm new to Linux, having just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my system, and I love it!
    it's so fast, even with 3D desktop effects running, it detected ALL my hardware and installed drivers during the install with no fuss. My 8800GTS card was installed with no hassle either....just a couple of mouse clicks! Software updates are taken care of, and there's a huge library of software available for simple installation, straight 'out the box' with no messing around with the terminal; the terminal is something I was worried about!
    It has great media players built-in, and if it's missing any codecs, it just goes and installs them with another couple of mouse clicks; all so much simpler than with Windows! Plus by default it reads PDF files and of course, has Open Office 2.3 built-in.
    Fantastic stuff, and all free! I'd recommend it to anyone who is fairly used to Windows and understands the basics...Ubuntu 7.10, for me, just works! And makes sense!
    I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to try Linux as an alternative.....

9. DasFox

DasFox Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3200HD
    Links have been updated on the post, if anything gets out of date PLEASE PM me!

THANKS

10. bodean

bodean Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    Have vista on.
    Just got VM Ware workstation. How do I go about installing Ubuntu? Do I need to make another partition for it? Should I not use VMWare?

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ughh...once again i tried to get ubuntu installed into VPC, i can sometimes...sometimes get the install menu to load and install but it never boots into it.

isnt there a virtual machine thats freeware besides vpc?

12. herbster

herbster Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB
    You can try virtualbox, virtualbox.org. I run an XP virtual machine from inside Arch linux, mainly for company software that requires Windows (I'm not a huge Wine fan) and Palm Desktop.

13. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
  14. philippe.c

philippe.c Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte 460 gtx 2gb
    I have been using ubuntu 64 bit for 2 months now and I most say that I am impressed!!! really cool OS, no virus or hackers!!! I use windows only for games but really alots of games on wine. but the best thing its free, alots of support, and fast like a ferrarie!!.
    Hope to give a new start to this thead, heheheh

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I need to give ubuntu 64-bit a try but with vista it might be a little problem because of the boot loaders. :(

16. philippe.c

philippe.c Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte 460 gtx 2gb
    maybe.

I will chech this, and comeback to you m8.

17. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    Ubuntu UE

Here ya go for linux noobs this'll get your attention. http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition-20/
    I've been using Ubuntu for awhile and only use winders fer gamin. i tried Vi$ta and it only irritated me. Ubuntu UE rocks with Amarok player. BTW Ati now has linux drivers that are crossfire capable for the Linux kernel with the 4800 series cards. My 4850's are running in Xfire as I type this.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    About time for ATI to get Linux drivers out. Nvidia had SLi support for Linux 3 years ago.

How good pc that Ultimate Edition needs to run smooth ?

19. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    The whole eye candy on linux is not that intensive. Anything above a P4 2.6 with a card X1xxx or GF6xxx series and up is fine. Also a 1GB of ram.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeah... Got some laptop at school which is running Ubuntu (VMware) under Windows XP. I think it has S3 graphics, ram wasnt issue. I think CPU was core2. Just not sure about that S3...