Noctua NH-D15 question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by XcroN, Aug 12, 2014.

1. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    So iv'e got the D15 besides the OMG size i have a few questions:
    The cooler is 1.3KG (with fans) and according to gigabyte maximum recommended weight for a cpu cooler is 450G. I can safely use the D15?
    Another question: I noticed that becuse the size of the cooler (REALLY BIG) the top GPU is very close to the buttom of the cooler with only about 3-5mm space between them like in this picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/D4d6xvc.jpg

Can i safely enjoy the D15 or i need to do something special for it?
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1

2. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    That's a bit close isn't it? I see the fan clamps hovering ominously close to a couple of surface mount capacitors in the photo.
    Personally I would strategically place some Kapton tape over likely areas of contact
    http://www.kaptontape.com/1_Mil_Kapton_Tapes.php

The tape is good for a wide range of temps and a great electrical insulator.

You can get it in Israel too.
    http://www.pronatindustries.com/eng/catalogue.php?actions=list&instance_id=2&id=264
    Not sure about pricing - I use it at work...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    I will consider this solution.
    As for now i removed the D15 and rolled back to H110 untill i will resolve the issue with the top GPU :(

4. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    I would just Ignore gringopig.The NH-D15 is fine and the weight is no issue neither is it been that close to the card.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Isn't H110 much cooler or is fan noise the issue?

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    H100i is far noisier than an NH-D14 if that helps.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    But H100i isnt H110 :)

I know how loud H110 can be I have H90 with same fan, (had) bought 2x custom for PP.

Just found it a bit weird why would someone with a strong AIO wanna exchange for a 1.4kg? air cooler that's obviously less cool.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    the corsair all-in-one's aren't 'all that', the noctua's however are. :)
    simplez.
    I've seen many many cooler benchies over the years, always noctua is in the top pack.
    to get your monies worth you gotta go Kraken x60 and the like, though still compared to the silent noctua they ain't all that either, also noctua is half the price.
    when my rig is in silent mode it's difficult to say if comp is running or switched off. (I've four noctua fans and i'm gonna get another 14cm one and then they'll all be noctal bar one.
    a grinding water pump is off-putting to me too. and we have nice climate for air over here also.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No problem with silent air cooling, but of course, h2o is far cooler. But as for air cooling, it can be dead silent even under use: a friend of mine has a total air cooling based system with some i5 cpu and a radeon 7850, and you don't even hear it, and sometimes you need to check if it's running or in standby ;)

Still, if you don't oc, Noctuas are top notch coolers in my experience, and even work with gaming loads these days (tpd of 90w is no problem).

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    real water cooling is 'far cooler' yes, but the all-in-one's no, imo.
    going by online review benchies, and the fact the real water cooler gurus can do what us on air can't. i.e. Vet and Agent.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course I agree, that's the reason why I haven't got an aio until now, and don't plan to. True custom would be where one should go, although I bet it's hard to do, got some hooks and tricks you need to know, a bigger budget, and probably a lot more difficult to do.

I too would dream of a true h2o cooled system, but I don't even know where to start with all that, so I tend to stay with air cooling ;)

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I agree, if I had the free time and the free money i'd have a nice all water cooled rig.
    i'm sure i'd just marvel at it for ages lol.

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It would be a good reason to match colors then ;) But with air I seldomly look into the case, except maintenance (dust removing) or upgrades.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This...My H100i was nice while it worked but it was way too loud. The first day I installed my Noctua D15 I was amazed that my PC was almost completely silent. I walked away for a few minutes and my monitor went to sleep, when I came back I thought something might have gone wrong and the PC shut off, no it was just that quiet.

15. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    That's what I do! :banana:

While a real water loop is pricey you can keep the majority of it for a long long time so it helps. I mean you only really need to change the water blocks as/when required, but if you replace your GPU(s) frequently it could become costly.

Still it's the most fun I've had in PC building.

16. dfcdfc

dfcdfc Guest

GPU:
    gfx780
    Shalom there

I have the same mobo (Gaming G1), with 1 GPU only, an geforce 780. I am wondering, should I:
    A. put the GPU in the 3rd x16 PCIe slot and get an NH-D15
    or
    B. Get something that fits better like the mugen4 ?