Borderlands 2 + MSI 670 oc + Physx High

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mentalpeace, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bioCor3

bioCor3 Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    That's totally weird that bl2 has patchy performance on different systems. I use nvidia inspector and force 8xMSAA 8xSGSSAA using 0x080000C1 and downsample custom resolution at 3200x1800. Turn all in game settings up as high as they will go. Or maybe 4xMSAA 4xSGSSAA because my performance sucked, I don't remember.

I tried SweetFX but got frustrated trying to get vignette right so stuck with bits.

I've got my CPU at 4.6, but noticed the game liked 4.8 a lot better. Maybe these 670 series just don't have enough bandwidth from CPU because they are being throttled in certain situations (which is ridiculous considering potential these cards should have).

For instance GPU-Z says GTX670 is set at PCIE 2.0@x16 and Nvidia Inspector reports PCIE 3.0@x16, but my BIOS is set at PCIE gen2 as enabling gen3 crashes the system when it boots. The gigabyte GTX670 box says PCIEx3.0 and so does the Asus Motherboard box and specs on the website. 3770K was supposed to have a PCIE 3.0 controller.

Try and find a solution for why Z77 boards crash when set to PCIE 3.0 and you're lucky if you find squat or get answers from support. I've seen solutions for X79 but not Z77. Damn stupid and frustrating. WTF is PCIE 3.0 not working and WTF is up with the many frustrations many have with 670 cards. Most of the time 670 works fine, but then in some games it just is not performing, and where the hell did my PCIE 3.0 go?

http://ark.intel.com/products/65523 <- here it says 3770K has PCI-E 3.0

Dude where's my car?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    It'd be really nice if the nVidia reps could advise us how they are going with this... if anywhere. At least I get updates from Gearbox as to their investigation into the problem.

3. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    More DLC released - still no fix in sight. *sigh*

A shame this game was so fun...

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I'm having a ball with it and always have, coupe of unoptimized areas but what the hey!
    It's not like we haven't seen an unoptimized game before.

5. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    I wish I could say the same. I've absolutely loved the game for the first 130hrs - then I upgraded to a 670 from a 570 and the FPS problem hit. I simply can't play co-op with mates without turning Physx to low, the framerate gets so bad I feel nauseous... and reinstalling the 570 would mean my other games would suffer.

It'd be nice to know that the problem is being worked on. I've got a support case with Gearbox open but they haven't replied to me since before Christmas, and we haven't heard anything in here aside from the bug being reopened by Manuel a few pages back.

:/

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    It was a shame they never included an in-game benchmark tool, cause with one we could configure the game through software /hardware and be able to see the results and take it from there.

7. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Then use the 570 as a dedicated physx card - problem solved.

8. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    That might not work too well. I experimented with a GTX 460 as a dedicated PhysX card and I got worse performance over using just a single 680.

9. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Yeah I also saw no performance benefit using a GTX 460 dedicated to PhysX with my GTX 670. If anything I got a few more fps just using the 670.

10. BuBBle.D

BuBBle.D Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Thats weird. I had the same issues with the FPS dips that so many 6X0 users describe, but after installing the 560ti just for physx, those problems are history.

11. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    Might give that a crack, but really shouldn't need to do that. The 570 now belongs in another machine, which won't be able to play any games without it.

(not to mention that since Australia's having a heat wave, i don't need my PC putting out any more heat into the house!) ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Jexx

Jexx Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF3 GTX 670
    Yeah its a shame the PhysX is so poorly coded in this game. My GTX 670 can only run the game with PhysX on low, or it stutters so badly its practically unplayable.

It's a shame really, since I can max out BF3 and it looks gorgeous, and honestly Borderlands 2 lack of support means I won't be buying any of the xpacs till this issue gets addressed.

13. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    What resolution? My 670 is fine with physx at high. 1920x1200.

14. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    BF3 has no PhysX so that isn't a proper comparison. As much as I like PhysX, I honestly don't think it's really worth the trouble. Most games perform soo horribly with it.

15. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    Has anyone else here logged a case with Gearbox software?

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I'm more worried about the level cap increase before end of march supposedly, spent over 100 hours in-game for some uber weaons that soon will be worthless.

17. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I have a case with them, but it took 2 months to get the response of they will be getting back with me soon on my issue. That's been almost 2 months ago. Not very hopeful they will be addressing this issue.

18. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I am worried of that too, but hoping the implement a different type of level. Maybe something like applying experience to badasspoints... And somehow increasing difficulty of the bad guys...

19. playswithfire

playswithfire Guest

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    Of course you are, since by your own admission, you're not affected by this problem.

PM me your case number and I'll email it to them, I am actually getting (sporadic) email responses.

20. Jexx

Jexx Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF3 GTX 670
    I know BF3 doesn't have PhysX, my statement was more just a reference for system specs. Meaning if a comp can run BF3 at Ultra, you know you don't have a subpar machine and it should be able to handle most other games, including BL2.

And to the other poster, I'm running at 1920x1200 as well.

The odd thing about this "PhysX bug" is that it seems to affect so many people differently. Even people with almost identical setups and driver versions, one person runs buttery smooth and the other gets massive stutter.

Sadly, I don't have any other games that utilize PhysX, so I can't hammer down if its a BL2 issue or Nvidia driver issue.