UD5H Z77 Problems

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Erqury, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Hi, So i just bought a 3570k and a UD5h Z77.

This motherboard has been a nightmare.

Current issue is I can't get my 6950 to display on my monitors when i install it and the connection I have to the MOBO won't display bios if I have the graphics card in.

Can't see any screens with any connection. Very frustrated. This is not my first build.

Other problems I ran into but got around included having to unplug many USB connectors to post. If you are upgrading from a non eufi motherboard to this you will have issues when installing windows 7 on previous harddrive unless you delete all partitions and reformat.

Any suggestions about the graphics card not displaying?

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    By default the UEFI build is designed to automatically detect and run in PEG (dedicated graphics) mode. You must ensure that all connections are connected and if it doesn't post read the debug LED and look up the code in the manual.

Does it boot into Windows and allow you to use your graphics card even without being able to enter the UEFI interface (wrongly called "the BIOS screen")?

There can be many issues tied to the problem ranging from bad graphics hardware all the way to a faulty board. I personally own this board and this has been the best motherboard I've built machines with since I started building rigs.

As for the Windows 7 installation issue, it sounds like you booted your Windows 7 DVD off native UEFI mode which is what it suppose to do, it requires you to repartition your drives using the GPT scheme instead of the older MBR partition scheme that BIOS has used for the past 4 decades. Just simply boot your DVD into BIOS emulation mode would have kept your existing partitions intact (you do lose out on new features and performance by using BIOS emulation but is default and kept for compatibility reasons).

To boot into BIOS emulation mode, just select the boot drive as you normally instead of drives that have "UEFI:" tagged in front of it.

This issue will happen on any UEFI board that has ditched the obsolete BIOS for the new UEFI.

As for USB booting issue, I haven't found any issues with that unless you have like tons of USB devices that uses USB hubs and connect it to the motherboard while it's booting. I've populated all my USB ports at the back of my desktop just as a test (no USB hard drives though since I don't have any of those), and the system booted without problems.

The only problem I have found which isn't important, but just a slight bummer is that it can't boot my USB 3 memory stick properly when plugged into the USB 3.0 ports even though they're natively powered by the Intel southbridge. I'm currently making do with just plugging them in the USB 2.0 ports for now.

deltatux

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Erqury

Erqury Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Thanks deltatux, before I got to reading this I did finally get the video card to install I had to cycle the power off and on a few times to get it to trigger.

As for USB issues I installed a 920 antec cooler with an internal USB head, this cAused issues. The system wouldn't let me into eufi I I had my logitech wheel USB plugged in.

Also finding that if older hard drives are plugged into data while I try to boot to windows it keeps failing.

Not sure if I would buy gigabyte again at this point it has been very frustrating.

On the bright side getting the full 6Gb sata on my ssd is smoking fast an my idle temps with 3670k and 920 on silent mode are about 30c