Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game looks great from what I've seen of it. Sure, it's another third-person open world sand box type game but these are exactly the kind of games I like. Cannot wait to play it. Shame it comes out two days before the Nintendo Switch and Zelda: Breath of the Wild as I suspect that no matter how good Horizon Zero Dawn is that I'll be investing most of my time into the new Zelda game. Good time to be a gamer, no matter how you at it, though. :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PS4 only. You only need to buy one copy this time. ;)

3. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Currently has a score of 88 on Metacritic after 52 reviews.

GiantBomb | 5/5

Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date.
    Cogconnected | 10/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is a sweeping epic, magically dancing across the lines between sci-fi and fantasy, masterfully intertwining two genres that traditionally have held their own space in gaming. It is Guerrilla Games' crowning achievement in video game development. Words cannot do justice for what you need to see for yourself.
    Independent UK | 10/10

Playstation Lifestyle | 10/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is an early contender for game of the year. Guerrilla Games has outdone themselves, in astounding fashion. This is a glorious game, the result of a team of masterful artisans who not only had a story that they wished to tell, but a world that was living inside of them which they wanted to share with us all. Now, we get to play inside their creation, and it is a breathtaking experience to behold. A massive, open world filled with equally massive, terrifying robots, juxtaposed against the beauty of the Earth, nature fighting back the darkness as it tends to do. Horizon Zero Dawn is the kind of game you play to get lost in, and can be enjoyed by players of all types. This could be the beginning of a stellar franchise, and there is something for everyone here. If you own a PS4, you owe it to yourself to give Horizon Zero Dawn a go.
    Twinfinite | 5/5

Its magical world is a wonder to explore, it controls and looks exceptional, and the unique, modular build of its enemies ensures that combat never gets old. Yes, items could have been more accessible, and I was left with more questions than answers by the end, but these were mere speed bumps in the bigger picture. Horizon Zero Dawn is the PS4’s first major exclusive of 2017, and it couldn’t have gotten much better.
    Telegraph UK | 5/5

On the surface, Horizon seems like a jumble of influences but, just like the murderous machina wandering its lands, the game is far more than its component parts, delivering a gripping story, satisfying combat, and the most gorgeous video game environments I’ve ever seen. Horizon confidently carves out an identity of its own in an overpopulated genre.
    CheatCodeCentral | 4.9/5

Heading out into the world of Horizon Zero Dawn to take down these massive machines is an exhilarating feeling, which combines well with a story that gradually unfurls and engages its audience.
    GameOver Online | 9.8/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is Guerrilla Games’ best effort, one of the PS4’s greatest games, and the best game ever crafted from the ground up for the platform. It combines a gripping narrative with intense action that blends both fast-paced combat with slower-paced, tense stealth sections perfectly. Everything about their vision for this game clicks into place and is accentuated by a stellar presentation. The game features top-shelf graphical work, a unique and enjoyable soundtrack, alongside a fantastic cast to make an unforgettable experience.
    XGN | 9.7/10

Guerilla Games has set the bar while it ventures into a new genre. The game looks phenomenal, and it offers variety, tens of hours of fun and an accessible system. It challenges you in every fight to play intelligently. This may be the best game of 2017.
    Aus Gamer | 9.6/10

While the main storyline was lacking, there's a reason good world-building is critical to good fantasy, and like I said, this game nails it. I loved about the game was the way it used Aloy's Focus to force you to examine things. Each new area becomes a crime scene as Aloy examines and analyses what's been left behind. It's a clever way to blend the idea of technology into this otherwise primitive world.
    PSX-Sense.nl | 9.5/10

Gamer.nl | 9.5/10

It's not often that a game of this caliber lives up to all expectations. Horizon Zero Dawn starts slowly, but transforms in a huge action adventure. We haven't been obsessed with a virtual world to this degree since The Witcher 3. Horizon impresses in every facet imaginable.
    InsideGamer.nl | 9.5/10

This game is so much more than a survival trip through the wild, ***8203;with a ***8203; the brilliantly realized ecosystem with numerous 'robot animals'***8203;. ***8203;This game implements influences from all sorts of games and movies from the past years ***8203;***8203; perfectly to form a new classic.
    Arcade Sushi | 9.5/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is compelling from the first minutes of the game, telling an incredible story and marking it with a deep crafting system and exceptional combat. Aloy is inspiring in her lead role, with the potential to become a new leading face in gaming for a long time to come.
    Tweakers.net | 9.5/10

Zwame | 9.5/10

God is a Geek | 9.5/10

It’s been a long time since a game has been put together this well. The combat is awesome, the visuals are stunning, and Aloy is 100% badass.
    Polygon | 9.5/10

Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.
    Playstation Universe | 9.5/10

Horizon Zero Dawn reinvigorates open-world RPGs with an excellent story, creative science fiction, and demanding gameplay. Aloy’s debut is one of PS4’s greatest games.
    Hobby Consolas | 9.5/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is Guerrilla's biggest game to date, and not just from a technical standpoint. It's also one hell of an action RPG, thanks to a complex and satisfying combat system. The story and universe are also huge; Aloy's future is already shining on the horizon. A star is born.
    Jimquisition | 9.5/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.
    IGN | 9.3/10

Across a vast and beautiful open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn juggles many moving parts with polish and finesse. Its main activity - combat - is extremely satisfying thanks to the varied design and behaviors of machine-creatures that roam its lands, each of which needs to be taken down with careful consideration. Though side questing could have been more imaginative, its missions are compelling thanks to a central mystery that led me down a deep rabbit hole to a genuinely surprising - and moving - conclusion.
    AreaJugones | 9.3/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is as good as everybody expected. A powerful narrative and solid gameplay make this Guerrilla game one of the best titles that 2017 has to offer.
    Everyeye.it | 9.2/10

Guerrilla Games did it. Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the best Open-World games of this generation. It's a wonderful action-RPG set in a vast and unforgettable universe, with a solid (but conventional) plot and - most of all - challenging gameplay.
    Meristation | 9.2/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is probably the best Guerrilla game ever and one of the most solid open world experiences that we've seen recently. A true must-have for Playstation 4 owners.
    IGN Spain | 9.2/10

There's so much to love in Horizon: Zero Dawn. You may love its gameplay, its magnificent world, its crisp visuals or the excellent sound design. An experience that's worth taking.
    Gameblog.fr | 9/10

Few new licenses have been successful in setting the bar so high. Thanks to its varied, dazzling landscapes, its controlled rhythm, and sharp gameplay, Aloy's quest redefines what immersion in an open world means, if it does not revolutionize the genre.
    GamePro | 9/10

Forbes | 9/10

No, Horizon probably isn’t as monumental of an experience as playing Uncharted or God of War for the first time, but it’s well-made, engaging and probably worth your time.
    Gamespot | 9/10

Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation.
    RPG Site | 9/10

I took approximately thirty-five hours to complete Horizon Zero Dawn’s main story, but the first thing I did after I finished was dive right back in. There were still exciting quests to do, gorgeous places to discover, and fascinating characters to meet. I’m still falling in love with this world and all the magnificent things it has to offer. Guerrilla Games has created something truly impressive and memorable with their first dive into the genre, and I have only endless excitement for all that’s in store for the future of this universe.
    Push Square | 9/10

Debuts don't get much stronger than Horizon: Zero Dawn. Guerrilla Games' latest borrows liberally from a variety of different sources, and yet it leverages these fundamentals to forge an experience that's daringly unique. The main quest tires a little towards the end, and the writing never hits the same highs as The Witcher 3 – but the tactical action stands leagues ahead of what we've come to expect from the genre, and the presentation is quite simply unmatched.
    Gamereactor UK | 9/10

Gamereactor Spain | 9/10

Gamer.no | 9/10

Horizon Zero Dawn takes the best traits of the open-world genre and melts them together into Guerrilla's own, polished and refreshing vision. The voice acting, nuanced character roster and many fun ways to approach combat makes this a game I’d gladly see become Sony's next big flagship franchise.
    The Games Machine | 9/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is a nice surprise because rarely is a game such as this is able to surpass expectations. It isn't just a game with a great plot; it isn't just a technical marvel; it isn't just a game with great, addictive gameplay mechanics. It is all of these things and much more. It is, above all, an Aloy that shines on its own, able to rise as the new PlayStation female hero.
    LaPS4 | 9/10

Horizon Zero Dawn is a nice surprise because rarely is a game such as this is able to surpass expectations. It isn't just a game with a great plot; it isn't just a technical marvel; it isn't just a game with great, addictive gameplay mechanics. It is all of these things and much more. It is, above all, an Aloy that shines on its own, able to rise as the new PlayStation female hero.
    Merlin'in Kazani | 9/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn starts as Aloy's personal story and then turns into a bigger, wider experience. Thanks to its fantastic and stuffed open world, its one of the best games of 2017 already.
    GamePlanet | 9/10

Guerrilla Games' punt on a new IP has paid off handsomely, as despite its silly title, Horizon Zero Dawn is a magnificent open world action-adventure that lives up to its hype.
    Next Gen Gaming Blog | 9/10

Press-Start AUS | 9/10

Eurogamer.it | 9/10

ShackNews | 9/10

When I began Horizon: Zero Dawn, I was anxious it wouldn't be able to maintain itself for thirty-plus hours. I'm thrilled that fear was unfounded. The play was constantly rich and rewarding, and the mysteries constantly unfolding. I'm left not just feeling satisfied the entire time, but wanting more. This one is something special.
    Hardcore Gamer | 4.5/5

Trusted Reviews | 4.5/5

I didn’t expect Horizon: Zero Dawn to be this good. I doubt I’ll be the only one saying they were surprised that the Killzone developer has been able to deliver a game with such breadth, depth and consistently rewarding gameplay...Couple all of that with a compelling story led by an engaging lead protagonist and you have a brilliant game, an absolute must-buy for all PS4 owners...Those with a PS4 Pro and an HDR TV will find an even more beautiful experience on offer, but everybody who plays Horizon: Zero Dawn is in for an absolute treat.
    GamesRadar | 4.5/5

An open-world that tailors to each and every interest, Horizon: Zero Dawn keeps combat fresh, with an intriguing protagonist to match.
    We Got This Covered | 4.5/5

Horizon Zero Dawn is a stunningly gorgeous game, an awesome open world action-RPG that overcomes the gameplay conventions of the genre by giving you so many options on how to tackle combat. It does stumble a bit trying to tell a cohesive story, but I was too caught up in exploring all the little details of the world to let that bother me.
    Multiplayer.it | 8.8/10

Vandal | 8.8/10

A spectacular and entertaining open world adventure that becomes one of the must-have exclusives of PS4.
    Game Informer | 8.75/10

None of Horizon's faults stopped me from sinking 55 hours into the game, or walking away supremely satisfied with the experience. Horizon may not be a revolution for the open-world genre, but it is a highly polished and compelling adventure that proves Guerrilla is more than a single franchise.
    New Game Network | 8/10

Metro | 8/10

State-of-the-art visuals help create one of gaming’s most entertaining open worlds, even if the gameplay doesn’t quite reach the same standards.
    Videogamer | 8/10

Destroying large robot beasts while frantically switching between weapons is intoxicating, but the strength of Horizon Zero Dawn is in Aloy's engaging quest to find out who she really is.
    The Sixth Axis | 8/10

The Daily Dot | 8/10

The open-world sensations of Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the best of the current console generation. Climbing snow-capped mountains and crawling through verdant valleys never fails to be as exciting. This apocalyptic wasteland feels remarkably dynamic, with randomized characters and enemies roaming the world and creating emergent encounters...Though Horizon doesn’t represent a revolution in open-world adventures, it borrows heavily from past success stories and elevates the genre to a beautiful new standard.
    Easy Allies | 4/5

Destructoid | 7.5/10

Stevivor | 7/10

Gamekult | 7/10

USGAMER | 2.5/5

The Verge | No Score, Recommended

Ars Technica | No Score, Buy It

Eurogamer | No Score

Kotaku AUS | No Score | Impressions 1 | Impressions 2

Gamersyde | No Score[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Wow, what overwhelmingly positive reviews.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I guess that's why they let the game be reviewed 8 days before launch. How many other games can you think of that allows that? None.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well, Witcher 3 for a start.

I've seen some reviews be a bit critical of the story and open world, saying nothing ground breaking. Imma hold off a bit to see user feedback and maybe a price drop

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    I was gonna get that one for sure, but now it looks like I’m getting it day one!

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I never liked Witcher 3, or wanted to buy it. Not since the joke of a release Witcher 2 was on the PC. I know Eurogamer hasn't given it a recommended seal, but then again I wouldn't trust a word they write. NeoGaf users have been saying nothing but good things too for those who have played it early.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    good reviews so far. a must have game for 2017

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wow! no slowdown at all omg, or well 1 fps lmao

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh my god, I'm totally sold...time to pre-order my very first AAA PS4 title! I also love the idea of the Performance patch for Pro owners. If I could wish for anything, it would be a 1080p/60fps mode for Pro owners. Though I think 4K is simply no something one would want to trade down.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Now we know why Kojima favoured Guerrilla's game engine for Death Stranding. It's rock solid.

16. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    One reason to get the digital download is that you don't need the Disc.
    Inserting a disc feels so 90s :p

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i am so hyped

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Is the game anything special? From all the videos i´ve seen the game seems to be another boring open world game...

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    A lot of the games story has been kept under wraps to prevent spoilers.

20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The fact that they gave reviewers a full 8 days before launch to review the title is testament alone. Think this game lived beyond the hype.