Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I bet that sound good, I trying to get my hands on Two OPA827's on adapter's or Two OPA2111AM's but they are not cheap.

I think the LME49860NA is a dual channel version of the LME49990NA which I also have installed in my gustard H10, it sound good but the brightness. So i trying find some Single channel op-amps that Dark sounding in the highs while not changing the sound too much.

2. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Guest

GPU:
    WB Asus Tuf 4090
    What drivers are you guys using? I have a Auzentech X-fi forte that id like to give a go on windows 8.1

3. pelopidas

pelopidas Guest

GPU:
    HD7970

agree. 797BRZ are the ones you want. very clean and extended

4. pelopidas

pelopidas Guest

GPU:
    HD7970
    Best and fastest mods for AD797 and LME49990

I've tried all popular opamps in my Xonar in the last 4 years. I kept coming back to AD797 in I/V and 49720HA in buffer. Thats a pretty decent sound but it wasn't right. The desire to keep messing with it, straining to listen deeper into the recording leads to trying all kinds of opamp variations. "its too sibillant.. the bass is flabby... where is the bass?..the soundstage is small or muddy..."
    Well, after playing around for 4 years, the solution is stupidly simple.
    The soundcards themselves do not have their sockets properly bypassed. Also they are using "good enough" components for the bypassing that they are doing.
    The LME 49990, 49720, 49710, AD797 and all other awesome opamps are oscillating and also being fed dirty power from the PC.
    After reading these different fora for years, you will come across adding compensating capacitors in the 50pf range from the output to the neg feedback. Did that. Didnt make me happy. Something else was wrong. Try adding 0.1uf from + to -... well that didnt do it either. Also, the socket itself is already bypassed with 0.1 on the PCB.
    The trick is to put 10uf on the chip from + to -. I use Silmic II because they are generally my favorite. Before, the 49990 in buffer would get between real warm and actually hot. Now it is barely above ambient. The AD797 sounded good in I/V but I kept wishing it had more Bass, more fullness in sound.
    What changed after adding the caps?
    1. Most noticeable is that the music has gained two octaves of bass. It goes so low, I had no Idea how much i was missing out on. Its low, low and full and rich and controlled and has volume that moves air.
    2. The separation of instruments, their definition and texture is much more visceral.
    3. The background has become black. I thought I used to know what that meant when people would say that music comes out of a black background and floats in space. It removes a haze that you couldn't put your finger on.

So, anyone wondering about the AD797 and LME49990 absolutely need to try this cheap and simple mod. 10uf Elna Silmic II across the power pins of the opamp. Its the cheapest, fastest mod out there and has spectacular resuslts.
    Oh, also remove or bypass with wire any output capacitors. On the Xonar this increased the dynamics appreciably.

[​IMG]

try it out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Have any one here used the LT1677,LT1155 and OPA627AU, I Curious on they all sound, I do have the LTs on the way here, but I been eyeing some OPA627AU's. Just wanna know what I getting into before the two LTs get here and so i know what to expecet from the OPA627AU if i do decide to get them. There gonna be used in my Gustard H10 amp.

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The 627 are one of the top opamps according to the feild. I am personally not all that impressed with them. They are good but as with any opamps, it depends on what type of sound you are after. I think I still have a OPA627SM and OPA637SM. -those are TO-99 metal can units. Dual channel modules.

What do you need for your unit Gen, just a dual module for output?

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Nice work!
    Sorry I couldn't offer more help but I am back now.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I currently have 2x AD797Brz in my single channel lots in my Gustard H10, so I need 2 pairs of OPA627's for the dual channel sockets, as the gustard has Two sockets for 2 channel op-amps and 2 sockets for 1 channel op-amps.

I seen people mentioned the OPA627 was warm with a deep and spacious sound stage. How are the mids of the OPA627SM's?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    They are a very balanced opamp from what I can remember.
    A set of 827s might be a better way to go for your rig.
    Especially given the price.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I researched about the OPA827 and they wont be a good pair with the type of sound i looking for or with the Two single channel AD797BRZ's that I have in Gustard H10 single channel sockets which i using now, Which I like their 3Dish sound stage with Smooth and Very Detailed Highs and Good bass.

I should had mentioned that I was eyeing the OPA627AU so you know which OPA627's I was talking about that suppose to have that type of sound i mentioned.

As I found a good deal for the OPA627AU from the same seller I got my AD797BRZ from affordable. I Currently have 2x LT1489 paired with the 2x single AD797Brz's for now but they not exactly what i want until i figure out which has the type of sound that i looking for.

Do you know any other op-amps that might have that type of sound that I am looking for, I have 2 op-amps that warmish and none of them have the type of sound i looking for.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

11. lesovers

lesovers Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900 XT
    The best op-amp very much depends on the design and the quality of the passive components and power supply used in the design. Also it depends on the purpose of the amplifier, unity gain buffer, high gain amplifier ....????

Take a phono pre-amp design for example, with poor quality passive components a AD825 is a good match as this is a very forgiving part. I have never liked this guy however.

With the right design and best matched passive components assumed hard sounding op-amps such as the AD8620 and the AD817 (Graham Slee Gold V) can sound absolutely fantastic.

So to sum it up there is no perfect op-amp and like the rest of the hi-fi equipment it is the excellent design and the matching of components that is the secret here:)

Les

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been found the type of op-amps that had the sound i wanted. My number 1 is the V5-OPA-D and V5-OPA-S's which are dual and single's inside my Gustard H10. My Number 2 is the V5-OPA-D with the OPA627's. I currently waiting on the seller to send me my other two pairs of OPA627 that he forgot to send me. So I can try out Two Pairs of OPA627AU's on two Dual to single op-amp adapters with the AD797Brz I have.

I been swapping op-amps for many years now besides Vacuum tubes and of course people will have difference likes and dislikes on different op-amps. I was trying to get a idea before hand. But I decided to just go for them instead of waiting for some one to relay their opinions on the sound.

13. kaval

kaval Guest

GPU:
    asus
    I am new to this forum.

I have asus essence one dac cum HP amp. I need your advice regarding the best combo of op amps based on your experience or understanding.

I can get the following op amps in good numbers, which means that I could place them at any section:

OPA827
    LME49990
    49720HA (metal)
    49720NA

Which one to use in I/V, LPF and buffers?

I mostly listen to jazz vocals, western classicals and instrumental music.

Kindly advice. Thanks in advance

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Sadly I don't have an essence one dac so I don't know how the layout is. But the LME49990 which i found has an transparent type of sound. I haven't used the OPA827 or the LME49720HA in ages, so I don't recall how they sound.

I currently using LT1498 with OPA627AU's In my Sound blaster ZXR, which I find to work very well for all types of music that i listen to so far, It kind of Neutral or close to it, just wish the bass was an little more refined, I used to have some AD797Brz that I wish i kept.

It be easier to help you if you tell us the type of sound that you are looking for. That way some one will be able to help you.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    If you put the op-amps inside of an circuit that is design for them then of course they won't change the sound much if any at all, but we are putting op-amps inside circuits that was not design for them , which causes the op-amp to change the sound signature of the devices, To tweak the sound signature of the source or headphone amp to one liking. Of course no one should be blind rolling them as not every op-amp will work for audio and can cause issues when it doesn't work, such as making screeching sounds and other issues.

I been doing for many many years now, I always write down what i hear after weeks of listening and then compare notes. I never use audio memory because you wont remember the exact way something sounds.

I seen people pasting links to his blog all the time when ever op-amp is mention, op-amp swapping is not placebo at, not when your using them in devices that they are not made for and it really does change the sound signature. also I won't stand for some one telling me what I hear and don't hear either. Also graphs doesn't always tell you how something going to or sound til you actually hear it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Mufflore likes this.
  17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    What was the go to op-amp for the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude? and is it hard to change them? Will it make any difference with headphones?...

Chess likes this.
  18. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You really need to be a technical person to do this. I wouldn't do it, it's scary if you botch it.

19. toontrooper

toontrooper Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 430
    Question from a Newbie(gulp!)

I've just purchased a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium SB0880 PCIe(golden oldie, I hope, it will probably need a capacitor refurb/upgrade!). Also, I'm looking to hook it upto an external, (relatively hi-spec) Technics' CD player via the player's analogue RCA outputs - either via a compatible Sound Blaster X-Fi I/O Drive accessory - though I am confused as to the correct model no. Or alternatively via a hardware mod/workaround: so as to obtain analogue RCA input to the card. If anyone has any input or can point me in the right direction, then that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020