ATI Radeon HD 5870 review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Great review as always, tempted to save up for one of these, but it really won't be necessary (not that it'll ever be necessary, but you know) for me for a good little while yet - my 260s are still more than enough for everything out there and should continue to be for at least another 6 months or so, probably longer

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Damn.

And the 5870,

Also damn.

3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well you have to admit that getting twice the FPS than before in Crysis would be nice :p

4. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I think i will be converting from the green monster to the red......depending on the price I will be getting a 5870.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Still can't find any in stock part from OCuk but they are terrible.

6. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    OCUK is overpriced...

7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Ooh, sickness. Eat it, nVidia.:banana:

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Still under RRP ;)

Superb review and it seems that was a good performance from the red team.

Just hope there's enough suply :p

9. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Hmm...well looks like it beats a GTX 285 by ~20% at medium resolutions then narrows to ~15% at high resolution. I don't see that as a very high target for nvidia to exceed. The issue will be can they do it for a similar cost. ATI has made a very nice advancement over their previous gen cards. That is impressive. Lets see what the boys in green have to offer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009

11. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I don't know whether I should be disappointed or not with the card. I was expecting more performance but we all know we have the 5890 to go yet and the 5870x2 but reading the other reviews that have been released I was hoping for more performance. Either those earlier benchmarks were prejudiced, drivers need updating (that would be odd) or they were just skewed to make this card look better than it is to promote and push sales.

I can't wait for this card to come down in price, I'd love to buy one and hand my 4870 down to my daughter.

12. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    At the end of the review, it reads: "We ask you - what's not to like here?"

1) Overpriced for now.

2) Boring bandwidth for that price (still 256 bits bus). If they doubled everything, should have doubled bandwidth too. That limitation in bandwidth is responsible for some disappointing scores vs GeForce 285. I expected 230 GB/sec, really.

3) In COD 5 its performance is just ridiculous.

4) It should have crushed GeForce 295 in the vast majority of games, but it didn't.

5) Still 1 GB memory?

Of course, the review was great again, Hilbert. Thank to this excellent review I could notice those drawbacks. Of course, with the upcoming Windows 7 and DirectX11, many features will be available for the 5870 owners. Anyway, when it comes to performance I expected something more powerful from ATI's part.

I will keep my 4870 for the time being. It is more than enough for current gaming. 400 dollars is too much seeing the performance increase.

Now Nvidia will counterattack with a better card outperforming 5870 just like they did before with the 4870 and the same story again. Boring!

Sometimes I think that AMD and NVidia have an agreement in the form: first me, next you.

If you think I am very demanding, it is because I'd really wish to see AMD crushing NVidia once and for all with a performance beast. But NO, the 256 bits bus again!

Yes, it is a very good card, but not the absolute winner over Nvidia I expected.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  13. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    overpriced? it has barely launched. thats an absurd complaint. and the bandwidth? really? boring? its DDR5@1200mhz! 150gbps!! my 8800gtx gets ~100. yeah you're right, snoozefest for sure.. also, "doubled" bandwidth on a 256bit bus is probably impossible any time soon even with DDR5 and it would be subject to extreme diminishing performance returns.. when its NEEDED, they'll change the bus back to a 512bit interface again.

14. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I also don't know what to think after reading the review. On the one hand, the performance is not as high as everyone thought it would be. On the other hand, the preliminary benches were most likely selected according to how well they favored the HD5870 over everything else, so from what we all know is an unbiased review, its performance seems very good. And, as Hilbert mentioned, performance will only improve with each new driver revision. However, with that said, I can't see how the performance increase over my HD4870 as seen here justifies spending 400 dollars; that's just too expensive for power that I won't need so soon anyway.

I think I will happily skip this generation altogether and wait for the HD6870, unless the HD5870X2 turns out to be incredible. Or, if nVidia come up with a significantly better product (which I doubt), then perhaps I'll go over to the green side.

15. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    Performance is more influenced by memory bandwidth. When I saw the memory bandwidth on that table, I already knew that it would be a good performer but not a definitive one (i.e. one to beat Nvidia once and for all till the next generation). Seeing the results, Nvidia won't need much power to catch up with the 5870 performance. The same story as before.

Yes, I knew that about the 256 bits bus tied to GDDR 5 memory, but in my dreams I expected something different. OK, maybe I became an ATI fanboy since I bought my 4870 (my first Radeon).

So, now Nvidia will retake the crown soon with their GT300 series. The same boring story.

16. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Suppose there'll be a 5890?

17. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    As always, there will be a refresh. But with the high demand for these cards, I doubt it will come anytime soon.

18. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    Yes, a 5890 in the future. But previously a GeForce 385 with the crown of world's best performer. And that 5890 "almost" catching up with it, as always. This is what is boring! AMD should take the crown and keep it for an entire generation at least.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I was completely shocked over the Anno 1404 performance when I first read these benches... just amazing! Pretty much the only game I play these days.

I don't need a new card now so I will atleast be waiting for the X2, and perhaps even NVIDIA's response. I just don't see any games in the forseeable future that will demand more than my current X2 can handle.

Anyways, ATI has done it again. Good job, ATI!

20. kid-goku

kid-goku Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 980 Ti
    there could be, one can hope :)

great review hilbert (as always :thumbup:) and that's one hell of a card....i was expecting it to outperform a gtx 295 in all benchies but still the performance is staggering

personally i'll be waiting for the 5890 or whtever comes out as a refresh for the 5870.....by then the nvidia cards will be available too, i might even go nvidia if they have better cards to offer

oh well, let's see what the future holds