HyperX Cloud II or Arctis 5

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Oni, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    I've spent a very good amount of time reading reviews and viewing youtube videos of these headphones. And I know it's a mostly subjective matter. But still wanna know which one should be "better" and why. I'll use them for gaming, movies and music. Let me summarize my thoughts so far.
    The main pro of the Arctis 5 are:
    1.Its non-gamer, non-aggressive yet stylish look
    2. Overall very positive reviews throughout the net despite being a new product
    3. Steelseries using the same high-end drivers in all their headphones in the Arctis series. And the high-end drivers which are used in the Siberia 840 and similar products are really good in that price range as far as I've read.
    3. dts 7.1 surround sound (I know virtual surround sound is considered inferior to real surround but still it's something I wanna experience, mainly because I never used any surround sound headphone and I wanna experience on my own. So please don't tell me it doesn't matter)
    4. Most importantly the conception I got after reading the reviews is it boasts a more "natural" sound without any boost to the bass, mid or treble (unlike most of the gaming headphones which are bass heavy and using distortion to sell as "bassy gaming sound")
    source: https://medium.com/@Xander51/steels...dphone-and-headset-on-the-market-e4b311d9b452
    5. I've no inclination for bass-heavy sound. Also Steelseries Arctis 5 can be customized with their own software which as far as I've read has a broad range of options. So if I need a bit of extra bass I can always enhance it.

The main pro of the Cloud II are:
    1. I can't go wrong with it. I know The original Cloud were very good. And so is it. It's an old proven headset.
    2. Again very good reviews on the net.
    3. Cloud II are a rebranded Qpad QH-90 with a few tweaks which again were very good.

My problems with choosing the Cloud II:
    1. It's relatively bulkier and gamer look
    2. It's being relatively bass heavy and Arctis reportedly having a more neutral sound.
    source: https://medium.com/@Xander51/the-headphone-showdown-steelseries-arctis-vs-everything-eef7f6cfb286
    3. Cloud II scoring rather poorly in audio quality in this test: http://www.pcgamer.com/we-tested-23-mainstream-gaming-headsets-to-find-the-best/2/
    Steelseries Siberia 350 did better in the same test in terms of audio quality (on page 5 of the same article). And Arctis 5 should have a superior driver than Siberia 350 if its true that they are using the same high-end drivers in the Arctis series which were previously used only in their high-end models.

The real problem is that I've not found so far any review/video that compares the two headphones directly apart from the medium.com link I gave. All other comparison are reader-made and done in response to posts similar to mine.

Also I've read about the Razer Kraken Pro V2 and other headsets. But I don't like their bulky gamer looks. And I know Sennheiser Game Zero/One are supposedly the best headsets for pc gaming in 150/160$ price range, but I won't go over around 100$ . You can tell me if you have other suggestions.
    Also please don't tell me to buy a separate headphone and microphone. I know that is a very good option, but not a viable solution right now for me.

So share your thoughts on these two headphones and any suggestion you have as to what should I buy or if you have suggestions on any other headphones in this price range. Thank you.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Do you must have USB connection? If no, I think there better choices than gaming brand toys.

3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Buy good sound card 1st(like creatives z, zx at least).
    Then jacked hp.

Have clouds, they arent so good for me, I found better playing in games(movies, mp3 too) koss ur-40...

4. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    The Sennheiser HD 558 is 80$ right now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennhei...-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513
    Will it be better in terms of sound quality than the Arctis or Cloud II? Also what about soundstage?

Also what's different in hd 558 than a GAME ONE in terms of sound quality and sound stage? (considering HD 558 is not marketed as a gaming headphone)

P.S. I know HD 558 doesn't come with built in mic.

5. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i had a similar debate last year, and i went with sennheiser hd598, all the reviews i red was saying that because these headphone offer amazing soundstage, they would beat any 7.1 surround gaming headphone, i have to say that sound quality is amazing as well for movie and music, and if u play Bf1 or cs i always know where my opponents are coming from,

i would recommend them to anyone, now they re not cheap but if u can get them on special on amazon and they are pretty often ull get them for a good price probably around 100-150 $ us

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...=1494612997&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598

i would recommend the over the ear, gives u better soundstage so the surround feeling will feel better, u will hear the other sounds in your house and other people will hear the sound of your headphones

so if you re patient and you wait for a rebate u should get them under 100 $

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

Why? For about about an $100 here, you could pick up an pair of Philips SHP9500, and V-MODA BoomPro mic. This pairing would be much better then your suggestions. It is just a thought, if they are available in your country. GL

7. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    Thanks. Yeah I've spent an embarrassing amount of time the last 2 days in reading about the HD 558/598 and other related ones, specially seeing the 558 going for 80$ on best buy. And I've understood 558 sounds pretty similar to 598 in almost every aspects(more so with the foam mod as they say).
    So you think going for the 598 would be the best choice for around 120$ price range?? I'm asking finally in different forums before ordering finally because I don't think the deal will end pretty quickly. Thanks

8. Oni

Oni Guest

GPU:
    About to buy one
    Yeah right. I'm actually thinking about the Sennheiser HD 558. The Philips one got good review though overall. But I'm inclining more towards the Sennheiser one. And not gonna buy a mic now I think. I don't play online that much. And if needed I'll buy one later.