Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Meh, My Sapphire was a "Ghz" model already. Just flipped it to the 2nd BIOS and instant win. 1000/1450 and a more aggressive fan profile to go with it. BIOS flashing with these newer cards is just too risky when you can achieve these clocks just using CCC Overdrive.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Ristogod

Ristogod Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 2xCrossfire
    What would you like to see exactly? I'm new to these forums, some I'm unaware of the standard protocol.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    GPU-Z shots would be great. That will show bios version and clocks :D

Good effort btw.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    When UPLS is enabled, gpu-z cant read the second card bios .. so take care with that. the second card is slepping and dreaming of ancient japan dragoon.. GPU-Z is just copy the bios reading of the first card and show number corresponding of the first card .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

5. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    tested and worked fine... score incrise in 3dmark 11 from 2700 to 3050, not bad amd, keep the it up...

6. Ristogod

Ristogod Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 2xCrossfire
    I used atiman to disable ULPS and used GPU-Z's built in screenshot for each card.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Played a few games again tonight and they worked great the whole time.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm tempted to have a pop at this, off to work soon, so hopefully tomorrow. :p

8. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    my card got faster but at the same time much noisier( runing crysis 2 fan spins almost at 50%)... thinking to go back to normal 7970 bios because of noise...

9. ceelocsta

ceelocsta New Member

GPU:
    sapphire7970-GTS450ppu
    noise doesnt really bother me.. but my Original Sapphire 7970 non GHZ edition is a beast overclocker. it does 1250/1700 @ 1.20v with an ASIC of 78.9% funny thing is.. if i try to go any higher on the voltage even one step up.. the artifacting begin..

wondering if i should try the bios flash on my card.. i kinda want to since it has vbios enhancements etc.. and i did always think something was funny about the way my cards voltages were working.. others could do 1.24v no problem.. but if i went over 1.20v on mines even if i left it at stock clocks it would wig out..

and i do recall when i first got this card.. there was the debate about it vs the 680.. the 680 came out like 2 days after i got my card so the debates were hot at the time.. and i always told ppl these 7970's are no joke.. i always maintained my stance that the 680 couldnt **** with it.. and low and behold i was right.. i always figured a bios update or driver maturity would finally give our cards the edge..

my reasoning from the beginning was always how the 7970's really shined the more you threw at it.. like all the first benchmarks of the 680's kicking the radeons butt all over the place until it got up to the really high resolutions and AA settings ETC.. and that always led me to believe the 7970 actually had more power than the 680 from the getgo.. the benchmarks did nothing but show me the 7970's really didnt even start working until all the **** was cranked up to max then it would pull away from the 680. these cards are a blessing. i love mines so i dont wanna lose it.. :p the 680's did nothing but cheat with boost at lower res/ ingame settings.. of course if your boosting +200 or so mhz on some low res **** your gonna get good fps.. i saw thru all the bs..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    hmm mine doesnt work , i have duel sapphire cards refs too, it says invaild pc bios and if i try manual i cant see the bios file in the folder that it came with. should the bios file be like .bin or .rom?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Am I missing something here? What is the advantage to this over modifying your own BIOS (my biggest question), or just OC'ing using software to the same numbers?

12. Lock3h

Lock3h Guest

GPU:
    7970 trifire water-cooled
    I have the same problem here.

Can someone that has flashed their card correctly, upload the actual bios image please.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    No problems flashing my card yesterday. However, no chance to have a play with it today. Out for lunch and then back to work!!! ARGH!!!

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My thoughts exactly.

15. La_Croato

La_Croato Member

GPU:
    Club3D Radeon HD 7970
    Is there a tool to modify the stock BIOS on a 7970?
    The latest Version of Radeon BIOS Editor is unfortunately from March 2011.

16. VinnieM

VinnieM Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 1100/1600
    Anyone who tried this on a 7950? :nerd: I currently have a Sapphire 7950OC flashed with the Sapphire 7970OC BIOS (1000/1450) and it's working perfectly!
    But I always want to try something new as long as it won't blow up my card :wanker:

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I don't think anyone has tried it here yet my friend.

18. H.A.M.mer

H.A.M.mer Member

GPU:
    Asus Matrix HD7970
    May I ask whats the point of a risky and complicated bios-flash when you can easily reach those clock speeds with software overclocking? (CCC, GPUTweak, AfterBurner...)

My asus refernece 7970 runs fine @ 1125 core / 1575 mem since day one with overclocking only via CCC.
    Perhaps I am missing something cool about the boost-feature ;)

19. Lock3h

Lock3h Guest

GPU:
    7970 trifire water-cooled
    So is anyone going to upload the bios they are using for us folk that can't get the one in the Op to work?

Please..

20. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Theres one over on techpowerup

I tried it on my Gigabyte WindForce, flash went ok, but driver bsod when Windows boots...