Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I do have one, yes. Which "version" of bridging was the right one, I think there are two here? ;) The perfect occasion to try this out :D

120$ was a rough estimate, I didn't find the 637 SM on any normal site, just something in Chinese/Japanese (can't tell them apart), so I took the Prelude price (which was listed also) as a baseline for how much the opamps would cost.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Auzen will be oputting out the SM version very soon in the adapters.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Great to hear that, I guess I can wait that long. My phones aren't burned in fully anyhow, another opamp can do the "work part" then :D

4. DoctorO

DoctorO Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX Titan
    You have to bridge plugs 3 and 5. Plug alignment is like:
    1 8
    2 7
    3 6
    4 5

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

Did you guys get the Phasing issues figured out or is the audio still 180 degrees out of phase when you do this procedure?

6. DoctorO

DoctorO Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX Titan
    3-6 has the phasing issue (3 is non-inverting and 6 is inverting). 3-5 is the correct way to bridge (both non-inverting).

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just checking. Enjoy.

8. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    While I do some modding on my Prodigy HD2, I use my SB Live! 5.1 as my source, just to test :D

I use rear channel DAC with SRC resampler set at 48kHz with Kernel Streaming. Obviously the bass is very loose, and most of the detail is lost, vocal is pushed backward, imaging is a bit blurry. But overall it doesn't sound that bad, although there is nothing special about it either

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    A way to get decent sound out of a old SB Live is to use the KX drivers...

10. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    True, I've tried it (and I bet you remember you tell me :D)

I just use normal Creative driver for EAX, this is my gaming card

11. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

heads up: OPA637AP 8dip available @ digikey

note: browndog adapter needed

the OPA637AU they had in stock ~2 weeks ago didnt last long

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    NAJMI ADNAN, You know you can use VELBAC -the program we devloped to link the Live 5.1 and your Prodigy internally so you will have all the features of the Live! and the sound quality and output features of the Prodigy card right?
    That is why we developed the application so we could have gaming card that sounded better then what was available at the time. I was running a Audigy2 and a X-Meridian 7.1, linked with Velbac it was one of the best sounding gaming configs possible at the time. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea at that time I had a A2zs and a barracuda linked..

14. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh yes! Thank you ROBSCIX! I totally forgot about that software! But Live! doesn't support ASIO, and I need to use kX driver, which don't have EAX in the first place. I'll look for 2nd hand Audigy/X-Fi cards to use it

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Are you sure the Live doesn't support ASIO? -Also you don't need to use KX drivers. The app works with KX or Creative drivers. The X-fi would be better as you get full EAX 1,2,3,4,5 and openAL and you can still use the Prodigy.

16. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, Live doesn't support ASIO unless if I use kX driver. I have external PCM58DAC, I use that and connect to the digital out on this card as I see here. Now I can really get EAX while having great sound quality :)

EDIT: Looks like the orange digital out makes a horrible buzzing, I don't know why. Thankfully I found AUD_EXT pinout, I take the SPDIF#0 and connect it to DAC and bam! it sings beautifully. Well, its better than Prodigy HD2 I say :p It have sort of airy sound signature, unlike dark when I connect to Prodigy

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  17. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Wow. I just saw that the new opamps are available through the Auzen site. The prices are... well... "quite" something.
    250$ for two SM models including the adaptor :eek2:

I got a price for just the opamp before and I thought it wasn't that cheap. A so far "local" supplier of electronics charges ~60$ for one opamp. But this price is just... just above all :D

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes they are pricey to say the least. There is also a 1 year waiting period. These units are very hard to get and Auzentech orders the opamps and build them per order.
    They are the best you can get. Auzentech also re-released a new version of the X-Plosion 7.1. The new version is called the X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema and has a LM4562 opamp on the front channel and 5532's on the others. Should be quite a upgrade from the stock X-Plosion with low cost opamps.

19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    1 year? Wow. That's the second thing that could relate these to buying a Ferrari ;) Very pricy and very long time before you get your hands on it.
    I'm still searching for a place where they might be cheaper, if that doesn't lead to anything I guess it might be wiser to stick with the "b" version and put some money into the caps on the card.

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Thats alot, I wonder how good they sound. If they cost that much at auzentech.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008