PhysX for all! (AMD/Nvidia/Intel...)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jpcc, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks for that, now we can let this thread die :p

2. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    jpcc
    Nice :)
    Really, I'm not trying to offence you or your method, but its hardly plausible that it is really working.
    For all 6 years of my PhysX experience, I can remember only one working case with files swapping/deleting - Mafia II. But those was not with .dlls, but with APEX assets.

3. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    methods?, I just came to share the files I found, and which seem well maintained, and of course here ran into some games why not tell it?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz

Well take a physxCooking.dll for example, of course 2.8.4 won't add any extra effects, but it can eliminate some unwanted calls and speed things up where the old 2.8.1 had problems with. I saw this by Shattered Horizon, but yea nothing to get excited about..

Also i think you will have to put 2.84 and 3.1 folder in main physx folder and replace physxloader (common) with newer 2.8.4.6 (older is 2.8.3). This steep could be irrelevant though but it doesnt hurt.

And i think that's what OP wanted to share not that it adds some extra fx.. It can speed things up a little but you can't make miracles with crippled code. And physx3 doesnt work yet, at least in Shattered Horizon (Nxcooking.dll) and like you said in Mirrors Edge. I dont have any hw physx game installed atm except UT3 physx maps, but i didnt try it yet..

edit: btw 2.8.4.6 folder has build in Apex cloth tool.

5. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    jpcc
    Why promise "increase of 10fps to 20fps in all games" than ?
    Tests are not showing such performance gains.

Why not just say "hey, guys, here are some .dlls from PhysX plug-in, I haven't noticed anything, but you can try them out too"

S†v0r
    Speedup things ? To what extent ? In Shattered Horizon ? (what scene ? what level ? are you sure ?) I can install those to check it, but right now it seems same waste of time as it was with Mirror's Edge.

Cooking library is very sensitive to SDK version, btw.
    It is used to "cook" (convert to PhysX SDK specific data format) dynamic physical meshes on the fly.

As I said, .dlls are from 2.71 PhysX plug-in for 3ds Max.
    You can register here for free
    http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1949
    and download all PhysX stuff you need to play with.

Newest PhysX SDK 3.2, APEX SDK 1.1, etc

6. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    results of test:

Vanilla:
    Frames: 1140, Time (ms): 60435, Min: 4, Max: 64, Avg: 18.863

With 3.1.1 core:
    Frames: 1192, Time (ms): 60435, Min: 5, Max: 64, Avg: 19.724

System: Phenom II X4 - 3.2Ghz - HD5770 - 4 GB RAM

Question1: The game has fps limiter?

Question2: When I play the same stage the fps are more higher, somebody knows the reason?

Note: the most difference in FPS I have noticed is in the level "Flight - Checkpoint B" before, the FPS drops to almost 2fps reaching a maximum of up to 5fps during level, now when I step in the same place the fps is at least 10~12 and can easily reach 20~23 and the lag ends fast.

Again..., I came here to share the files, and say that I really had improved, without missing effects, I do not want to be king, I know very little, just thought that these files could be better used than as I did.

And sorry to hear confusion in my words, I do not speak English...

7. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    jpcc
    There is more interesting stuff than messing with .dlls, btw.
    Try to digg into Shattered Horizon, for example. It is one of the rare "lost-PhysX" titles - GPU support was in the works (particle effects, GPU rigid bodies for additional asteroids and rocks in space, etc) - but suddenly it was abandoned and never released.
    If someone could re-enable it somehow - that would be really nice :)

8. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    So it shouldn't start at all or have missing objects, even with 2.8.4.6?

well i also replaced APEX_Destructable.dll (1.1.0) with v1.1.0.1

Maybe that's why i saw a small difference, they game ran a little smoother, but still it was not it. Like i mentioned before its probably because its using older APEX_particles.dll and there ain't such a file in this sdk.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And yea physx3 didn't work exactly because of that mesh.. thing, while with 2.8.4.6 it started fine..
    --

Im already registered there, i think, unless they closed my account lol, thanks for mentioning it maybe there is APEX particles.dll in that 1.1 sdk:)

9. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    S†v0r
    So what you said is it shouldn't start at all or have missing objects and stuff even with 2.8.4.6?
    Nope, it did not said that) The trick is that game can load either local or PSS files, so you need to replace both.
    I'm installing Horizon myself, anyway. Gonna check it's current status.

Ha ! SH is not using APEX at all) I just deleted all APEX .dlls (except for apex_release, which is hardcoded into engine, I believe) - game runs fine without any errors, performance loss and I can't spot any missing effects.
    Echoes of GPU PhysX support..

Interesting, SH works fine with 2.8.4 cooking library (even if dublicate is deleted in PSS folder). Maybe it is more universal than I thought.
    Anyway, played several matches on Flipside with bots - can't notice any difference between 2.8.1/2.8.4 versions

APEX particles.dll in that 1.1 sdk
    Nope, only Clothing and Destruction modules are supported in APEX 1.1

10. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    Single fault that I got in some games was an error saying that my physx driver was outdated. games I tested changing the files: Mirrors Edge (perfect), Unreal 3 (perfect), Batman AA (perfect), Borderlands (perfect), Orcs Must Die (error), Mass Effect (perfect), I-Fluid (error) .

(Perfect) = The files worked without any problems, I'm not saying that there is no lag.

11. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    And while we have seen here, you think possible to maintain an updated file physx / apex / cuda for old games? as is the case with some extensions UDK oriented software files and audio, etc..

12. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    yeah i had a thought it was not working right, because when i changed to APEX_Destructable.dll x64 it still worked... ok we can scratch APEX out :D

You see that's what i meant, i saw there weren't as many fps drops by certain places compared to 2.8.1.. but then again i was at 290,.53 and now at 295.73Quadro driver, maybe that's why it runs a little smoother, idk :)

btw did you copy that cudart32_41_4.dll too?

13. Zogrim

Zogrim Active Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan
    S†v0r
    btw did you copy that cudart32_41_4.dll too?
    No. There is one already in /Common folder of 9.12.0213 PSS I have installed currently

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That is a default UT3 engine setting.
    There is no GPU accelerated PhysX added to the game thou, since the code only contains physx content that will be handled by the CPU in any circumstance.
    Nvidia CPL just shows that you got GPU PhysX enabled for the game, it doesn't do anything thou cause of what I wrote above.

15. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB

16. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
  17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    this looks like a whole lotta messing around for a placebo effect.

18. jpcc

jpcc Member

GPU:
    none
    [​IMG]