The Darkness 2 [Official thread]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheHunter, Sep 26, 2011.

1. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I use this myself and it worked as usual.
    http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=172

Preload the game, restart Steam or perform a update check (VPN is fairly slow so this keeps other downloads to the minimum.) and then connect via this and restart Steam or perform another update check (Will take some time but it should shift from pre-load complete to play in a few minutes.) and then decrypt the game.

Add steam_appid.txt in the same folder as the exe (VPN can be disconnected by now.) and run the exe file once, it'll say the game is unavailable but it will update the exe with Steam CEG and the next time you run the exe file the game will start and work as normal. :)

It's pretty easy but the AppID number in that text file is this - http://store.steampowered.com/app/67370/ - so 67370 in this case. :)

3. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Thanks Jonas, your a star:)

4. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Is eyefinity rocking in the final game or still not? :3eyes:

5. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Hi Jonas

I think the problem is I have a runssian version of the game gifted to me. Any way around this as vpn just wont work?

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I got the demo working again (i.e. I fixed the missing text) by deleting and redownloading it. Don't know why the Validate option didn't fix it. Anyway, I decided to re-order the game after all and my PC copy should arrive tomorrow from ShopTo.net (along with Grand Slam Tennis 2 [360] and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning). Looks like I'll have a busy three-day weekend ahead of me but The Darkness II can apparently be completed in around six hours from what I've read.

Still, not too keen on the cartoony visuals after playing the awesome original on my 360 as the visuals actually look less atmospheric and less gritty now. Still, graphics do not a good game maketh so I sure I'll enjoy it once I get used to the graphical style.

7. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Is there any chance to screw my Steam account this way? I don't want my games lost.

8. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    guys, do you know how to disable in game FXAA ? i found settings file but it's encrypted..

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've got the PC version of the Darkness and while it is enjoyable enough to play, I'm not so keen on the comic book art-style after playing the original on the 360. The game just doesn't seem as atmospheric, gritty and dark IMO. Runs well enough though at 60 fps but the lack of graphics options is a disappointment, though hardly surprising as like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, they betray its console origins.

Also, on my 24" 1920x1200 display the image is stretched from 16:9 to 16:10 resulting in circular HUD and display elements looking oval. I've taken screenshots with 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 and both show the same image albeit the latter is stretched. As such I've had to switch to the 16:9 1920x1080 just so the game looks "right".

Why is it that developers cannot implement 16:10 properly; all it is is a field of view change and the game is rendered in 3D anyway. Tut! Does anyone know how to run the game at 1920x1200 with a proper 16:10 aspect ratio?

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Here are two images taken from the game at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200:

1920x1080 (16:9)

[​IMG]

1920x1200 (16:10)

[​IMG]

You can see that the images are exactly the same, only one is stretched vertically. Looks at the labels on the large bin and the 'width' of Vinnie lying next to it. It's easier to see the stretching if you open both images in separate tabs and flick between them.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.widescreenfixer.org/

75 to 80 should help with the FoV, forcing aspect ratio via NVCP / ATI CCC supposedly also helps but the FoV is more important. :)

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The image in the Darkness II will be stretched if you're running a resolution different from your current desktop resolution.
    As in... if your desktop is a 16:10 1920x1200, run that resolution... the image won't be stretched.
    But, if your desktop is the above mentioned 16:10 one, and you run a 16:9 resolution... it'll stretch the image to fit the full size of your desktop.

It's very odd how it works in The Darkness II, but that seems to be the main cause of the stretched image that people are running into.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have the NVIDIA scaling set to fixed aspect ratio so if I run a game at 1920x1080 on my native 1920x1200 display then it is 16:9 with 60 pixel tall borders at the top and bottom of the screen. The game definitely looks more right running at 1920x1080 with borders than it does 'fullscreen' 1920x1200 with its stretched HUD and visuals (see my screenshots above).

Incidentally, MSI Afterburner's OSD shows this game is running under DX9E which I've never seen with any other DX9 game. What does the E stand for?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I have no idea what the E stands for. Never heard of it before.

15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    yep....Like Jonas says, hehe..
    Also tested WIdescreenFixer, and i have to say works like a charm...games looks way better..and u wont get a headache so fast, hehe..

Also, for the ones wanna use AA..
    It works very good...there are allready Bits there for the game...And i dont see FXAA anywhere..maybe cause i set it to 8x supersample? i also tried SGSSAA but it was to heavy in the end..so i settled for 16q msaa + 8trssaa....
    here are settings i use, and its very nice...

[​IMG]

Here u see the Difference when using the awesome Widescreenfixer...

NO Fixer (Standart FOV)

[​IMG]

With FOV Fixer:

[​IMG]
    ----------------------
    ----------------------
    And again, here u might see the diff better..

NO FOV Fixer:

[​IMG]

With FOV Fixer:

[​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    And here u see the AA in action..i gotta say very nice and smooth clean picture..not blured, nothing..

[​IMG]

Greetz

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    They are working on a patch/update for the game and will be adding in FOV options.

SOURCE

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @BetA - I saw the profile had an AA flag so I forced 4xMSAA before I started the game. However, I ended up with black Jackie cutscenes between levels and some weird lighting issues in Jackie's apartment where it would go bluish while walking around then switch back to normal. I disabled it and the issues went away. I'm using the 295.51 beta drivers.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That widescreenfixer program is causing a lot of crashes and instability problems for people.
    With Digital Extremes saying they are working on a update to add in more options, I'd avoid that program and wait for the official update.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been playing The Darkness II with the Widescreen Fixer (v3.0.307) and it has worked flawlessly for me for the last two hours I've been playing the game. I've been using an FOV setting of 65 which is a vast improved on the claustrophobic default setting of 45 IMO. The HUD and Save icon are still oval shaped though rather than circular.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'll just wait for the update from Digital Extremes.