6950 TIM replacement and heatsink removal

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Elk, Jan 8, 2011.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    that vrm (looks like one in the circle) needs a small heastsink on it if you're going aftermarket, these stock coolers are god awfull, cast HS without polish, disgusting work AMD. Mines plastered in little heatsinks and temps are great, 58C is the highest temp Ive seen on the card and that was at 1042/1475 insanity clocks lol, I suggest everyone here get an aftermarket cooler now and save the heat issues for someone else :)

2. homefry

homefry Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX470
    I'm thinking of going aftermarket, but can't justify the $80 price. I'm actually thinking of going watercooling and only hooking up the gpu to a single loop. My megahalems is doing a fine job with fan rpm at 600rpm (silent, but deadly).

The stock cooler is not bad actually. If you want temps around 75C, the blower is not too loud. And the fan is positioned right above the vrm sink. VRM temps are at most 55C. Also that back plate gives it a nice look and will help with pcb flex.

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    temps are usually
    1: Display IO
    2: Shader IO
    3: memory
    4: VRM

or an combination of the above

4. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    well, somehow I think that the imperfections of stock cooling are there on purpose to make the card die after like 3 years so you can buy another one:]

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the only way to really get a clear idea of before and after is to turn off the auto fan control and set the fan control to manual and set it to the same speed for before and after.

auto fan control will adjust fan speeds according to temps and is designed to maintain a certain temperature to minimise noise. if there is an improvement in heat transfer, you wont notice it by just looking at the temps as the fan will run at a lower speed to maintain similar temps. its easier to just set the fan at the same constant speed to determine improvements.