Possible for 6870 + 5870 Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Iced09, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Iced09

Iced09 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 570 (love it)
    Hey folks, longtime lurker here so I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

Would it be possible to crossfire a 6870 with a 5870? I ask this because the Christmas season nears and I was looking into acquiring one of these cards.
    Feed me with information if you can, for google gives me an empty plate. :bang:

Thanks in advance.

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    AFAIK same generation only.

[​IMG]

It's possible with Lucid Hydra though.

3. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    You can't crossfire different generations. You can crossfire a hd5830 and an HD5870. You can also wait for the 5870 to drop in price.

4. Iced09

Iced09 Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 570 (love it)
    Much appreciated you two, you have destroyed that blurred line I had about Crossfiring these two cards.

I will most likely lean into getting 2x 6870 for crossfire as it is basically the same with a few improvements, but I have a month to decide my actions so I shall wait and read on to make my verdict.

Thank you for the fast replies as well!

5. bl33dbe

bl33dbe Member

GPU:
    ENGTX 580 Asus
    Ok i would also wait on the 6970 card beqause as you know. Crossfire on AMD cards are not very well optimized. And you dont get the performance you really want. In some cases you do even get LESS performance with 2 cards then with 1.So basicly i would suggest to get ''1'' Strong GPU instead getting 2 5870 or 6870 in crossfire. Beqause you wont be completly happy with all de money you spend on 2 cards. I know it i have 2X5870 and i am not convinced. I spend 800 euros on these cards. This is equal than the most people spend on their pc. And its not what i expected. It scores well in 3dmark but thats not why we buy those cards. Its about ingame performance and many more. And thats why i am dissapointed. Hope some of AMD reads this aswell.

Greetz Bl33D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  6. oMVo

oMVo Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    not possible.

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, crossfire is fairly well optimised with the recent drivers. how long it will stay optimised is another question though...

and its only possible on motherboards using the lucid hydra chip. but then technically its not crossfire anymore, its hydra mode. the lucid hydra chip also has fairly poor driver support for most game releases so it would be worse overall.

8. Rotary8

Rotary8 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 680
    or just get a 5970

9. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Or wait for the 6990 ;)

10. Masta666

Masta666 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 & 5870
    your wrong you can crossfire them

YES YOU CAN if YOU Motherboard HAS Lucid Hydra.
    I have my 7870 OC and 5870 Eyefinity and one is a PCI-e 3.0 and other is 2.0. It can be done and I'm doing it right now as i talk to you. Crossfire you just need the right MB like ASUS crosshair Extreme IV. You can go to ASUS and read my User Guide if you want. aslong as you MBsupports Lucid Hydra and you can mix and match just cann't crossfire ATI and Nvida but you can run both cards same time just not crossfire go to ASUS and Look up my user guide CROSSHAIR IV EXTREME it can be done.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Please don't revive old threads. This particular thread is from 2010 and is factual correct.

You can not Crossfire cards from different generations. Using Lucid Hydra is very different from AMD/ATI's Crossfire. Though the end result is similar, and typically lower performing, the implementation is very different. At this time, LucidLogix has stopped development and support for Lucid Hydra. Lucid Virtu is their only remaining product offering and does not support the features previously implemented through Hydra.