Intel confirms Haswell chipset USB bug

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Not that this particular bug would bother me personally but I find it interesting that so few people use sleep mode on their desktops.

I don't turn my desktop off, ever.

The power draw in sleep mode is less than my watt-meter can reliably measure and it sleeps/wakes in a few seconds rather than having to go through the whole minute-long boot process.

I reboot something like once or twice a month, with the monthly Windows updates and if some other software requires it to update correctly.

2. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I wonder if all those initial 'broken' chips sent to retail will have the issue mentioned when ordering or even displayed online?

Looks like I'll be waiting for the new stepping regardless of the fact I use sleep but don't have any USB 3.0 devices permanently plugged in.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Unfortunately just about every controller is in use except for the one for external SATA. It's been a long time since I've really even looked through the BIOS, I'm unsure if they can even be disabled. Either way disabling that particular one won't save anything more than a second. I don't even remember how many controllers this thing has, but needless to say it's a lot.

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    sleep is pointless now with ssd a fresh shutdown or restart is better for the health/stability.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Sleeping mode doesn't have anything to do with SSD or other storages. It keeps feeding (refreshing) memory, so when you wake it up, everything you had on memory still there. Therefore no drastic access to storage on wake.

6. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    He is saying that with an SSD the boot time is greatly reduced so using sleep mode is less of a requirement...

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The advantage of sleep is that it keeps the session alive. If I shut down I need to re-open everything in the morning. When I sleep everything is there exactly the way I left it. I haven't actually shut my computer down in ages, aside from the necessary reasons.

8. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    This is why I'm never an early adopter. If you wanna be a guinea pig or rat-in-a-maze, have at it, but I don't need the latest greatest thing that badly.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Guess I won't be updating/upgrading this summer then...

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    wise words,mate.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's always best to wait a couple months after it's introduced to adopt. I rarely am the person to buy new tech out of the gate for this reason. There's always errata on chipsets and CPUs. There's also always new revisions to them.

deltatux

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    When was the last time Intel had errata on their CPUs? I don't recall. I remember the errata on the Phenoms well though.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Almost all CPUs have erratas in them, they're usually minor and developers can develop software workarounds for them. In AMD's case, the original K10 had an errata with the TLB causing stability issue in rare cases. The TLB bug was big enough that you can't just write a patch to sidestep it.

Many Intel datasheets have this in them:
    Sample datasheet: http://download.intel.com/embedded/processor/datasheet/324855.pdf

Normally errata are not disclosed publicly unless it's a major design flaw. It seems lately, most of Intel's major errata are chipset related.

Hell, if it wasn't for an errata in Intel's early CPUs back in the 1980s, Intel wouldn't be a household name like it is today lol.

EDIT: Seems like the last major CPU errata that Intel had was back in the Core 2 days: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1031406/intel-explains-core-cpu-errata

deltatux

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I see what you are saying me personally I don't put my PC to sleep if I did, this problem would actually effect me as I keep a USB 3.0 external 4GB HHD plugged in for video and music storage. But the only thing that I want to keep up after a shutdown is my browser tabs which i can set those in the browser settings to save upon closing.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just wait until the new revision to come out before you jump on to Haswell then lol.

Problem solved.

deltatux

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Intredasting, story please.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I use sleep all the time on my PC, I often have loads open, internet tabs, documents, apps etc, so just put it to sleep when not needed, normally reboot once a week or so, I'll hold out for a fixed revision.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I had one of the original Pentium chips with this bug, Intel replaced it with no hassle, even got a slightly better chip, 66Mhz instead of 60Mhz.

20. Kaninus

Kaninus Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Does this only occur when waking up from sleep mode, or does it also occur after hibernation?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013