Toshiba Regza 42'' problem

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by korben, Dec 24, 2010.

1. korben

korben Member Guru

GPU:
    ATIHD4890 1GB @850:975
    Howdy Guru's!

I have a Toshiba Regza 42'' LCD (Model # 42HL167). The problem started when the amber/orange LED would blink three times over and over after I tried to turn it on. It would do nothing but blink.

I found this link which suggested flashing the firmware.
    http://www.fixya.com/ThreadPage3.aspx?thid=2057192&type=click&mailid={#templateid}&rnd=0.538385922339925
    The firmware flashing is further down the page as the first "Best Solution." So I followed these instructions and now my tv works. However, when I plug in the digital tv (coaxial cable) or blue ray player (HDMI 1, 2, or 3 port); the picture is pretty fuzzy. It looks like the regular picture blended with a little bit of the "snow channel." But, when I use it through my PC (DVI to HDMI) to play games or whatever it is not fuzzy, but not HD quality (due to my graphics card; HD4890). Why would I be getting better quality through my pc than through my Blue Ray and digital cable? I think it must be the TV still.

The other suggestions on the same site where I found the firmware fix suggested I replace the SEINE card in the TV. That's about $200-$600 USD. Has anyone encountered this problem before and/or can think of something that I am not thinking of?

The TV is not under warranty anymore and I would like to fix this myself. Thanks for any help that yall can offer. I always appreciate this community.

Thanks again,
    Korben

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. korben

korben Member Guru

GPU:
    ATIHD4890 1GB @850:975
    Please disregard my previous post. I have found the solution. I did not edit though because for any people who do own a Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV; this amber blinking light is a very common problem. If you encounter this problem go to my link provided and follow the directions for flashing your TV's firmware. It has resolved this problem for numerous people and it costs nothing more than 15 minutes time. It beats the $200-$700 SIENE card that most repair techs will tell you have to be replaced. It doesn't.

Consider this resolved.

Thank you,
    Korben

3. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
    the link in your first post?

why was the picture fuzzy w/ Blu-ray/HDMI? did you fix that? Did you have to flash the firmware a 2nd time?