GeForce GTX 690 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 3, 2012.

1. Zboe

Zboe Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    If you don't like the price bitch to Nvidia because bitching here does you nothing. There are ways to contact them and if this upsets you so much then you would actually be trying to do something about it instead of crying on forums.

I don't get why people claim that a GTX690 isn't worth more (or only a marginal amount like some have said) than a 680...It has twice the performance why would they give that away exactly? I don't know and I have a feeling nobody else really does either.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think the price is good,you get 2x680s that run cooler,quiter and use less power and physical space,they are very slightly downclocked but its a good trade off,they overclock very well.

I bought one within 10 mins of them going live regarding nda,i read the guru3d review on overclocking and conclusion then i ordered right away within 10 mins,im very happy with my purchase and i cant wait to use it.

In a way i wish i had ordered 2 of them now.

They have gone up to £899 at scan.co.uk but i ordered mine for £840 when they went live,ive sent scan an email asking them can i buy another at £840 the same as the first one,if they drop the price for me to this ill buy another if not then ill just wait.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    It's $1200 + shipping here in the US at Newegg, not that it'll ever be in stock. So much for $999. How stupid. The prices of the 680s are going up as well. I have a feeling Nvidia is holding back on 600s to raise the prices.

Hell, for $1200 one could get 3x 7950s.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You realize Nvidia doesn't make that extra money over the MSRP right? EVGA is still selling them for $999 on their website, any price over is newegg's automated system kicking in and selling it for a higher price due to demand.

5. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I agree. It's...perfect! :nerd:

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    so...it can play crysis. :(

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What rez you using and are you doing 100-120hz.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im at 1440p yes i know its overkill,but ive skipped generations of gpu cause i didnt feel they were a significant upgrade for the price/performance over my 295's,however i really like the 690's so....

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, at least you've got head room.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    yeah even 1x690 is more than enough for a good few years tbh

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Vet you getting one of these puppies?
    You so x2 core man... good luck :)

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i was one of the first to buy in this country as soon as they went live,i was told it should be here on the 11th May if all goes well:)

13. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Well, now that AMD had lowered prices, I think I'm going to go with two 7950s. Selling my current card and old motherboard will pay for most of one of these, and the money I save from no longer needing expensive heating will pay for the other. Combined they're more powerful than a 680 anyway, and they have a good amount of video memory and bandwidth.

14. Screen_X

Screen_X Guest

GPU:
    GTX690 4GB
  15. Screen_X

Screen_X Guest

GPU:
    GTX690 4GB
    It's a rip off!

That is insane! I've been ringing pccasegear.com.au to see when they will have the 690 on sale and how much it'd cost. They recon they will have it online by the end of this week between AUD$1200-$1600 a piece. That's still 70% markup compared to the US$1000 price tag. Bloody rip off! :bang:

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hard out, especially when 2 gtx680s can be had for $1200-$1500NZ.

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    decided i'm going to exchange my 680 for a 690 and pay the difference (including a 50$ discount) since my friend works in the shop and he got one right now in stock, money is not really an issue.

the card is powerful and should futureproof quite well. :eyebrows:

i'll go get it tomorrow.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Couldnt resist hey,Congratulations mate!:)

19. Screen_X

Screen_X Guest

GPU:
    GTX690 4GB
    Indeed. I guess the power, noise and heat considerations of running two 680s are the deciding factors at this point. May be I'll wait till the ATI 7990 is launched and hope the 690 price will drop then. I read in a few sites that the 7990 will be launched late April/early June :)

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690

it was the only card available considering they're out of stock everywhere, my friend was kind enough to keep it for me lol but i had to make a decision and decided it was worth it, i returned my 680, grabbed the new card and paid the difference minus 50$, so instead of paying 499$ i paid 449$.

when i had my gtx480 i saved 1500$ for a new card, spent 499$ on the gtx680 (great card btw) which left me with 1000$, so spending an additional 450$ wasn't a big deal since the money was there anyway, 999$ for video card is a lot but in this case you really get what you paid for. :p

it's a fantastic card in every department, definitely worth the money.

Last edited: May 10, 2012