hi guys big problem!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by minijoker2o0, May 11, 2013.

1. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660 msi twin frozr oc
    hi guys big problem! gtx660 blowing psu

hi guys i have just built a new machine for my self it has a 8 core fx8150 processor with a t2 cool master heatsink all new 16 gb ddr ram on a asus m5a78l-m usb 3 mobo i recently bought a brand new gtx 660 graphics card the msi oc twin frozr 3 edition its only 2 days old and it blew up my psu it was some crappy one called ace or something and it was only 500w so i thought fair enough, bought a alpine 750 w psu and it blew up within 5 minutes of game play far cry 3 in ultra do you think its the graphics card been dodgy ???

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    I think the only thing dodgy are the psu's you buy. Why spend all that money on a pc and then get a cheap psu? If there is one thing you shouldn't go cheap on it's the psu.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Seconded

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Remember: Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and OCZ when shopping for a PSU anything else is asking for trouble.

5. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    oh ok

okay well my bro is runing an oc 4.2ghz i 5 with a gtx 570 power edition 4 gig ram drr 1366 on the same psu for over a year now no problems whats so ever. as soon as i run this card it blows sparks bangs the lot within 5 mins every thing has anti surge including the psu

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    that fx8150 is going to use a boatload of power too oc

7. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    yeah it goes from 3.6ghz to 4.00ghz automatically at 1.5 volts according to cpu temp

8. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    so if i buy 750 w corsair psu will it not blow or is there a chance the gpu is faulty and i should get it replaced ?

9. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply Unit PSU would this be okay ?

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah looking as some reviews that alpine was destined to have its life end in sparks and smoke.

Do you have a price range for us to go off of and where will you be buying from.

Just did some more looking that power supply was only really a 430W PSU

11. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    yeah i can go to anything from £60.00 to £90.00 and im thinking ebay or something so its not the graphics card then i thought it wouldnt be as its brand new but my bro wouldnt have it lol, and i made the number 1 error i forgot about the psu in the build altogether and i bought a 500 w as a oh s*** moment lol then a 750 when that blew.

* 430 w no wonder it blew im just hoping my board and chip are good and the graphics card im reading some really worrying horror stories here :(

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  13. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    thank you very much guys i shall get that ordered on monday and let you know if i have any problems and how it goes appreciate all your help and a lesson well learnt not one i will be learning again thats for sure :)

okay sod it ordered now should get it by Tuesday or Wednesday once again thank you very much guys

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's why this forum is here bro welcome.

15. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    You're lucky it didn't take out your mobo/cpu!!

First thing when building a new rig is make sure the PSU is from a well known reputable company and can handle your new build!!

16. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    oh really hope it hasnt i had no idea the importance of the psu the last build i ever did was a Pentium 2 with 512 ram lol so kind of new for me ive never owned a computer so powerful should of done more research suppose its the same as having a Lamborghini with a tiny engine lol

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's not just a lack of power it also has a lot to do with the quality of components used in the product and a brand that has a good reputation (I know that sound silly but there is a reason they have good reputations).

18. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    yeah makes sense to be honest im new to all this high end computer components ect all i knew is consoles suck big time and it was time to do something about it lol. im learning though i think i got the other stuff sorted want to upgrade my heat sink to a zalman 3 fan heatsink when i can as my heat sink is also a cheap make and im not taking any chances any more

19. minijoker2o0

minijoker2o0 Guest

GPU:
    not sure but the 500w that went pop didnt blow fuse in the pack so i decided to plug it in to see if it would atleast power comp so i could use it as standard with nothing special no gaming ect but stay intouch with fam ect the light goes green on motherboard and seems to have power hit the switch nothing is this the end of my mobo now did the 750w take out my motherboard ? or chip i have no idea and dont have another computer to check with

* im a dumb f*** lol of course the 500w is blowen may power green light but wont boot didnt last time till i got 750w alpine then it booted ! so hoping is the same when i get corsair pack

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  20. DAWG1

DAWG1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670 sli
    Maybe not. I had a psu fail but it still lit up the light on the mobo and it's own indicator. New psu fixed the problem. Replaced with Corsiar gold edition. No problems in the last month it has been installed.