[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Redstone 2 - Creators Update

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Thanks mate I will give it a try, you can end the process in task manager but you have to do it on every boot

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You could use autoruns to disable it, its in logon tab, I haven't tried it but should work.
    There also a setting in settings for notification, not sure that will remove exe (MSASCuiL.exe) or just stop the pop ups.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...nder-notification-area-icon-windows-10-a.html

Edit: Just checked my settings, I have that disabled tray icon in taskbar "select which icons appear in taskbar" .
    That doesn't remove icon fully for me in 1607 build, its just hidden within ^ section.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yeah it was showing as disabled in that menu, seems i'll just have to hide all the icons for now

thanks, this is build 15063.296

EDIT... just checked and im getting a cumulative update as i type

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    According to your first post, all that was interested in was for the defender icon to not appear in the system tray. There is a setting for that.

Task Bar Settings>Notification Area>choose which icons appear and which do not. All it does is move the icon to that insert symbol.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yes but it did not work it showed regardless of the setting.

Anyway just updated windows and guess what, no more icon

EDIT.. next reboot it came back on doh

6. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I'm on Creators Update again after having some issues with the latest Insider Build so I'm waiting out another. And I just have one question...anyone having a hell of a time getting the weather app live tile to work? It just will not activate for me no matter what. When I first installed the OS from ISO it was working, but as soon as I installed the first cumulative update its stopped and hasn't worked since. Tried various ideas I've seen around, like resetting, logging out of my ms account from the app then signing back in, changing my default location from automatic to manual then back, and no dice.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The tile works for me but I did have a strange glitch where folder icons in Start menu would be replaced by the weather tile image if live tile was on.

So clearly something is still off with it in CU.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Try reinstalling the app?

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When all else fails, just wait a few days. That's how I've been dealing with the stupid thing these past years. Sometimes it just stops working even if you reset the app/reinstall it.

10. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    :hits head: the one thing I forgot to try before I posted, uninstalling using powershell, and that's what fixed it. At least for now. With the reset feature I forgot about the command line method.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Just updated to CU and windows installed latest ASMedia USB3 driver 1.16.45.1, which makes those controllers useless as i just tried these last month and had to go with 1.16.41.3.
    But I rolled back to a newesh MS dated 4/27/2017 so will see how these go.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Quick question. I'm sitting pretty on Redstone 1 (AU) version 14393.1358 and I have everything set up how I like it. My games all work well and everything is stable. Any reason I should update to the Creators stuff? I don't use anything like Cortana, art apps, Game bar and that kind of fluff. Just gaming and browsing.

My brother updated to it with basically no issues, while my friend has had nothing but issues with it. I eventually want to play Forza 7 on PC, and I'm assuming it will require the Creators update at least. I'm thinking of doing a full Windows backup and just trying it out, but that requires moving ~350GB of games off of my SSD because Macrium Reflect can't pick and choose what contents on a drive to backup.

As you can clearly see I'm on the fence and I guess I'm just looking for some experiences from you fellow Gurus. :nerd:

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    IMO, no, I was under same thing, had WU set to defer but i gave in after 2 months.
    But there really no need if your not into MS apps and new stuff, if you just want a stable OS, I don't see any need.
    My update seemed so far to go ok, but its only few hrs and only tried 1 game out (BF1), so far so good.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Now that ReFS is properly supported I'd definitely use it on Windows software RAID0 array. Unfortunately Macrium Reflect doesn't support it yet. I guess that I could use the backup functionality instead of imaging for that though... Hmm...

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well, it makes sense to just stay where I am (ain't broke dont' fix it?) but I ended up using the trial of Acronis so that I could just exclude my C: drive games from a system backup. Made my image, updated to CU and now I'm just going through all of the new settings and what not. I did notice that I have WAY more processes running compared to the AU. I had ~40 processes after booting to desktop before, and now it sits at about 150 processes just after the upgrade to the most recent OS stuff.

As much as this is killing my "lean OS" OCD kind of thing, I'm just going to leave it as is and see how things go. Overall Windows does feel a bit more sluggish and less snappy so I'm not too excited about that. I'm off to try and load some games and do some other stuff to see if it all works or not. Now I've read stuff about games not launching sometimes on the CU, was that tied to the whole Game Bar thing or was is the "disable fullscreen optimizations" checkbox? Just curious in case I end up having to troubleshoot some things.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're seeing more processes because RS2 no longer clubs multiple services under svchost if you have more than 3.5GB of RAM, which is practically everyone these days.

I only missed night light when I moved back to RS1 to RS2 so I installed flux.

If you play UWP games, some may require newer builds of windows so you may have to update eventually. There's also game mode but it had no effect for me.

RS2 is fine except for them messing around with the win+x menu and removing the Display applet from CP. YMMV with their updates, my desktop had bad luck but other, older, machines didn't have any issues.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.30

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ahh. Upon closer inspection, as I'm messing around and figuring out what the CU changed, I see now that the "Details" tab of Task Manager is indeed filled with dozens of single svchost.exe entries. I've trimmed out what I can so far and gotten it down to 101 processes running at desktop. I can take about 9 more out if I really want to go barebones, but I'm going to run with where it's at for a week or so and see how things behave.

Awesome tool, awesome site, awesome dude. That Winaero tweaker will be an awesome thing to have in my "Guru toolset". Thanks.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well... I decided to give ReFS a try for my striped disks.
    [​IMG]

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the results are? Faster boot? Higher read/write? Do you have any previous scores to compare to?