Folding@home Vs Seti@home

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by lucky80, Feb 19, 2017.

1. lucky80

lucky80 Guest

GPU:
    5 X GTX 970
    Hello Folks

Is folding@home more profitable than seti@home ?

thanks

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If by profitable, you mean making actual money, then neither of them.

If you mean which cause profits the most by you donating your CPU cycles, then I would say folding@home.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Folding@home aids cancer research on Earth.
    SETI@Home aids in searching for any sign of aliens around us.

The first, if it reaps benefits, helps many cancer patients live longer, better lives.
    The second, if it finds anything ...

Pick your choice.

4. Anderstef

Anderstef Guest

GPU:
    GTX760
    Hey - what do you mean by saying "profitable"? It will bring you no profit like money. The only profit you will get is the satisfaction of helping humanity :)

SETI:
    SETI@home is a scientific experiment, based at UC Berkeley, that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI)

Folding:
    Help Stanford University scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, Parkinson's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

The problems we are trying to solve require so many calculations, we ask people to donate their unused computer power to crunch some of the numbers.

It's up to you if you want to help in finding aliens, or saving people lives.

Choose wisely :infinity:

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    SETI@Home has been unsuccessful at any level. It's been a complete waste of CPU cycles. Einstein@Home has been more successful and requires the use of the same BOINC software....

Folding@Home actually advances medical research and treatment.

If you want to contribute to a distributed computing system, but don't want to use Folding@Home, look into GPUGrid.net, Quake Catcher Network, ATLAS@Home or LHC@Home....all 4 make use of Berkeley's BOINC software and contribute more than SETI@Home ever has or will.

6. lucky80

lucky80 Guest

GPU:
    5 X GTX 970
    ahh maybe my question is not right.... cure coin vs grid coin ... did you guys joined their team and i want to know which one is more profitable.. thanks

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Has anything actually been achieved from folding at home? Other than a huge amount of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere of course.

8. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
  9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I don't think papers necessarily constitute what most people would consider achievements. Most people would consider something tangible like a new drug or treatment for a disease.

That's not to say that this research will not someday lead somewhere but at the moment, it must only be considered research.

Thanks for the offer but for me, the cost to the planet is not worth the potential benefit to the human race. There's not much point in being able to cure cancer if we're all under water!

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There is the HPV vaccine that came as a result of F@H...

11. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    Research papers are the building blocks of "something tangible". :)

12. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Personally, I fold on my system instead of using a heater in my room and it's fantastic... thus, I produce heat in a manner that helps humanity as opposed to just using a "low-tech" heater [​IMG]

13. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Haha, brilliant! I think there's a lot of money to be made somehow by running with that idea....

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I did that "back in the day" with an Athlon Thunderbird and SETI@Home....lol

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nice thread necro.... The post you quoted is almost 3 years old.
    That post had nothing to do with financial benefit from the referenced distributed computing projects.

Folding@Home is run by the Pande Laboratory at Stanford University. There are several institutions that assist Pande Labs in verifying the data, but all of the research information that Pande Labs obtains is published and freely available to the general public and medical research groups.