[Official] Windows 10 - Redstone 1 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Yea it would be nice if it would NOT create extra partitions if they already existed :stewpid: but its good to know extras are safe to delete:puke2:

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Yes you can safely delete them and do whatever you want. However, you may not be able to upgrade to the next major revision without doing a clean install.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've upgraded via WU just fine even after removing extra recovery partitions but it's good to be aware ... might help in troubleshooting in the future.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if you computer is UEFI, the disk needs to be set up as GPT partition type, not MBR. Also, you need to boot off the USB stick in UEFI mode (USB stick set up as GPT). You don't need to worry about using any other programs for this, if you USB stick is in GPT, you can just format it in FAT32, open the Windows ISO and copy the files across. It is then bootable :).

If you want to check, open an elevated command prompt and type:
    diskpart

When the prompt in diskpart shows, type:
    list disk

In UEFI mode, there will be a start under 'GPT'. All my drivers are set as GPT:
    [​IMG]

Notice disk 7, I plugged that in as that is the USB stick I have Windows install on.

The following are just examples I found on the web, but they serve the purpose.

If you see something like:
    [​IMG]
    (Windows 8.1 mind you, but I believe 10 is similar)

You are absolutely 100 percent booting in legacy mode. Your computer might be UEFI, but UEFI computers support legacy boot.

Then there's running msinfo32. To do this, just run:
    msinfo32

You will see a screen like the following (from my computer):
    [​IMG]

I highlighted the line to look at. However, I'm not sure whether that shows whether your computer is UEFI and booting in legacy mode or not.

Then there's using bcdedit. From an elevated command prompt, type:
    bcdedit /enum

You will see a similar screen to this (from mine):
    [​IMG]

I've highlighted the lines relating to UEFI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Russians were saying yesterday there's a 14393.7 that's rtm+day zero patch and now a 14393.0 has shown up in buildfeed. Let's see...

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The zero day patch is yet to be known, unless they said '.7' is just what it will be and label that when the time comes. The 14393 could be right, basically 14393 would be the final complete compile, apart from the versioning 14393 + zero day would be the equivalent of a build done at the time the zero day patch was made.

The final zero day patch probably won't be available until actual release. It's also possible that if we do get 14393, that we may have an update to test out before 02 August.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got my machine installed in UEFI GPT and I get the Windows boot animated logo

I believe it's secure boot that causes the machine to boot almost fully only showing the BIOS splash screen

MiniPC upstairs UEFI / GPT / Secure boot

Booted with the BIOS splash screen

Disabled Secure boot, now boots with the Windows logo, no other changes

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    The tablet is formatted as GPT and shows as UEFI. I've checked that before. Secure boot is disabled however. Sometimes the Windows logo shows briefly, sometimes it doesn't.
    As far as booting from USB goes, it's a little strange. I can go into the BIOS and set the boot order but it still will boot from the main drive and not USB. The boot order will also revert back to the main disk first. The only way I can boot from USB is to hit delete as soon as the RCA logo shows to enter the BIOS. Then I have to go to the last tab of the BIOS, go down to where it says "Boot Override", and choose the USB stick. Then the tablet will restart and boot from USB. This may be because of something RCA did with the BIOS or the OS itself. Is this normal behavior for a UEFI system?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You've lost me? lol

Everything says 2016 and RS1 that I can see

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Check out the actual information about the alleged ZDP. If you click on the twitter tweet:

[​IMG]
    Note the date highlighted at the bottom.

The highlighted date corresponds to the actual KB article for this alleged RS1 update:
    [​IMG]
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3074674
    (I usually have a theme enabled on Firefox, that is just what the base Firefox Developer x64 skin looks like, and possibly the base UI for future Firefox releases).

I think because of the month people got confused. The update is from this time last year.

There definitely will be a ZDP update, it will include any final changes between the RS1 release build and release date. Keep in mind that most files might receive a version jump, but only a select number of files are actually updated between each build. So in effect, the ZDP patch will bring the Windows in line with what it would have been if it were built from the same code, apart from the version numbers. Because of this, and because insiders have to download a couple of gigabytes each time there is a new build, Microsoft are apparently looking at having cumulative updates for insider previews (this may mean the occasional full release).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I switched from Legacy BIOS to UEFI on my Windows drive yesterday by converting from MBR to GPT using AOMEI Partition Assistant (as it allows you to switch without any data loss).

However, I now get the ASUS loading screen when booting into Windows not the Windows logo. I thought this was odd at first but I understand from reading around that this is normally what happens. I've checked and my SSD is definitely using GPT and bcdedit /enum shows the Windows drive is using UEFI now.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, that's for the old patch they linked, I posted the screenshot of the RS1 build numbers, and the tweet from WZor saying Insiders could possibly already be using RTM, dated 17th July 2016

Link I posted linked to old patch, and screenshot I posted :)

GPT is needed for Secure boot I think, possible you have enabled SB by doing that

My board doesn't have SB, so I only get the Windows logo

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Insiders are on 14390 currently. 14393 could be the final numbered build, but essentially the final build is 14393 (or whatever) plus the actual zero day patch.

Having a zero day patch already would make no sense, it would have just been included in a new build. Also the patches are cumulative, so even if one did exist it won't be the same as on release day. Insiders may see a cumulative patch test if we get RTM sometime this week.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I don't know which build will be RTM, my point was, what I posted was current, and relevant to the current RS1 build

The patch that was also on the same tweet, was old

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I noticed over the weekend that the Recovery Environment file, WinRE.wim, was missing from the C:\Windows\system32\Recovery folder resulting in an error when using the recovery drive option to create a bootable recovery on a USB memory stick. I managed to fix it by extracting the WinRE.wim file from the mounted install.esd file (first decrypted and converted to install.wim... why must all this be so complicated!) and copying it to that folder. I then opened an elevated command prompt and used reagentc.exe to set the recovery environment location and then enable it. Phew!

Has anyone else come across this issue? At first, I thought it might be due to this being a non-final build but maybe it was just a glitch during the upgrade? I certainly did not delete the file intentionally, though I did delete a hidden partition on my C drive of about 450 MB... could that have been the original recovery environment?

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Possibly so, Windows 10 creates a hidden system partition of about that size during installation.
    You may run into other issues too after deleting it, though I have no idea what that partition actually contains / does as the actual installation partition is the bootable one.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I only deleted it on Sunday so it has nothing to do with the ongoing issue I have with permissions error 0x80070005 when installing new apps and games or moving them to a non-Windows drive.

I have been able to boot in the Recovery Environment after doing when I wrote above and reagentc.exe /info shows that WinRE is still enabled. I've recreated the partition but will wait to see if the next Windows upgrade reinstates the Recovery Environment there.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's named the recovery partition as default (GPT)

[​IMG]