Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Finding two people to do the weekly strikes is not that hard, but still if you don’t do in the first couple of days it gets harder. I’m still to try the new raid because I just can’t find a group that has a slot or is doing it in the right time for me – so I’ll gladly join you if we organize ourselves here. Dailies are doable solo without a problem.
    On the subject of exotics – the ones from the bounties are not very good, may be with the exception of the Thorn (the hardest bounty by far) and the Super Good Advice (the easiest one by far). I got like 12 exotics already from bounties, nightfall and Xur, but I tend to use only 3-4 of them. Since you can’t equip more than one some good legendries are a must. I find the two snipers – Icebreaker and Patience And Time, and the Gjallahorn rocket launcher most useful.
    Also lets move to the proper thread if we are going to discuss more about Destiny.

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Not bad considering the lack of games for the first 6 months or so. In terms of the technology and the vastly superior DS4 controller, it is little surprise.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    That is cool that the PS4 sold 18.5 Million units world wide. It took the PS3 several years to reach that much and beyond. Maybe if it keeps this up the PS4 might be the new best selling console of all time.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^Doubt it. The PS2 sold 150 million by the end of its life cycle and with these consoles rumored to have shorter life span unlike the ps3 had, the finale numbers will be very low compared to the ps2 and probably the ps3 also. 2 years short of a decade was a damn long time to only sell 80 million ps3s, for comparison, the wii was sitting at 101 million in the same time frame.

Also, alot of families bought the ps3 because of it including a blu-ray player, the ps4 doesnt have that crutch this time and as its atm, it has barely any media playback features, more so when compared the the X1.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true. I forgot that the current gen consoles might have a shorter life span than the previous generation. It could be very possibly for it to surpass the PS1 and Wii though.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Both of those consoles sold more than the ps3. The first run of the Playstation console sold just over 100 million, the slim model sold just under 30 million.

But hey, this isnt a pissing match. Im just saying whats on the wiki pages and comparing time frames and the markets of then and now. I hope the ps4 and x1 do sell more than their predecessors, but only for the right reasons and not purely because they hung around and overstayed their welcome.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I agree. Hard to believe how well its selling with such a lack of software on it.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    If you look at what rubbish is on TV these days, it isn't too much of a surprise. People want to be entertained. Console gaming is the only place to be nowadays.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm really curious to see how well it does in the next 3 months with some exclusives and decent 3rd party software coming between January and March. If it's doing this well with very little, imagine after Dying Light, Evolve, The Order 1886, and Bloodbourne. Not to mention Playstation Now getting a proper subscription rate and more games.

I still think remote gaming gives them a HUGE advantage over Microsoft. With as bad as Microsoft is doing in mobile, from phones to tablets, you'd think they would have offered a remote play option to combat sony's. Especially with that huge cloud/server farm they keep bragging about.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Perhaps Microsoft don't see the revenue to be worth it, or the up keep costs might be too high for them to risk it. I know Microsoft is working on a rival to project Morpheus. So it may well be they have the R&D team at full stretch.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Having messed around with my cousins Occulus Rift sdk 2 kit, I have to say I'm really interested in seeing what they do in the VR space on consoles.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I would say don't bother yet, unless a console ships with a peripheral developers won't really use it.

Sony may well release that morpheus VR kit to be compatible with ps4, but as to whether games use it or not is another question.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I hope it gets support, but also works well. I've used nvidia's 3d vision and oculus blows it out of the water. There's no ghosting whatsoever, which was the main detractor for me while using nvidia's 3d.

I went in expecting it to suck and it really left me impressed. Unfortunately, even Oculus seems a year or two off from retail. Having messed with the sdk 2, it's 30% playing and 70% fixing/tweaking/re-working/adjusting/still erroring out. When it works it's great though. I guess my only complaint is even the newer v2 model still had a pretty low res screen, it reminded me of an old crt @ 1024x768.

It's this kind of tweaking crap that Oculus will always have that I'm hoping the console version can avoid with consoles typically being more simplistic for users. I just don't have the patience to mess with the stuff like I did when I was younger.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    In all honestly I can't see VR ever being a success. Why? Well for a few reasons. The first one being the limit time you can spend wearing one. What stress it puts on the eyes or other parts of the head for extending periods. The other big reason being the person wearing it looks like a complete fool using it to anyone else looking on. It is also incredibly anti social.

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It also needs to fix the whole eyesight problems thing, for oculus you'd pretty much need to wear contact lenses.

Not to mention it wouldn't work well with half deaf poeple compared to a normal speaker system

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Didn't really realise how worn out my DS4 was until I bought a second controller, buttons on the new one feel so much tighter and the sticks feel far more grippy. My old DS4 was a launch model so it could be that they've adjusted the design since then.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yes there have been 1 or 2 revisions already