Folding Signatures in forums for Team Guru3D

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 14, 2010.

1. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
  2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You can install the SMP Client which can give you a tremendous boost in your PPD. But; you have to be running F@H 24/7 on the system to get the huge Bonus Points. Before I can advice you, please read this:
    Use SMP2 Client if:
    1) You have a powerful system.
    2) Know their way around with F@H cores.
    3) System is on 24/7.
    4) Would like to contribute the most to F@H in terms of scientific value plus get the advantage of high points.
    5) Use a Windows password or non-Windows OS.

If you fit the bill for SMP2, then I can tell you to install it. (feel free to ask any questions) You can also get a good amount of PPD with your GT 240 if you use the GPU2 Client.

In order for us to give you more accurate details, please tell us what you use your system for and if you leave it on during the night and some other relevant details to help you :)

3. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    ATI folding can be a steep end as you have to configure some Environment Variables to get an efficient folding which requires patience and experimenting. With your Rig folding SMP2 and Nvidia GPU2, I won't advice ATI folding because:
    1) There are reported folding problems when mixing ATI and NV GPUs in one box. Some succeed while others fail.
    2) The PPD of SMP2 only is high enough that you can ignore the PPD of ATI folding. Many ATI users with powerful CPUs, choose to run only SMP2 Client as it has a better PPD and is less of a hassle to set-up. It also lowers the power consumption of the system.

Do note that I would advice you to go step-by-step as you have two different GPUs in one system:

Step 1 = Install the SMP2 Client and let it run for some time to ensure that your system is stable. For the SMP2 Client, you must be using a non-blank Windows password. If you are a single user, then you may want to automate the log-in process to avoid typing the password by following the instructions here: Windows 7 If you use the SMP2 Client, you should use the passkey so that you can take advantage of the Bonus Point system.

Step 2 = Install the Nvidia GPU2 Client and see if it works. If it doesn't you may want to tweak your system or it simply won't run. Depends on your luck.

EDIT - I hope this isn't too much information for you to digest. If so, I am sorry and will tell you in more details if you want.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Thanks for the heads up guys.

I dont leave my system on 24/7 due to the eco-warrior side of me, also concious of my elec bill ;)...though my PC is on for around 16hours a day.

I tried installing the GPU2 client, but it says my card is not supported (assume it doesnt see the GT240 as its used for Physx).

5. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I coud take 1 .. even im getting slow to fold....

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, you haven't really stated your PCs' usage so I am guessing it is moderate (word editing, internet browsing, multimedia viewing) so you have two options:

Option 1: You can install multiple instances of Classic Clients. If you do that, make sure that each Client has its own folder and a unique Machine ID. You don't have to worry about anything as it is a set-and-forget setup in 99% of cases :)

Option 2: You can install the SMP2 Client and use -smp 7 flag which will keep one thread free for your applications and won't slow down folding that much. However, as it runs for 16 hours/day, you will be loosing Bonus Points for not returning it quickly. Note that you have until Preferred Deadline to return the WU which is at least 3 days (IIRC) and with your system, you can easily make it if you ensure that it run for 16hours/day. You will still be getting more points then multiple Classic Clients.

Regardless of what option you choose, you will be making valuable contribution to science. Feel free to experiment and stick to the one that suits your needs that best.

For the GPU2 Client, you first have to get CUDA-Z and see which GPU is the NV one, if it is GPU 0 then you may want to use these flags:
    -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9
    if it is gpu 1 then you may want to use these flags:
    -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -verbosity 9
    Also what Drivers are you using for the NV one? The usage of flags can be done by this method.Hopefully it may work or it may not work. It depends on how lucky you are ;)

7. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Very many thanks PantherX...you are indeed a F@H legend!!

I had a couple of issues (missing Cuda dll's etc) but now happily folding on the 240 alongside my CPU so lets beat the crap outta these proteins and heal some people!!!

Many thanks again :D

8. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    No problem, glad that it worked out for you :) If you have missing Cuda dll's then install the Console Version. It has everything in folder and you just need to run the .exe file, it's that simple.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Mannerheim - added.

10. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Oh, I'd like a sig please.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Brazen -- all done

12. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Thanks.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hello, May i get a SIGN pls? Mr_Bigtime :)

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Can I also have a siggy please :)

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    They r out of Signs i think :...(

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thanx for ENABLING the signs :D

But why i cant make my SIGN as IMAGE? :(

EDIT: lol fixed :D..thanx;)

17. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    cheers from me too :)

18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  19. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    chanw4, you should be able to access and edit you signature from your CP.

20. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti
    hiya guys, great work on the folding! :)
    im reasonably new to f@h but ive got an overclocked GTX 470 and an overclocked AMD 955 both crunching for the Guru3D team :banana:

just wondering if would be possible to get the f@h stats sig enabled please mate, if i havnt done enough WU's or PPD to qualify then no worries buddy :)

thnx guys, and keep up the awesome work :banana:

blackthesoul