8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Athena79

Athena79 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 260
    i hate pagefile!! :( cant disable mine

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Why not?

3. Athena79

Athena79 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Wont let me...ive tried all the walkthrus just wont work :(

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    You're using Vista x64, right? How much RAM do you have? Your specs don't have that info filled in.

5. Athena79

Athena79 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 260
    8gb X64

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Hm. What exactly does happen when you try to disable it? Do you get any error messages?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have you got admin rights?

8. Athena79

Athena79 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Yeah...least i think i do

9. soldier1st

soldier1st Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4250
    when i disabled mine vista would act strange so to be safe i let the OS manage it and no problems.

10. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Untrue
    The page file can and does hold data that the system can use to "heal" certain sectors which were in mid write.
    Despite what many people think, windows does a very adequate job of optimizing memory use. The HD use is for the users protection.

The best option is to set a set sized page file.
    Set the upper and lower limit to the same size, such as 4gb ( people with 8gb ram rarely have a hard drive space problem ).
    The main "grinding" of the hard drive used in paging operations are the resizing of the page file, not the access.
    This will give you the greatest speed benefit, and windows will only access it as needed ABOVE the 8gb ram OR in case it needs to for redundancy reason.

PS: Im a software engineer for IBM storage division :)

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just to sidetrack for second, are you saying that if the high/low sizes are the same (which I also agree is the best method btw..) that the PF won't be accessed until that amount of system RAM has been used up?

12. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Not exactly (although my post implied just that ;) )
    It will use the HD when the maximum amount of ram the process needs is used.
    More often than not the process will not be able to use the whole 8 gb.
    This is not only due to 32 vs 64 bit applications, but due to mapping constraints in the software itself.
    The program itself might be programmed to use only a certain amount of memory due to its own limitations , whether as designed by the programmer or due to laziness of aforementioned programmer.

13. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Erm, I'm not sure.. Either you don't understand me or I don't understand you.

If you have disabled your pagefile, all the data is stored in your RAM, right? You sort of have the pagefile you usually have on your harddisk stored in RAM, right? So if your PC crashes all that data is instantly lost, cos the RAM is completely erased after power off or system reboot...

14. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD

good point :gape:

15. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Listen, at the time when I finished studying my OS courses in Uni, win2k was the bleeding edge OS, not readily accepted and considered too gaudy by many ( sounds familiar? ).

My suggestion , as a storage so called expert ( which I am not, I just work in the field ):
    Dont believe me.
    Dont believe self claiming experts or hearsay or even expert forums.
    Always go to the horses mouth and read and reread the whitepapers and tech docs and find out for yourself.
    a good place to start:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482
    http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/microsoft+windows+and+paging.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/understanding-windows-vista-paging-file-size/

Specifically make sure you use microsofts database. Even though they are an evil empire, they did write the OS. They usually know best :)

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i seriously doubt that. why are there so many hacks/ways/applications out there to make the os running way better then you could with "standard" windows ?

17. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    I did not mean to go by their suggestions.
    I meant read the way the system works.
    And construct your own methods.
    But the constant risk of any hacker or developer for that matter is assumptions.
    We assume so many things and base out actions on them we sometimes do more harm then good.
    the reading material I sent was meant to give more info as to how to better optimize performance, not to give you someone elses opinion of what is right.
    This is a gurus forum, you are supposed to figure out the best way to overcharge your OS and hardware.
    Just do it based on real information.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Is there a way to restore data from ur PAGEFILE?

and i never had a problem about LOST DATA...theories theories theories. i myself dont know how THINGS work in Vista 64 OLS. i mean game fişles loads to RAm and u play. then ur pc shutdown..what u expect? restore game files?

U work on a word file..u were writing on it then pc shutdown....what u expect? word default setup takes backup file and its mostly in , where u created ur file..not RAM..or not PF...PF is same as RAM but on HDD...and if ur WORD file desnt have a backup file(if u disable from options in word) there is no way to take it back after a shutdown. even if u have 1TB pagefile, u r not going to able to restore so MY opinion is: the thing u r talking about is nonsense. pls do not take offense...just my opinion which cant reflect reality.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah your right about that, there are lots of people here with the right knowledge and experience which saves all the reading up. thank god for that!

20. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    You are right. It doesnt reflect reality :)
    Vista has a new thing called self healing ntfs.
    Basically, NTFS, as compared to other file systems, has a very good chance to restore data in case of power loss. As opposed to ram.
    That is why most programs choose to write much of their data on the hard drive ( see posts further up ).
    So, when you lose power, yes many game files and data can be saved. It is done automatically by the system often, but more often than not by chkdsk.

Self healing ntfs does it in the background on vista and server 2008 , and without even unmounting the volume ( a wonder of technology really IMO ).
    Read more about it :
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771388.aspx

and the basics of NTFS ( which is why xp -> vista use ntfs and not fat32 which is marginally faster ) :
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/over.htm