7970 standard vs Ghz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by brutlern, Mar 21, 2013.

1. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Other than stock clock being at 1000 mhz, is there any other difference? If I OC a standard 7970 to 1000, will it get the same performance? (obviously mem clocks oc'd as well) If so, is there a reason to pay the premium for the Ghz Edition?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Only difference is the clock speed.

3. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Your basically buying a guaranteed clock speed, which is why I payed extra for 1100Mhz.

If I purchased a standard card the chances of me getting two which would clock to 1150+ would be so small no words can describe (in all my years of PC building I have never had one single ANYTHING that is not bare average at best, that's CPU's GPU's)

I would rather pay a bit more and be 100% I am able to get minimum 1100Mhz.

SUPPOSEDLY the Ghz editions are cherry picked however likely a load of ballz not to mention a lot is simply BIOS vcore.

OH HI PILL - hows the JL obsession today? when it wears off a bit I put 100 quid you regret that thread. LOL

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    As far as I know, the two cards are exactly the same except for a Tahiti XT2 chip on the GHz edition that runs at a rated 1000MHz. The chips *should* be different, though both cards seem to OC to similar levels, given all things equal.

I haven't seen GHz editions have the particularly higher OCs out there.

The memory chips, well they run at a stock 1500MHz instead of 1375MHz, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning those memory chips are different. If they are different, then they might OC to different levels (given there isn't much tolerance in VRAM compared to core), and if they are the same, then this is a green light that you can run your memory chips on the standard 7970 at 1500MHz, given that the memory controller hasn't undergone any changes (which it shouldn't have).

The GHz editions will not necessarily clock further than standard 7970s. If they have a lower ASIC and higher stock voltage, it would mean they overclock worse without additional voltage.

If they had a higher ASIC and lower stock voltage (better yields related to lower stock voltage?), then they would overclock better at stock voltage and worse with OV than low ASIC 7970s generally.

I got the 7970s because I knew what they OC to and I wasn't sure, before the release of the GHz Edition, how far they overclock. There was going to be quite a wait for availability too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Also the memory clock is up to 1500 from 1375. I have the ghz BIOS in my second BIOS bank so i can tell you the core clock speed stays at 1050 90% of the time.

6. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Ok, so there is nothing extra under the hood? just cherry picked factory oc'd cards?

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There is no difference. They're just pre factory-OCed (and come with a higher voltage - another bios). And also they may be cherry picked.

There's no point to pay for the extra, just get a normal 7970 one and OC it yourself. :)

I have a 7950 (1200/1700) and it pretty much almost performs the same as a maxed out OC 7970. The difference is always at best 400-600 points in 3dmark11. Anyone got anything to compare with? Any 7970 users with their max OC, how much have you gotten for a 3dmark11 graphics score?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I just said:
    The 7970 has a Tahiti XT chip.

9. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Ok, thanks guys, appreciate the quick enlightenment.

10. Predator

Predator Guest

Non ghz version here, Sapphire Dual-X (one of the cheapest 7970 you can find) and i'm running a solid 1100/1600 overclock across any game at stock voltages and keeping it under 50ºC (full load) with fan at auto

there's no point imo to spend the extra for a "guaranteed" 1000 mhz clocked card, they are supposed to be binned but that doesn't mean a regular one cannot achieve same or more clocks, i didn't hear about any single 7970 card that cannot hit 1ghz :)

save your $$ and just go for a "normal" one, choose one with a good cooling solution and you're set

i encourage you to grab a Dual-X from Sapphire

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013

11. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah they seem to be pretty solid.

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Seriously? :3eyes:

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't think so either.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Maybe he has a lot of case fans? :p Although I find that hard to believe under full load, would like to see temps after a few loops of Heaven or some such. Still, he's right in recommending Sapphire cards. They don't have a bad 7900 card out at the moment, you'll get decent results from whichever you choose.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Maybe he plays pacman or something with that load temp

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    In b4 he tells us how his computer has lots of copper keeping his temps down.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    haha, that guy was hilarious. real life hero/expert haha. 50C would be possible with a great case and lots of fun in some less demanding games. I only hit 57C max playing ME2, still, I have 6 case fans and a vapor-x with pretty mild overclock. under proper load it goes over 60C of course. so yeah, 50C definitely sounds too low. unless he has copper. of course :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Why make things up, though? I have the same card and it's great although I think the vapor x cooler is a few degrees better. I run a moderate overclock of 1125/1575 and usually cap games at 60fps but my temps get into the mid 60's. At full load it gets close to 70 degrees and I'm sure it will go up in the hotter months.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't think he knows what load means or he monitors it wrong.

20. Predator

Predator Guest

lol what's up with all this???

are you telling me i don't know what load means? i have hold several overclocking World Records in the past, super pi, 3DMark, Aquamark, etc, etc, i know how to monitor temps and i know how to keep my computer cooled down ;)