Intel Core i9-7900X review published

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The lads over at Hexus published the first review of an Intel Core-X series processor, the Core i9-7900X. Much like pretty much anyone in the EU they as well didn't a sample for review from Intel, y...

Intel Core i9-7900X review published

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    At first I was like "wow they really took a big performance leap compared to the 6950X" until I realized it has a 500MHz gain and the hefty wattage.

According to a review by Bit-Tech, it seems there's up-to a ~10% improvement clock-per-clock.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Hmm building a pc for a friend soon and I was waiting to see how the 6 core is on these new chips but I think I will build him a ryzen build still.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    So you're basically going to have to delid that £1000 CPU if you want any decent OCing headroom out of it without it cooking itself...

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Where are you seeing temps? i've let to find any review that talks about temps, just that they reach 4.6/4.7ghz on them... with fine tuning maybe you could hit 4.7ghz, but these were always going to run hot they always do.

Performance jump seems to be about 5-10% when you take into account the extra 500mhz on the core clock and depending on the program being used, which i guess was expected.

Look forward to seeing your view HH, as well as the upcoming review of threadripper to see how AMD's chips will hold up

EDIT: Nevermind found a page about temps, 100 Degrees on LCS with the 4.7ghz OC :/

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Intel's OC headroom has been crap on all the chips with the TIM rather than solder. Run very hot. Delidding is the only way to get decent temps out of 'em.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, just seen a guy push it to 5ghz delidding it getting from what i saw around 85-90 degrees on a corsair AIO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoies2JcmI

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Wow 4.7Ghz at 1.25v? I'm not sure I believe that.

9. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    From what I've experience deus ex manking dividednis basicially exclusivdly gpu taxing....I would love to see one of the dragon age games benched bencause they always scalednextremely well with core count.

All these synthetic benches mean nothing to me.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, the numbers are quite impressive, for both the cinebench (good) and the wattage / temps (bad). Seems they've gone all out maximizing performance, at the cost of power efficiency.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I agree that intel should really be using solder on all their chips and they should have something more high end for their IHS than nickel plated copper alloy. Their big chips used solder for the last few years and they were rated Conflict Mineral Free, so sourcing Conflict Free solder shouldnt be that hard.

Diamond metal matrix composite IHS have existed for years, and could be a differentiating selling point for their high end chips as well.

That would eliminate the need to delid and probably to liquid cool as well, give a big boot to overclocking and justify their margins.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Intel still believes this CPU is worth $999.

LOL.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well, right now they can charge whatever they want since AMD currently doesn't have a competing product, and because they know people are going to buy it. What will be laughable is if Intel keeps this price point after AMD releases their 16 core for an equal or lower price.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can't believe that anyone can't wait two weeks to get what looks to be a product which looks to be at least 1.5x perf/dollar.

This is not the old days where they were really alone, they aren't any more.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Being devil's advocate: There's a good chance TR won't overclock as high; the only attraction of i9 is how high you can push it. This is of course assuming anyone is willing to deal with the expense of a high-end cooling system and a higher electric bill.

But take a look around the internet and you'll find plenty of people drooling over i9, while not even aware TR is a thing. Look at forums discussing i9 or TR, and you'll find people strongly defending i9 or have low hopes for TR. Most people don't even have a realistic use for an i9, yet so many people still want one. It doesn't have to make sense - people will still buy it. That's what brand loyalty and envy accomplishes.

17. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I'll get one cos' I like to render vids and don't like to compromise on game performance :)

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm certain it won't OC as high.

On the other hand if anyone gets a $1000 ten-core to game, they need a brain transplant. So if you aren't only gaming, why not get the 16/32 CPU that will destroy this one at $849? What is the meaning of the existence of this CPU?

19. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I found the leaked price for the EPYC 24/48 1P CPU very interesting at about >$1,000

Sure stock it is only up to 3GHz I think it was, but that is a Whole lot of cores for the right task !!!

Hope it is also unlocked, would love to try this on my oversize custom loop and see what it is capable of :)

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The 7800x and 7820x are going to be the only CPU's with any simblance of value in this line.