How to improve your Movie experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Prophet, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes SVP is the Smooth Video Project.

2. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    Nice. Just tried it. I works like a charm.

I see some frame drops because my 3.5GHz is maxxed out with 1080p.

Great software. 2 min install. Does better than my 120Hz Samsung TV.

3. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    You may have your opinion, but you may not choose what thread I read and discuss. Anyway, movies are still pictured at 23.976 fps for a reason. And it's not a year 1910 thing, it's much more. It's meant to be that way because the movie makers want that effect on the movies, like music artists that still use tapes to record certain parts of their music. And if they wanted they could be filming even at 120fps. Peter Jackson and others may want to film at 48fps because either they want to use stereoscopic 3d (24fps per eye) or the movie itself will benefit from that. So, if SVP is an improvement, its a big debatable thing. I used frame interpolation to see the effect and HATED it. It's like the movie's been accelerated an then slowed to an unnatural speed. Movies have motion compensation techniques and motion blur, caused partially because of the way they're filmed and printed. It's what gives the greater sense of depth and speed on scenes. But if you don't like, you may have your movies looking like the games you play. High framerates work great on games, not so much on movies. Not for me, at least.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I had that effect until I tuned it. My comment that it doesnt look odd when correctly configured still stands.

6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Oh you are right maybe I posted in the wrong section, sorry about that. Maybe a mod could move it? I only usually hang out in the nvidia drivers section.

I would still post this had I known about yours. Mine contains links to everything.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Your last 2 sentences sum it up. Obviously people like and want to use it or the SVP would not exsist. And equally obviously, you are not one of those people.
    Simple as that.

8. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    After a new install I usually click in so that mouseclick (single) pauses and two clicks max/mins window. Also i check 'play from last time' so that if you closed it in the middle of a movie it continues from there on.

9. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

So much misinformation in this thread my brain has gone full retard.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You havent even tried it, yet you have a lot to say.
    If its not for you, you arent in the right thread, honestly, its not that hard to fathom.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey I cleared my inbox, so you can resend your pm....:)

12. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Ive used MPC HC for a long time, what advantages does Potplayer have over it?

Thanks

13. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Its easier and nicer to use. It also has quite a few features lacking in mpc. For example to replay movies from the same place where you were when you closed the player previously.

14. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Sorry but that feature is in mpc

15. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    You are right Potplayer sucks, dont try it.

16. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    sorry i didnt mean to offend

17. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with your health and are you getting better?

Also thanks for the information, i currently use media player classic for watching video files. For DVD i use BsPlayer Very old version. I believe that KM player is the best movie player ever, just not using it for the moment.

18. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Interpolated frames is not the same as native sampled frames in camera, and this is not just about interpolation artifacts.
    Higher frame-rates are better, of course. The cinematic feel is not about the frame-rate, but things like exposure time (shutter angle) and the fine art of colour grading and other post-process corrections. The omnipresent 24Hz cinematic standard was picked in the early 20-th century as a compromise between a wide selection of different rates - from 16 to over 40. The main goal back then was to find a single matching rate that would suit the then new audio-recording feature, and would be both economically feasible (film stock was always expensive) and provide some minimum level of smooth motion. In modern cinema, where the movie makers are trying to pack more and more action in the same time limit, the movie experience can only benefit from higher temporal resolution. We have been pushing for finer HD picture formats for years, then why not do the same with the FPS domain? Stereoscopy (3D) can especially gain positives from this, by reducing the headaches many viewers are still experiencing.

19. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Welcome too Guru lol :stewpid:

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Tried it for a bit and still prefer the interpolation my TV does, but good to have the option as there might be cases where this works more to my taste.

Not something i use for movies or certain TV shows as it just makes them look cheap STV stuff, and it also give my GF a headache so it's not something i could enable globally, but it does work well for 30fps TV shows and all sports.