Possible GTX 780 3 way SLi setup ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gripen90, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    So my plan has from the start been going 3-way SLi with GTX 780 :p. However the plan was going with 3 cards with the reference cooler, but now I've gotten an offer on a nearly unused MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr Gaming OC 3GB card for £404, and saying yes to this is very tempting.
    However it uses the the TwinFrozr cooler, and I'm wondering if the type of cooler will cope with a 3 way SLi setup ? and due to the nature of the cooler and the card as far I can see can only be bottom mounted in a 3 way SLi setup since there is a bar from the cooler that will interfere with a standard 3 way SLi bridge that isn't flexible.
    You can see what I mean on this picture.
    [​IMG]

I have the setup like this now, and with the MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr I would place that as bottom card and the two reference card in the upper PCI-E ports. Although do you think there will be enough "breathing" room for the TwinFrozr cooler to cool the GTX 780 ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just want to hear if any of you have tried 3 way SLi configuration like this and if it's problem free ?

2. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    has no one tried mixing coolers in SLI ?

3. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    I havent personally but my friend did, he had a custom cooler card on bottom, because it was cooling itself off dissipating the heat inside the case, in that way the heat went down, and then the big fan from up front would push the heat away in the back, creating a pressure.

I also think thats a good idea with custom cooled cards, because otherwise if you put it on top it would send the heat down on the other two, and the middle solution is a no go since it would heat both of them, and it wouldnt have enough of the breathing space.

Only solution really is the bottom, especially in the case of 3 SLI.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You should be able to "fish" the 3-way bridge under the brace then install it in your rig connecting all three cards no modifacation I would go for it as the bottom card. Can't beat that price.

5. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thank you both. I'm going to say yes to buy that card and install it in the bottom position...and then I'll watch the temperatures.

6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Getting the MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr Gaming OC 3GB card tomorrow or wednesday... then I'll see how it goes. If it gets too hot, then I just sell the card to find another reference cooled card.