Ati dual gpu question?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by utsikt, May 2, 2012.

1. utsikt

utsikt Guest

GPU:
    ati
    Hello, I picked up a laptop from samsung NP-305E5A-S01CA and I have a few questions about gpu's.

Cpu -amd A6-3420M which has the integrated ati hd 6520g
    Dedicated ati HD6470g
    6g ddr 3 ram

This set up should be able to handle older games just fine. I've never delt with ati before but I guess it has a thing called switchable graphics on the laptop. I have it all on high performance, crossfire enabled and turned down all the gpu options to performance but for some reason I can't even get 100fps in counter strike 1.6. vsync is off, I downloaded msi afterburner to see the load on the gpu but it only shows the 6470 and it has no load during the time I had a game playing. so I think it's not using the 6470 just using the integrated 6520g. Not sure what to do any help would be nice.

2. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    weird. never used an AMD GPU in a laptop so I couldn't really say. how many fps do you get in CS 1.6?
    leave texture filtering at high

3. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    fps_max "999"
    developer "1"

Put that in the config file.

4. utsikt

utsikt Guest

GPU:
    ati
    yeah already tried dev 1 to see if it was being restricted but it didnt change anything. im just not sure why its so crappy lol it shouldnt be. ive seen people on youtube run bf3 on low-med settings with the hd6470

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    A lot of laptops with switchable graphics have a separate program that handles the GPU switching. You often need to tell the pc which programs (game .exe files) to switch to the discrete gpu for. That may be part of Catalyst Control Center, but it may be another program. You might have to break out the laptop manual to see if it mentions how to set it up.

6. utsikt

utsikt Guest

GPU:
    ati
    The manual has nothing on switch able graphics. Only thing I have in catalyst is the option to choose high performance or power saving when exec programs. I choose high performance but no change.

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    try right clicking your desktop and see if there's an option to "configure switchable graphics" or something like that.

8. utsikt

utsikt Guest

GPU:
    ati
    Yup I have all my games on high performance which means it should be using the dedicated gpu over the integrated. I ran two benchmarks one with power saving and the other with high performance both yielded the same results. So I'm not sure what's going on here.

9. trapper_87

trapper_87 Guest

GPU:
    HIS IceQ 7970
    Have you run it with crossfire off?