Is intel burn test even worth running?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by LinkDrive, Apr 27, 2012.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Very possible. My first post was made before I went to bed around 2am.

I have. IBT doesn't crash the system at 4.5GHz. And yes, it's the latest IBT.

Gonna check around for a more recent LinX after a long session of Tera :p

2. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Your system is not stable at 4.8ghz, plain and simple thats not IBT at fault.
    Your temps are normal with IBT as they add around +10c over prime95.
    I would find your best overclock with IBT and leave it alone.

3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Wow, I really wish people would stop assuming that I'm asking if my system is stable or not. For the 4th time, that isn't the question.

Yes, I know that IBT causes instability in my system. I'm asking if it's realistic to rely on just IBT in lieu of 3 other stress tests that cause no issue. IE - should there be any concern in a normal gaming environment. I already have ill feelings about IBT as a valid stress test, and Veteran pretty much agrees that it's junk.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yes it is realistic as you tested it and it fails. my system passes everything up to 4.8ghz, ibt, linx, occt, p95. somethings wrong there and your teraflops are way low at 66. I am seeing 104tf at 4.7ghz. if you want to ignore the problem its up to you. dont care either way.

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Then stop talking.

6. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Its normal, when first i oc'd my cpu i tried 4.6ghz Prime95 9hrs = no problem, linx 20 pass = no problem, occt = 4hrs no problem, IBT 2 minutes = bsod.

Thats why my oc is now 4.4ghz because its stable ok.
    I would not ignore any stress test error just because all the other programs run fine.

I'm not saying just rely on IBT, if it gives an error you cant ignore it.
    There is another thread here somewhere with the exact opposite, IBT is fine and prime95 gives an error, they all stress your computer differently.
    If you choose to ignore it and your computer runs fine then great, but your asking for opinions and mine is that I would not ignore it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

The only difference between IBT and Linx is the GUI otherwise they use the same software algorithm, Intel linpack. I have included a link to the latest version in my last post. It simply needs to be extracted and placed into linx or IBT's installation folders.

For linx it's a simple matter of overwriting the old files in the main folder as they use the same name, linpack_xeon64 and linpack_xeon32. For IBT rename the same files to linpack64 and linpack32 and place in the corresponding x86/x64 folders.

On my system when running at 4.8Ghz I get max of ~110 Gigaflops, this is with HT enabled as disabling HT increases it to near 140 Gigaflops, this is also what a 2500k at 4.8GHz should be getting as currently you are not stressing the cpu as intended. Though looking at your temps I would be careful at they might get close to 90c and you might have to abort.

On my system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    public forum bud. if you dont want replies you dont like dont make public threads.

9. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    True but IBT still runs 4/5c hotter here !

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Thanks, giving it a shot now.

Edit: Yep, BSOD at 4.8GHz.

Here's an idea, how about being a respectable member and treat your fellow Gurus with some common decency rather than being a self maniacal prick. I'm asking for some input, not for smart ass remarks.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Try playing around with the voltages, especially the vccio. Otherwise it's probably just getting too hot.

Can't explain that, perhaps they are using different linpack library versions? try following the instructions in my last post and updating both to the latest library.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I treat people on here the same as they treat me. 99.9% of the people here are fine, the other .01% are d1cks. run the latest binaries in linx and see if that fails. 66tf is not pushing your cpu as it should

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Yeah, bumped it down to 4.7GHz and it appears to be stable. The GFLOP count is at around 120, like you said.

Good deal, thanks for pointing that out to me Zero

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    with the same binaries should run same temps

15. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Yes linx had outdated linpack as i dont use it much, just checked it and done a quick test, same temps now.

@---TK--- what cooler you using ? my temps rocket at anything over 4.4ghz.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    megahalems rev b with 2 scythe 1900rmp fans in a push pull. at my high volts its good for 4.8ht. 4.7ht 1.408v load. 4.8ht 1.440v load. pretty avg chip.
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html
    are your cpu volts on auto? if so find your lowest stable vcore. and lower your cpu pll to 1.71 volts and try lowering your vccio some from the 1.050v stock

17. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Ive got a TRUE with 1 fan @1600rmp, im running 1.3v for 4.4ghz, pretty good considering, I think i'll leave it.
    Are those 2x1900 fans loud ?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    not really, but I`d rather have a cool chip vs silence at my oc

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You're welcome.

That's what I thought.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    So Linx and IBT are the same.....so why is it on my cpu(yes i know its different to yours)that i can pass IBT with ridiculously low voltages compared to Prime Occt and Linx?So it must be the GUI thats giving me instability then?

If i use the same voltages on IBT(success) that i use on Occt,Linx and Prime i get a BSOD everytime,so in my opinion through experience,they are not the same because if they was the same then they would give the same results,i dont care what it says on paper,testing with my cpu they aint the same as the bios needs to be tweaked quite a bit to be stable in all.