ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-Band Wireless LAN Expansion Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Check out this new dual-band wireless LAN expansion card from ASUS, the PCE-AC68. Corresponding to the ‘Draft 11ac’ (the new standard for Wireless LAN IEEE802.11ac), the PCE-AC68 i...

ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-Band Wireless LAN Expansion Card

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I got one of these earlier this year. Works really well :). These were actually released at the end of last year, it appears though that it was only released in Japan on 25 April. Maybe the delay was due to regulatory reasons? I guess that's why the Japanese and Taiwanese 'parameters' were added in the driver from 19 March (and not have those parameters earlier).

If there is one criticism I have about the card is the included antenna cable is too short. You can get extension cables for SMA, but you need 3 of them! I guess it's a balance between a long enough cable to get optimal placement, and not too long to have loss through the cable length.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  3. chronicbint

chronicbint Member

GPU:
    ATI 6850 CrossfireX
    Also have one, though not yet an 802.11ac router, its much much faster than my previous "n" USB adapter. Very please with it.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    haha you know wifi is getting fast when it needs a heatsink that big.

5. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    i have owned a PCE-AC66 and RT-AC66U for a year or so and the only noticible difference in spec is the wireless N band is 450mbps theoretical instead of 600mbps.

i was a little sad to hear i didnt have a top of the line wireless NIC anymore, but after reading this i dont feel so bad xD

they are truly amazing pieces of kit, i was unfortunate with my router as it started malfunctioning within the first 3-6 months, but the second one has been solid ever since. I love my AC WiFi :)

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If your router doesn't offer the same speeds as your NIC, if you have multiple devices operating at the same time under wifi, and if your actual network usage doesn't saturate your bandwidth, then there is hardly a reason to care if you odn't have a top of the line NIC. That's kind of like buying a Ferrari and finding out there's a faster model out there when you haven't even come anywhere close to your current model's speed.

7. krash3x

krash3x Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan Black Edition
    I wish that I could get one of those Killer 1202n wifi cards. The low latency on those things is awesome.