What format is your main collection encoded in?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I figured this might make a good conversation. I find when newer people start getting into higher end audio components they start to realize their source files needs to be high quality also for the best overall experience.

Personally, I have a relatively large audio collection so organization becomes very important IMO. When I encode a new CD, I make sure the files are all named correctly, ID Tags are all done and I also include artwork from the original CD. I like the artwork because many of the players/skins I use will show or allow you to have access to this artwork during playback.

So what ya using and how do you keep it organized?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Mine is MP3 @ 320kbps mostly. Started with FLACS sometime ago, Most of my musics comes from online, differente sources (Itunes, amazon, google), depends on the wallet really.

FLAC is very hard to find online, and I dont usually buy the physical CD.

My collection is vaguely organized, I started (Slowly) to organize it, but its a long job considering that I have almost 20K files around.

What software do you use to encode?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    FLAC, some MP3s from an age past.
    Organised through folders for FLAC and MP3, completely separate folder for Classical with its own MP3 and FLAC sections.
    Foobar2000 tabs used to organise further.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    To the questions, it is easiest to organize the files as you are adding them. Doing it after you have a large collection is very time consuming. As for the encoding, there are different apps you can use EAC seems to most popular but such apps are for encoding from CD. You an use you can use different apps to re-encode from WAV or other formats to Flac. I have encoded tracks from line-input also, recording and encoding masters of live performances from friends.

5. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Most of it is audiophile quality vinyl (LP albums) ripped to 24/96 FLAC using a variety of decent turntable setups (Rega, Sota, Technics, VPI,...). Nearly all of these setups have been modded / upgraded in one way or another and combined with a variety of decent ADCs (Tascam US-144, E-MU 0404 or better).
    The albums are stored in separate folders with the artist, album title, year and usually some additional info such as the country in which the pressing was made, the record label and catalog number, bit depth and samplerate, all nicely specified in the folder names, which also include artwork scans most of the time. I have scripted the column contents of my foobar2000 playlist view a little according to my personal preference and basically that's it.

6. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    320k MP3 and flac where i can get my hands on it.

7. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    flac, mp3 192+, avi...

8. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    FLAC n WAV..anything less...is uncivilized. :)

9. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    FLAC and 320k mp3's. And I have a Spotify Premium subscription. I believe the format for Spotify hq streaming is 320k OGG.

10. Doomsoldier

Doomsoldier Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5970BE
    Got drunk one night and heard a crappy quality MP3, selected files by type and deleted the lot, only FLAC for me now. I have fairly good kit, a xonar stx (with ever changing opamps) and some KRK monitors. Perhaps my ears are better when drunk, nothing else is !!

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nothing like beer for making things happen lol.

12. Doomsoldier

Doomsoldier Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5970BE
    Well as I recall I was listening to some 80's love song compilation, gladly rid of that, and the ex Mrs. to be fair. Every cloud.....

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    MP3 @192k or better & tagged with IDv2.

My collection has nearly 30,000 files...there's no way I could store them all in lossless format it would take up too much room.

Actually I listen mostly to shoutcast these days via WinAmp.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Mine would be about 98% FLAC delivered to my DAC by the Logitech Squeezebox Touch. MP3 when there are no other options but that is rare these days. I'm buying more vinyl these days than I have for years though so for the last month or 2 I've been doing about 50% of my listening from analogue.

15. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    I have a mix of FLAC and mp3, a little bit of WAV too.

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Mine is entirely in ALAC, mainly because I'm too lazy to convert it all into FLAC, which had a better performance:compression ratio the last time I checked.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Archive rips from CDs are in TAK.
    TAK compresses better and just as fast as FLAC.
    Anything I want to store in my portable player is transcoded to MP3 using LAME (-V 0).

18. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    CDs and DVDs, both physical and clones in hard drive
    MP3 320
    Just starting my FLAC collection

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    most are VBR MP3. wish it were flac, but its too damn time consuming to do it again.

20. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    I guess as long as it sounds nice and its organized correctly, it should not matter.

Almost 20k in files, can have the time to mess with them.

What I do, is to choose a day in the week and deal with couple of albums/artist randomly!