Where is the AHCI, Northbridge Filter, 3GIO etc?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Miken420, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    AMD must have changed the installation behavior of the 3GIO driver since you last researched the subject. My board does not have integrated graphics and I am only running a single 6950. 3GIO is automatically installed with this setup; the one listed. At least for this board there is a noticable difference between file transfer times with and without the driver installed. I do agree that the driver is not necessary for the rig to function without error. But the driver does improve responsiveness. Boot time is better with it installed as well. This has been my experience.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Windows installs default video card drivers when you do an OS install, so there's actually no need to install any others.
    The 3 year old set from MS do just fine tbh . :thumbup:

Yeah...

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The Northbridge filter driver hasn't installed for me automatically for I think the entire 12.* series of beta and official catalyst packages

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Noted. It's really hard to find information on what exactly the purpose of this driver is. I messed with my AMD system for a bit running a 955 and a GA-990X and I couldn't get it to install. I might mess with it again tomorrow for the sake of knowing. And are you talking about 3GIO or AHCI? 3GIO shouldn't change file transfer speeds

Quit trying to be funny. Do a bit of research, the AMD AHCI driver for a long period of time was literally unusable. The last version I benchmarked against the Microsoft driver about two months ago was still slower by up to 5mb in some cases. Not a lot, but it certainly doesn't give me reason to recommend it. Your mileage may vary, but do a benchmark yourself with it installed and without it, you'll be surprised.

As for the 3GIO driver, find me an explanation from AMD themselves on what it does and what it's required for and you'll get a cookie, because I certainly can't. All I have is personal testing and posts from other people across the net who have messed around with it.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Also, I was in no way twisting words. You don't know as much as you think you do. It's pretty funny actually, the second someone challenges your omniscience, your ability to be civil about it goes out the window.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes, actually I do...and that's a hell of a lot more than you know.

You're what..18 or 19?
    I'm 38, so I have a few years on you...try and give me at least some credit.

Only when people like you talk crap then when confronted with it try and make it look like they were really saying something different from the beginning...which is what you did, hence why I acted like a dick.

I never said the 3GIO driver was needed as you implied - I just stated what the driver was used for.
    And obviously MS drivers can be used but the AHCI driver does need to be installed to enable AHCI....I didn't say only the AMD version could be used which is what you also implied..
    Yes, the MS driver is/was faster, but the AMD version is a whole lot newer (Jan 2012) and doesn't just affect trim...there are a heap of fixes included. Would you like me to post those as well? Because I can...

Seriously do think I pull all this out of my ass and just say things for the sake of it?.

Happy?

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The MS driver enables AHCI just fine...

Go ahead and post the fixes, it's outside of the original point of my point of my post. From the beginning my point has been that none of these drivers are necessary for smooth operation. And you haven't posted anything disproving that, have you? Also, the original point never changed, so I never twisted anything. Think what you want I suppose. The only thing I was wrong on is 3GIO being required for crossfire only, but oh well. Actually, I think I see the problem. Your whole point is centering around where I said "there are no chipset drivers for a single card AMD system". Insert the word "necessary" and all is fixed.

And really bro, you don't actually know nearly as much as you think you do. Play the age card all you want, it doesn't mean anything. Even if you are 100% right about this somehow, overall you would be less annoying if you would drop the know it all superior attitude.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Can we just get posts that contain blocks of actual information? This back and forth thing going on isn't making either of you look any cooler...

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Derp more? Is that the best you can do? Grow the f`ck up.

Where did I say the MS drivers did not enable AHCI? I just finished explaining to you why the AMD drivers were better.

Go ahead and post the fixes, it's outside of the original point of my point of my post. From the beginning my point has been that none of these drivers are necessary for smooth operation. And you haven't posted anything disproving that, have you? Also, the original point never changed, so I never twisted anything. Think what you want I suppose. The only thing I was wrong on is 3GIO being required for crossfire only, but oh well. [/QUOTE]

^Lol, really...is that what you're trying to prove? If so you're doing a lousy job...

You know what, I actually can't be assed having this argument, it's like arguing with a child which is pretty much what you are..

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm actually waiting on that from him, since he's the supposed expert on this stuff. Although I *am* glad he posted the information on what the 3GIO driver is for. Most of my research was spent with the AHCI driver since I had to deal with it when SSD's were new. So until he comes in and shows proof that the MS driver can't actually pass AHCI commands (which wouldn't make any sense at all), I'm going to continue to recommend the Microsoft driver for AHCI operation.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    "And obviously MS drivers can be used but the AHCI driver does need to be installed to enable AHCI"

Poorest wording of the century. Also, you're the child in all of this. :D

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Here. And stop being such a smart ass. I do know this stuff it's my job in case you forgot.

You want any more info - go source it yourself.

^This is an outdated version, the latest is from 3ths ago and I can't be bothered looking for the release notes.

Bye.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You do realize the fix list is for the AMD driver, right? As in, fixes to that driver itself. Not improvements upon the Microsoft driver. So I don't see how this proves that it's better.

Edit: Lol, I'm pretty sure at this point we're just arguing for the sake of arguing and picking at poor sentence construction, grasping for ammunition. And I admit I couldn't resist taking a cheap shot with the "you don't know that much" comments, so I'll apologize for that. I was misinformed on 3GIO, and you misinterpreted what I was trying to say about the AHCI drivers. Fair enough?

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yes of course, shall we move on then :)

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes. Any chance you know if the 3GIO is actually necessary (and I mean this in the sense that it improves performance/some sort of benefit like that) at this point in time? From what I read it simply corrects a potential condition where a PCI device connected to an AMD northbridge fails to comply with "industry standards" according to Windows. And Google of course has no idea whatsoever. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would cause any problems for the end user. Even if this condition were occurring, wouldn't device manager report it? It's also weird it's no longer automatically installed with the latest chipset driver package. The reason I thought it was completely superfluous was because it used to only install when I had integrated graphics. After moving to a new motherboard without it, it wasn't an option anymore. I assumed it had something to do with hybrid crossfire.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a lower level filter driver used to avoid MS WHQL Driver Test Manager failure on the NB (I have no idea how it does this).
    Lower level filter drivers work under the main driver and usually modify or alter hardware behavior in some way, (like the NB). The actual driver is named pci.sys and is intended for boards with IGP's, like you assumed...but can be installed on non- IGP.

It's definitely not required, however in saying that I had it installed on my old M4A87 but tbh I noticed no difference with or without it. I also have it installed on my current board...again no noticeable difference either way.

And that is pretty much all I know.....sorry I can't help more...

17. Muhammad77

Muhammad77 Guest

GPU:
    Phenom
    Hi ,
    could you kindly tell me where to get the latest NB filter and 3GIO , nothing over amd site and the one over my mother board site is 5 years old
    someone said that it's useful only if i have a built in vega and i don't have one yet whenever i use the motherboard chipset driver it pops up in components
    i have 790x ud4 gigabyte board
    i'll appreciate your help greatly since this is the last outdated driver i believe i have , had an issue with my 13.1 amd AHCI driver but then i edited the amd_sata.info and edited some registry key with 0xff thing and now it booted without BSOD
    Thank you so much for your knowledge and help

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    i can't believe the discussion above, even if i have intel i would never use MS AHCI...it's pathetic...do not use anything microsoft gives you, they don't know a thing..as long as AMD provides you, use it, stop thinking narrowly...cheers:)

19. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Thats why I love the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility. With AMD you have to look into the Catalyst package or download a separate install manager, but after you do it, it's all good.

20. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Guest

GPU:
    AMD/nVidia
    AHCI driver is better then MS driver (by far).

Except USB Filter driver, AMD IOMMU Device is only driver I do update.

ATI I/O Communications Processor....SMBus/PCI leave as it is (MS driver, year 2006).

Disable all other cr*p by MS under system devices except PCI bridge, host CPU bridge, ISA, PCI bus.

If you don't use remote etc. disable that also. Disable DMA, HPET etc. (except devices that can't be disabled, DON"T UNINSTALL THEM).

Enjoy constant latency, and smooth PC.