Official Intel Haswell (K) Overclocking thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by -Tj-, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I just went to Device Manager after it disappeared, but there is nothing to troubleshout. It says the device is working correctly.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ RoadKillNL - Have I made an error in ordering the Noctua NH-D14 cooler for my i7-4770K instead of the NH-U14S you have? It seems mine is an older model. What are the differences between the one I'm getting and the one you have?

*EDIT*
    Which way should the fan be mounted in my HAF 932 case, which has two roof fans and a side fan as well as the usual front intake and rear exhaust fans? Should I be blowing air up through the roof or out of the rear of my case?

*EDIT 2*
    Ah, I found this review: http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/noctua_nh_u14s_review,1.html

Seems I'll at least be OK if the fans both die on mine... :p

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Oooh, can you OC the Uncore like Nehalem?

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The design is the same, it's a tower cooler, but it has only 1 tower unlike the D14.

I watched Hilberts review of the U14S vs D14 and there wasn't a huge difference. This might also be because the U14S comes with the new 2013 Fans unlike the D14. So that's why i decided to get the U14S in the end.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for replying. Yeah, I'm just reading the Guru3D review now. I wish I'd done a bit more research on the cooler first before ordering as the U14S looks thinner and doesn't impede the area where the memory is as much as the D14 does. I have ordered low profile Corsair Vengeance memory anyway but if I need to change it, say, if I want faster RAM or more of it then I'd have to remove the cooler to do it.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The USB 3.0 issue i have is going in a different direction now.

The USB 3.0 stick no longer works in 3.0 Ports, while it works fine in USB 2.0

Using a USB 2.0 Stick in the USB 3.0 Ports works just fine.

Anyone...? >___>

EDIT:

It's working again after a reboot, but it's sure there is something wrong with USB 3.0 and Storage Devices.

Btw, transfering from the USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 does not disconnect it.

If this all related to the Haswell Bug itself i hope there will be free replacements like with the SATA bug.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can someone please explain the GPT/MBR thing that Thatguy91 mentioned earlier?

I've just tried Google-ing it and all I can find is that you need GPT for hard drives that are larger than 2.2 GB but I'm confused about how it relates to UEFI on these new Z87 motherboards. Do you have to use GPT in order to use UEFI? What happens if you use MBR; are you stuck with the old-style BIOS?

/is confused... obviously

*EDIT*
    Found this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

Quote: "As of 2010, most current operating systems support GPT. Some, including OS X and Microsoft Windows, only support booting from GPT partitions on systems with EFI firmware, but most modern Linux distributions (such as Debian) can boot from GPT partitions on systems with either legacy BIOS firmware interface or EFI."

So, basically, if I don't use GPT on my SSD then I won't be able to boot from it with the new motherboard. Is that right? UEFI motherboards do not work with MBR?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Windows 7 SP1 and above automatically use GPT on UEFI systems from what I know, you don't have to worry about it. UEFI will work with both GPT and MBR though.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    GPT is like the new FAT32, NTFS etc.

I use NTFS atm on my SSD aswell, it just boots :)

10. jayman

jayman Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AX7990 x 2 3GB

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I thought like so,

[​IMG]

One time my Logitech Keyboard G15v2 display reset for no reason (usb2.0 on Gigabyte x48 chipset), when i tried this trick it fixed it by both win7 & 8.

Or maybe its that GigaByte usb3.0 speedup tweak in Uefi (dynamic storage acceleration)? disable it just to see.. Or if its already disabled, enable it :D
    http://imageshack.us/f/27/21309147.jpg/

Found it here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286318-The-GIGABYTE-Z87X-OC-Review-with-4770K

@ Jayman
    Intel specifically mentioned when a pc wakes from sleep, imo something like this shouldn't be happening, I saw a review where he said 14 out of 22 usb3.0 devices fail'd (~60%) on a usb3.0 port when system waked from sleep..

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Gpt is the partition table ,fat32 is the file system you use on that type of partition table.
    Gpt is the new ,evolved dos (mbr) partition table type.
    On gpt you can use a ntfs,fat32,exFat partition.etc

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well then i been missinformed. Because they said it could only happen when coming out of Sleep Mode.

Doesn't happen with my Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 3.0 HDD. It's just that Corsair Flash Drive : /

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Might not belong here, but it may help Darren.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That's the only way i could orientate my CPU Cooler.

Anyways, i been underclocking and i'm at 1.050 volts atm and OCCT still passes. Temps are about 55C.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah once you have done it for over 20 years it becomes a massive chore even if you have all the best hardware and best tower/case, it makes no difference.

Good luck with your build though:)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Every little bit helps, thanks! And what an impressively tidy case that is too! :)

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Done with my Underclocking tests.

Lowest i could go was 1.025 Volts in the Bios. It will show 1.032 - 1.044 while running OCCT. I ran it for about 25 minutes.

So i think i will set it to 1.035 for now to stabalize it as 1.025 seems be on the edge seeing it goes between 1.032 - 1.044. Peak Temp on Core 1 was 65C. That's with my Fan profile set to max 1200 RPM as that still keeps the CPU Cooler silent. I think it's quite nice.

I have yet to test games as the GPU will also heat up then. But then again OCCT is worst case scenario for the CPU. In Games such things will never happen for long periods of times.

When i got my final memory next week i will have a go at OCing in small steps. I alreayd noticed Skyrim for example runs way smoother in the starting scene. And that's at stock speeds. So it's alrdy a big step forward from my 950 which ran at 3,8 GHz.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Took me half a day tho, but the results show ^^ Didn't show the back, but i can assure you it looks as tidy.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Have you tried Linx?
    Linx needs more v-core voltage than Occt to be fully stable.
    Occt needs more Qpi/Dram/Vtt voltage Than Linx to be fully stable

If you can pass these stability tests on same voltages then you should pass all other stability tests including IBT and prime 95.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is why I love ASUS motherboards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sXxGo10bFY

Just wow! That auto-overclocking software is just perfect for people like me who don't have the patience to spend weeks tweaking for stability on overclocks. Also, I was intrigued that they mentioned NOT to use Prime95 for stress-testing on Haswell.