Jitter in games driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iFRAC7UR3, Mar 23, 2012.

1. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    yup, didnt do anything.. could it be hardware or the bios update ?

2. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    I had the exact same issue with a 460 I had a while back, stuttered in almost any game possible except for a select few, so thought it was just me. Finally decided to RMA the card and blam, no more stuttering (well, not on a hardware level). Now I apologize as I have not read the full thread so I'm not sure if you have already done this but if at all possible do you have a buddy with a GPU that you could borrow just to see if the issue clears up? Shouldn't even matter if you only get one with lower power, that stutter is extremely easy to pick out. (as I'm sure you are aware)

It could be a bios/other-driver update, however it could really only be tied to an update that you did just before the stuttering began.

But since you said it happened after you switched drivers, and now won't go away with other sets that were previously fine, I'll wager something went bad on the card.

And don't mind DJ_Casper, there needs to be a black sheep in every community:bathit:

I seriously doubt those scores mean anything other than a reference number, and a poor one at that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. Dranzerk

Dranzerk Active Member

Update BIOS to motherboard, most newer P67 asus boards had problems with power to PCI slots and newest bios fixed it. Was released earlier this month.

It fixed my problems with drivers for SLI 580s driver crashing.

4. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    Problem is easy to solve seems nvidia setting are broken best advice is to use NVidia Inspector and reset profile then turn off all left options to lowest possible then test games to find out does jitter disappear at-least it helped me :)

Nvida Profile Export With Nvidia Inspector

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

5. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    But what setting would break that would cause a stutter issue? And why wouldn't that issue go away with a clean un-install/re-install?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    "Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Dont forget to > Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools\Clear all Windows experience Index Scores and re-rate the system after each time you change major drivers.

I seriously doubt those scores mean anything other than a reference number, and a poor one at that."

I like it when noobs speculate :)

1.) Evidence & hard facts: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/1273328-performance-tweaks.html

"... is also the one thing which has huge affect to drivers, if not completed & it will automatically degrade all hardware unless passed clean through"

2.) Empirical evidence. I actually tried it instead of guessing.

7. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    mostly i new drivers are FXAA and frame limiter witch cause fps jitter and low fps bugs :infinity:

8. teh_n00binator

teh_n00binator Guest

GPU:
    PNY 580 GTX 1.5GB
    Sorry but that "guide" is a load of crud, the majority of stuff listed to do on there are a waste of time and will never improve your performance as well as being more likely to help you inherit issues later on.

9. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I've got a GTX 680 and i can honestly say, adaptive v-sync is a crock o' $hit. Just switch it back to 'let the 3D application control v-sync.' Maybe it's coz the drivers are premature but i tested it in Crysis and the game stuttered a fair amount and still had tearing.

Steps i used to remedy the stutter and tearing:-

A) Switch OFF motion blur in game
    B) Turn ON proper V-sync in game

This solved the stuttering for me. I'm now playing Crysis 1 @ 1080p 8x AA with everything turned up to VERY HIGH. My frames never seem to drop below 45 now. I was amazed that one card on its own could do this :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  10. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Having in mind all the extensive software tweaks that you've tried to fix the issue, have you tried going back to basics? With that I mean hardware. Since this stuttering just started to happen without any software modifications, maybe you PC is for example overheating?

Post you temps (or screenshots) from programs like GPU-Z, HWMonitor etc. with hardware stressed by Linpack/OCCT (for CPU), MSI Kombustor/Furmark (for GPU) or with benchmark like 3D Mark Vantage/2011 or Ungine Heaven.

Overheating PC will slow itself down to prevent damage to hardware. Overheating RAM in graphic card will make more errors, so internal ECC function will kick in, degenerating performance.

You don't know how many times cleaning the PC with air compressor helped with performance issues that my friends and clients had. For me it is the simplest and fastest way to start and it never hurts to work on a clean computer.

11. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    hmm, i have been monitoring all my temps, always.. i never reach critical levels.. my temps arew good through all stresstesting using intelburntest,prime, heaven etc..i will try cleaning it though, and some of the other tips and post back.. however as i am a very busy man on business days, I will dive in on the weekend.. i very much appreciate every bit of info given to me.. and will answer as soon as i have the time to..

you guru`s are the best :)

12. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    Try Following Nvidia Settings Should Help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how looks mine in Nvidia Inspector
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had shutter and fps issues in games example Counter-Strike Source i had 25-30 fps after these small changes i have stable 60 >= 250fps :nerd:

13. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    Holy cripes.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No offense Faks, but I don't recommend anyone to follow your settings. Simply because his hardware is in a different league.

15. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    kinda true but this is my old build :) soon will rise my new one that one will be true Future Proof :)

16. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    okey, i have formatted, reinstalled.. updated bios.. only installed google chrome and bf3 and a 285.xx driver that i KNOW worked well before.. and same thing..

i can with this conclude that it is a hardware problem right ? tested ram, and HDD.. nothing there.. so CPU or GPU right ?

haha my gpu is like 1000$ in my country.. LOL

17. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    You should be able to RMA it, just pay for shipping, and then wammo, new card :) (in my experience they never "repair" your old one)

18. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    what if it has been slighltt clocked earlier? but i am sure that the OC did not damage the card

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I'm seeing quite a bit of jitter and microstutter on my GTX680 with the 301.10 driver. I'm hoping it is just the driver or the fact this is a brand new architecture.

I didn't have this issue with the GTX460SLI setup I had previously, so hoping its just a driver issue.

20. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    an OC shouldn't hurt your warranty. I even modded my bios (which is supposed to void the warranty) but they still accepted the RMA anyway.