Samsung releases 28-Inch 4K Monitor UD590

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ..... i'm sorry, but to say that they switched to 1920x1080 from 1920x1200 because it's "cheaper to bulk purchase" makes me even more skeptical of every comment you've made here.

To start with, saying that aspect ratio has nothing to do with resolution is kind of odd.... 1920x1200 = 16:10 (1.6:1).... 1920x1080 = 16:9 (1.78:1). Aspect ratio technically has EVERYTHING to do with the resolution.

With that being said, the main reason there aren't very many, if any, TRUE 4K TV's, is because ultra-wide TV's aren't really the biggest sellers. How many of those... what were they.... LG CinemaWide displays do you think they probably sold? Probably not too many, since the whole idea of those didn't seem to last long.

Anyway... back to my original point. HDTV's were expensive as hell when they first came out, and to get a 1080p TV was even more drastically expensive. Take for instance the 50" Samsung plasma TV my parents have in the living room. Was purchased quite a few years ago.... think it cost like $3,000-5,000.... only 720p. Now you can get like 80" LED-baclit LCD's for that much.

On top of that.... the reason it's ridiculous to say that PC monitors made the transition because it was cheaper to purchase in bulk is because, quite simply, there was absolutely NO market for a SMALL 1080p TV for quite some time. Even now, they're not all that sought after. Take, for example, every flatscreen TV on Bestbuy.com.....

75 TV's total that are 27" or smaller..... 33 of those are 1080p.
    86 TV's 28"-32" in size.... 23 of which are 1080p

The numbers only start to tip heavily in 1080p's favor once you get above 32".

30 TV's 33"-39".... 28 are 1080p.
    51 TV's 40"-45".... 45 are 1080p.
    63 TV's 46"-49".... all are 1080p.

So how exactly is it cheaper for manufacturers to buy sub-30" panels... even by today's standards for consumer demand.... if significantly less than half of the TV's in that segment are even using 1080p panels?

On top of this... monitor still probably won't be worth the money, because it will still probably be just like every other budget "4K" monitor. Supports the resolution, but only at 30hz.

Darkshadow: Yea... they reveal a 31" true 4K monitor... and still have no details on pricing or availability. Any bets that it probably never sees a store/e-tailer shelf?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    lenovo one this month should be 700$ too. Has a lot of features, quite different to this one.
    But this PiP looks interesting a bit. If it took 2x 1080p via DP and 2x 1080p via 2x HDMI then you could set up 4 screen eyefinity group and send in 120Hz via each cable if electronics and screen was capable to deliver.

Color question, just because it's TN does not mean it's that bad, color is not bad thing about TN. Bad thing is viewing angle which change color representation as you move around.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...28-inch-4k-billion-color-monitor-for-just-700

Its 3820×2160 @ 60Hz it seems ( DP needed anyway )... But well there's different question about the 10bits, outside PLS and IPS, not so much TN who support the 10bit. ( let alone, i think Nvidia gpu's still dont support it natively ).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The reduction in resolution (even by a small amount) resulted in a reduction at the manufacturing level by the panel manufacturers, not the monitor producers. Their production lines were configured more for 1080p than the larger 1200p because the demand for 1080p was higher than the demand for 1200p. We can start pointing fingers as to the why, but my money is on the broadcast standards people and entertainment content providers.

My comment is in reference to a comment that poster made - I still do not know what 4K has to do with 16:9 in reference to their reference

Genuine 4096 lines would not require the aspect ratio to be 2.35:1, and LG has announced a 105 Inch 4K tv - although I suspect that it's really for Hotels, exhibitions, departure lounges etc.

This is LCD tech, not Plasma, although I kinda get your point.

As mentioned, it's about the panel production lines and a lower cost of manufacture due to the reduction in pixels required to make the tech.

HDMI 2.0 is either available as a firmware upgrade or simply a new cable - then you got 60Hz.

btw to all: Dell call their monitor range Ultra HD Press Link

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Heh TN, it should be banned.

6. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    That's your argument? Because they didn't announce pricing it's an irrelevant actual 4K display:funny:.
    I remember back in 2011 (or was it 2012..)when LG announced their OLED tv's without any pricing or availability either, I guess those never made it to stores either right?

In fact, every single piece of hardware LG has ever brought to CES has made it into consumer hands one way or another.

7. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Knowing the power needed to run 1440p properly, 4k scares me. I'd want highend Maxwell in SLI (or AMD Crossfire equivalent) before I'd think about upgrading from my u2711. Nice to see the tech advancing though.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea.... and look how long it took for those to be available, too. I was actually at Best Buy the other week drooling over that 55" curved OLED TV LG has. Not so much over the $6,000 price tag, though.

That's the point i'm getting at. Generally if no pricing is announced, it means there isn't really any availability date in sight. And there's also a good chance that if no price is known, you wouldn't really WANT to know the price.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Guys, NOBODY cares if it's called 4K or UltraHD. Unless you're buying cinemas and getting confused.

10. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    FALSE, if "BlurBuster" (can you remember?) confirms my message! Samsung may be confused and crap. Because we remember we got STILL motion blur despite 0.01 ms response time (AMOLED - Samsung G3/4, PS Vita...)!

11. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    I don't know why you are going on about this, when it becomes available or what it's price is going to be is completely irrelvant, what matters is that it's an actual 4K screen and everything else isn't.

Judging by LG's track record, we'll prolly see it in a year or maybe 2, and judging by the size it will probably be around ~3k$; can you afford it? Maybe not, but others will. The point being that's its a 4K screen, everything else is UHD.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I like the term QuadHD, which is way more accurate - in fact it's so accurate it's true.

13. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Nice monitor but not for me i stick to 21:9 with 3440x1440 ips 75hz oc.