RealTek 8168/8111 PCIE NIC

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by JohnMidnight, Oct 16, 2009.

1. JohnMidnight

JohnMidnight Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 260 896
    Has anyone had any problems with this integrated NIC? I have it on my Gigabyte EP45-DS3L. The Stock Drivers on the Gigabyte CD work great for XP and Vista, and what came in on my Win 7 RTM work great. But if I update the drivers, either by using Windows Update in any of the OS's, or even going to RealTek's website, it effectively breaks the NIC.

What happens is after the update, everything fine, but then it starts acting like a wireless card with iffy 3rd party software. I lose connection, regain it, lose it again, etc. Rebooting the computer, and the router don't fix this for very long. And its also WIRED. And I know the wires good, made it, and tested it before using it, I even retested it again when the updates broke the card.

Now this does happen in all three OS's. Windows XP, Windows Vista, and with Windows 7. Rolling back always fixed the issue.

Anyone had this issue? Any ideas of why this happens?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    i have the exact same motherboard atm :)

Used the onboard nic for ages.. both on vista, xp and win7.. 3+ months on each..

Had no issues with it.. although now im using a killer nic :)

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Don't update the drivers then, why fix something that works?

4. JohnMidnight

JohnMidnight Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 260 896
    True :p but still acts broken. Finished updating the BIOS all the way up, and the NIC never manages to wake up all the way in Hibernation mode. Reboot is the only solution for that, which is why I attempted driver updates.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    GigaByte doesn't have a driver on their download page?
    Still weird that it doesn't work when you get a driver from RealTek, sure you get correct driver for exact your card?