how does a wireless antistatic wrist band work?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mp1434, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
  2. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Ummmmmmmmmmmm

I dont see how that would work.................................

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    The wikipedia just says:

"Wireless or Dissipative wrist straps are available, but their level of reliability is unknown."

I guess it could work, to an extent...there would have to be some kind of ground on the bracelet, I'm not great with how the stuff works, but I would expect some kind of metal piece that "stores" the charge would be required...but wouldn't that potentially discharge once it hit a certain point?

4. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Iremember, they are conected to plates that act like a ground (receptor or donator of eletrons, to make you neutral).
    If this is not connected, maybe he has the same capacity of make you neutral.
    There were some technicians here that needed to work with that, maybe it has some use.

5. yoitboy

yoitboy Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 260 SLI
    lmao...that's awesome. I'm definitely buying one of those! :3eyes:

6. korben

korben Member Guru

GPU:
    ATIHD4890 1GB @850:975
    I spent 5 years doing electronic equipment repair for the Army. That doesn't mean I know much, but it does mean that what little I do know is from lots and lots of experiences good and bad. And that "wireless ESD strap" is a load of crap! It would have to have capacitors in it to store the charge like mentioned above, and yes ( also mentioned above) the charge would have to be discharged at some point.
    Potentially discharged on one of your pc components or even worse, when you reach down to adjust "your boys" or to scratch a little itch.....:bolt: So for the sake of your pc or any future children you might be planning to have, don't buy that.

Korben

7. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    lol thanks for the advice and i have another very noobish question. How do you use a regular antistatic wrist band?

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    come on guys its obvious, you need to setup a connection to a access point and thats where the static electricity goes rather than to the components :)

9. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

Tested one of those in my shop, let me say this...I tossed it. It is Über crap don't waste your money on it.

10. cscousins

cscousins New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1950 Toxic Ed
    My take

Ok, I feel I just had to put in my two cents.

I have owned one of these wireless wrist straps for about 3 months now. I am not the type to use a wrist strap. ever. I grew up changing out ram chips on a 486 DX. You touch the case and you are good to go. leave the power in or not, better yet just make sure you always have skin contact with the case. forearms do nicely of holding and grounding. So the real reason I bought this is becuase in certain circumstances your job requires (and for good reason) to wear a wrist strap. When you are working on a clients PC's you have to have it. It makes them feel better. I HATE wired wrist straps. So I bought this guy becuase it is a commercial product that whether it works or not would satisfy the requirements of some of my jobs and still give me freedom. I was still going to touch the case.

My experience is this. It works. Amazingly (at all) it works... It does have it's limitations though. I recently found them out. Had to take a scissor lift about 40 feet up to the top of a warehouse to change out a wireless access point, (f**** wire monkeys strap the ethernet cables accross every possible high voltage power line and light source on the roof) and my co-worker touches the beam and zaps the holy SH** out of himself. hehehe after a couple of times doing that he "politely" requests since I have my "fancy shmancy" wrist strap to touch the beam. So I did so while holding the metal railing on the lift. and I got a small little tap shock in my pinkey on the railing. Just enough to know it happened at all. Thats a limitation and a huge reduction. HOWEVER! (we did this all day) the next time I tapped the screw on the strap to the beam then grabbed the railing and touch the beam and .... NOTHING...

Now on to what info I could find on the net. here's some highlights. and it really should tell you this on the package but.... eh...
    1: wear 15 MINETS before working on components.
    some product descriptions for the earliest models said 15 seconds... BS...
    2: works better in humid climates
    3: touch screw to grounding source for best effect

Before I found this out, out of worry, I would always tap the screw to the case. Turns out I had it right. Also I live in a very humid area. Also, just for the shear geek factor I never took it off. No wonder I had such success.

I have this happen all the time by people who wonder what the hell that blue thing on my wrist is.
    THEM: "hey, I like your watch" or "what kind of watch is that?"

ME: "No, it's not a watch actually, it's a wireless anti-static wrist strap"

THEM: " ???????......." or "oh.. is that like computer stuff?"

To wrap up my little bit here. It's only like $10 freakin bucks, it's a geek badge, they now make them in styling black, so if you ever even considered it you know you want it. buy one and try it out for a while and see what you think. You will find opinions extremely varied on this. here's some links.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/tag/gadget/
    http://www.esdjournal.com/techpapr/sfowler/wireless.htm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899339004

Yes, I registered just to comment on this thread. sorry for the long post and thank you for reading.

11. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    My dad used to work for Tellabs a electronic company. He said wireless anti-static wraps was on his ankle and there is a black mat on the floor when he stands on it, it takes ESD out of him.

We don't know how it works but there is mat on ground and u have it on ur ankle, u walk on it while u work. It takes ESD off u.