Have you had a SSD die on you yet ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by WhiteLightning, Jan 31, 2013.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Well today my 3RD SSD went dead for me.

1st was a Corsair P128
    2nd was a OCZ Vertex 2
    3rd my Crucial M4

They all died on different mobo's. (x48/x58/z68) (witht he SSD tweaks , even pagefile on another drive.)

I never had any problem RMA-ing, so doubt this time i will, but im quite pissed to say the least.

It starts with hard lockups where i have to remove the sata cable from the drive, then when i put it back in it works again. but its already a sign of the drive dying. funny enough the crystal info program showed the drives at 100% each time. so the program is useless aswell imo.
    somewhat later , the drive will be stuck at sata detection (IDE/AHCI does not matter).

Im starting to think that the SSD technology is very flawed, since this is the 3rd time, and ive much have purchased about 20 mechanical drives in my life, and there was only failing one!!

So i was just wondering has anyone ever experienced SSD drive failing ?

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well to be honest all those disks are a bit so so.

If you had a lets say Samsung 830 or Intel 33x/ 520 in there then I might be concerned as well.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Dodgy PSU sending a spike maybe.

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Corsair P128 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_p128_ssd_review,12.html
    [​IMG]

OCZ vertex 2 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ocz_vertex_2_ssd_review,13.html
    [​IMG]

Crucial M4 http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/crucial_m4_128gb_ssd_review,16.html
    [​IMG]

Doesnt show so / so at all

could this happen on 3 different PSU's ?

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes, but by todays standards they are a bit lower quality.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That doesnt mean they should die does it ? especially for that kind of money.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I haven't had on die yet out of the 2x 180 Corsair Force 3's and 2x 240 Corsair Force GT's that I own.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That's true but back then all SSD were quite expensive, maybe you just happened to have bad luck with them?

Or probably dodgy firmwares, i know M4 had a lot of firmware issues, same goes for Vertex2.

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

sorry to hear ,white
    3 different ssds, three different mobos, no coincidence here
    at least, you got RMA option, you'd be really pissed off if they failed after warranty....

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    In the first place , i am really sorry for you.
    Now,dying SSD is nothing new and it is a fact.Flash memory has its own flaws.
    Well,Crystal info uses SMART,and smart is making a prediction based on some numbers and tresholds,and it is failing at best .
    SSD are pretty new tech so SMART is rather clueless,or manufacturers are putting higher tresholds ,so SMART will not trigger any warning.
    So maybe we are not having the whole picture here.
    Just for the kicks,look for Scott Moulton on myharddrivedied or Youtube speaking on SSDs tech.i warn you,some info will change your mind about SSDs.

11. ryoohki360

ryoohki360 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte/GTX660TI/2GIG
    I have two, One old Intel SATA2 that is my OS drive, never failed me and i have a newer Kingston 240gb that i use as a Game drive for Steam..

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My first SSD was a cheap Microcenter brand drive (rebranded ADATA) and about 2 months into using it, the BIOS just refused to recognize it.

My new Intel drive has worked flawlessly

13. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Yes, a MC also (ADATA S599 64GB) about wo weeks ago. The other three are OK, but I replaced them all with Samsung 830s ($60 each for the upgrade kit).

14. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    2 corsair x32 died within a month of each other i did fold on them for 6 months so that wouldn't of help they did not even have trim or garbage collection

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nope. I have a first gen Corsair Force ssd that is still working.

16. orac2

orac2 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC/PE
    i'd definitely be looking at my power supply.............

i have 3 SSD's all Crucial M4

Back from when they cost a few bob a 64GB,then a 128gb and lately a 256gb i'm running Win8 Pro on

they have all been updated with the latest firmware and i have not had ANY issues with Crucial SSD's :)

17. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    my oldest SSD is in my notebook which is a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB i carried it over from my old X58 rig and still works very well, 100% Health according to CrystalDiskInfo with 5415 hours ontime, great purchase and it's about 2 years old i think.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just had my Crucial M4 64GB die on me after around 7,000 hours, original revision and latest firmware.

Thank god Crucial has the best customer service I have ever dealt with and made the RMA painless.

19. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    I have a 128gb M4 running 24/7 since 2011 (may) with win8 pro (upgraded from win7 a few months ago) still running flawlessly

The only measure ive taken was to turn off pagefile ( having 12Gb RAM and all ) and ofc, (duh) not downloading using torrent clients to the SSD.

Also turned off hibernation file but, for drive space purposes only (12gb!), but it doesnt really impact desktop PC SSDs life that much, not to mention the pc was always on.

Cant really tell what happened to your SSDs, but from my point of view, the SSDs dying so soon isnt normal. Something must be eating the flash memory life

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Actually, Crucial must be experiencing some issues with first revisions M4 (at least 64GB's). When I was calling tech support, they started asking me a bunch of questions, but the moment I mentioned mine was Firmware 0001 revision and that it wasn't appearing in BIOS after leaving it on (unconnected) for 24 hours, they just told me to contact customer support and RMA it and didn't bother to ask me to do anything else off their checklist.

I don't want to start a rumor here or anything though.