Intel Haswell more bench vs Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by moab600, May 10, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ummm, yes it does solve bandwidth issues because you no longer need to flood the interconnect and both processors in trying to copy memory from one memory space to another and wait for the copy to complete.

Also, it's a hardware implementation, to the software, it's all one memory region, software will just have to point to this unified memory space which I believe the compiler will handle.

As for GDDR5, just for the fact that it's GDDR5, it'll be much faster than DDR3.

While it is true that the performance gap isn't huge, Intel's main point is in low power consumption and being able to have higher performing CPUs that draws as little power as possible. Also, it's meant to be an IGP refresh as well. Haswell's main target market is in mobile and laptop segment. Desktop is just the side effect of this. I don't believe Intel believed that they are targetting this at people who are on Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge but for those who are still stuck with older CPUs like many mainstream consumers and businesses who will likely want Haswell right now.

deltatux

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AMD will be using GDDR5, I hardly call that slow.
    And it's not 128bit it's 1x 128bit (or 2x64bit) memory controller per chip, and since Hynix right now manufacture 1GB, 2GB & 4GB chips it'll almost certainly be 8GB/256bit.

AMD have also said it will be compatible with Python, C++, and Java.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sticking with my sandy.