Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Tat3, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    About Symbian: The best performance, battery life and multithreading. Problem was Carbide C++ which was used for developing stuff, it just sucks. I think that they were going to go Qt all the way from next release and cut down dome backwards compatibility with older stuff. Honestly, it was looking damn good. I hope that I will see the revenge of Symbian.

Windows Mobile: Works very well with Windows based PC's, integration with those is just awesome. You can write stuff with C# to it... Some things are not yet working as well as those should, but looks good here. When those are fixed, what more would you possibly want from phone ?

RIM Stuff: Only people from USA and Canada buy that, elsewhere people know that there are better options out.

Android: Meh, whats the big deal ? Seen that stuff done better elsewhere.

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Being able to root your phone, install software from anywhere, flash a custom firmware, sleeker interface, extensive use of proven open source projects, open model and it's open source by itself ... what's there not to like about Android?

deltatux

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    oh oh i got Bada :D theres like only few million bada phones on the market (samsungs os) they are pushing it more now tho

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Oh yes, Bada ... weird that it's made by Qualcomm lol.

deltatux

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Aka unlock phone ? I dont care if I cant put custom loading screen to phone, I dont care if I cant modify phone so I would be unable to receive SMS's as example. Enough access to phones readings, sensors, etc are enough for developer.

Sleeker interface, some will disagree.

Proven open source projects ? I dont care if it's open or closed source as long as it works.

Whats not to like about Android, well, illegally using copy-writed stuff from Oracle.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jan/21/android-patent-oracle-problems

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    WP7 is basically Microsoft's version of iOS.

iTunes -> Zune
    App Store -> WP Marketplace

Identical, design-induced, limitations and control. Functionally it's the dark ages compared to Symbian.

All I see WP7 improving is the UI and that not to everyone's taste at that. Everything else is strictly worse.

Maybe that's what people want, time will tell, but if I had Nokia stock I'd sell it now.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Symbian is still the most advanced phone OS out there.

Nokia will get loads of freedom to customize stuff to their Windows Mobile phones including UI.

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm not worried about the UI really. While WP7's UI isn't my thing personally it's certainly a step beyond S^3.

What they'd have to customize, or rather replace, is everything else.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Custom firmwares tend to come with improvements and performance increases from the community. It's not just so that you get a new loading screen. Some modified Android firmwares also add extra functionality that may be missing from the stock firmware supplied by the manufacturer or from Google.

As for rooting the phone, if you're a Linux user, you definitely know what that means. I'm assuming you're not, rooting an Android phone means that you enable root access so that you can modify anything in the OS and Google actually supports this. It's a matter of rooting it yourself you give yourself full access to the device.

I for one don't like Windows Phone 7's interface at all, it's too cluttered, too many things firing off at once. I bought a phone, not an ADD inducing device.

As for Oracle going ape-**** over Java patents, that's still up for debate as it's still not proven by the courts that Google did "steal/copy" Java. Do note that Java is an open sourced language, so I don't get why Oracle is going nuts over this. Could be the question of Dalvik itself, maybe it's not a clean room implementation? If so, it should be a matter of a simple fix. I do know that Oracle also has issues with the fact that Android isn't using the standard JRE libraries.

EDIT: Now that Nokia's going to be in bed with Microsoft, wtf will happen to Ovi, this concerns me as I am using the Nokia XpressMusic 5800.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  10. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Excuse me but, you're also able to port custom firmwares with added/extra functionalities on about every Symbian mobile phone as long as they are from the same generation.
    This also includes installation of unsigned applications and whatnot.

I own a Nokia 5800XM and eventhough it isn't the best phone out there, it certainly is the best you could possibly have within the price range. Its responsive, its fast, quality media codecs, good compatibility etc.

The only downside about Symbian in my eyes is the UI, its been like this for years but then again, everything gets boring after a while.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I was comparing Windows Phone 7 and Android, not to Symbian man lol.

Yes, the XM5800 is definitely one of the better phones for its price range, but responsive? The scrolling flickers (give it about 10 - 15 fps) and the phone isn't all that responsive. Sure, it gets stuff done, but there's not much to phone other than basic calling, texting and being able to run a few apps.

The media codec support is definitely great, I'll give you that.

deltatux

12. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    finally! i would've preferred android over WP though.

@XM5800
    i also have it. it's good for what I want it for. my only gripe about it is that my LCD suffered from a device malfunction, then the resistive screen followed next :(

13. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Good thing I didn't buy a N8, knowing now that it won't be supported much longer. Personally I think they should have revamped the whole development area and put many brains on Symbian^3 to push it forward. They had a base, they just needed to improve it. Now they basically start from scratch. In the meantime, I'm about to replace my Nokia phone and I'm not willing to wait for a year for a WP7 model, so I'll probably switch to an Android phone. Me, a Nokia fanboy, forced to switch to another brand.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    can't find any info except that it's made by samsung actually :eek: i tried to see if it's really made by Qualcomm but nope no info.

15. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    How about doing it properly at the first place ? Different hardware works differently on some phones, but it's software should have been modified enough to work well with the hardware.

I know what that means, but how is it such a big deal ? If you unlock the phones, you can do quite a lot with it, install custom software as an example. Critical system processes are mostly something you dont want to mess around and have no need to do that. Thats what most of the people want, working phone without need for that. There arent that many of us who want to have root access to phone.

And still, it's just a phone and I prefer using PC over a phone (other than calling or sending sms) if I want to do something.

And Nokia can modify that as much as they like.

Well, they have not been good friends after they made their own Java Virtual Machine (Dalvik).

People think that Google is so good and friendly company. IMO they have got a bit cocky and slam into face from Oracle would do some good.

All the people who used it (about 7) will get angry.

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
  18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT