Gtx 680 or hd 7970

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hangry, May 8, 2012.

1. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Hey guys,
    Just trying to get an idea on what you guys think is the best. So just write down wich one you would choose and from wich brand (if you could also tell why you like one better it would be great).
    Ill update the list every few days.

2. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    performance wise they are similar, 680 winning in some games and 7970 winning in the others, but i personally still put 680 ahead. If you are going for higher resolution(above 1920x1080) 7970 is the way to go as it has more memory(unless you go for 4GB 680 version) and higher memory bandwidth. The only think i (personally) don't like about amd is the drivers (though nvidia have been slacking on that aswell with 680 tbh).
    So in the end, it's all up to what you like and what resolution you gonna use it for.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    680 is undoubtably the better card on average.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    But the 7970 is cheaper and easier to overclock

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If you just want something in that price range the 680 is the way to go, if you want to save some money and pretty much have the same performance of the 680 then go with a 7970. Either way both are great cards.

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    680 for the added tech (phsyx) and better drivers !!

7. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Having Ati card now, I never had the driver issues others had, but then again I was always a late adopter of most games that might have had driver issues, Until i started playing with crossfire, that was annoying especially with skyrim which still has serious problems.

Although this time around my money is on the 680. I believe there is still more power behind them as the drivers mature.

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    For the most part, the 680 is the better card, personally I'd go with an Evga model for their warranty, and I've had better luck with them.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd save the money and grab a 7970 over the 680, the extra cost of the 680 simply isn't worth it in my eyes. I've also had a mostly hassle free experience with ATI drivers, certainly no worse than with Nvidia drivers when using their cards in the past. While you get PhysX with Nvidia cards as a bonus, again it's not worth the price mark up considering the number of titles that support it. I'd even go as far to say that a number of the titles it is implemented in don't give a good impression of the tech'.

10. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    They certainly are very close together. I do not have an HD7970 so can't tell you much about it but from what I've read so far, the GTX680 will give you a smoother gameplay experience. It has other benefits as well: it is more power efficient and runs cooler. Those are 2 factors I personnally wouldn't ignore. So yeah, my vote goes to the GTX680 and if you can find them, go with EVGA because of their warranty.

11. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Im looking at the evgas 680 and there are so many of them. Some i can see the difference but other its basically the same thing with a different price. Wich one would be the best? 4gb of vram isn't worth it right?

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wait, what would be the purpose of your video card? Gaming? Internet browsing? Movies?

From what I heard, all I can say is to get 7850 at most and be happy with it for a long long time.

13. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Its for gaming sorry i didnt precise. I dont really like the 7850 bacause i want the best (without going crazy lik buying a 690).

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If pure gaming, yeah I'd also recommend 680, unless you going for 3 monitors setup.