Ryzen questions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by cryohellinc, Jun 30, 2017.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hey guys,

Planning to get Ryzen 1800x, as I think its finally time to move from my 4770k. Will use my h115i on the CPU, should be able to get 4.1-4.2ghz.

My question falls down to 2 things:
    1) Which Mobo? A lot of them seem to be rushed during initial release. Don't care about looks at all, most important for me is performance and reliability / quality of build. What can you suggest in 200-350 euro area?

2) 32gb Ram - Which to choose from and is 3200mhz speed sufficient? Afaik Ryzen does like higher clocked ram.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Have a look here : http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-agesa-1006-performance-update-review,1.html

I has a section called "Random memory testing", where you can see what memory passed and failed on Ryzen".

4.2 GHz ... it sounds like you have no idea what you are getting into. Most 8-core Ryzen CPU's hits a wall at 4 GHz. A few will do 4.1 GHz. While a lot will never hit 4 GHz.

For MB I would choose between ASRock X370 Taichi or ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Best information at this point can give unfortunately to do a bit more reading on your end. Go to the specific manufacturer's forum for a board and see what is being said. See how often a new official bios has been provided. If any beta bios versions have been made available.

The platform is still that new. It appears to still be hit and miss depending on the board being used. I have liked both ASUS boards have used. Currently using the Crosshair VI Hero. The Prime X370-Pro board is on RMA because was aggressive in testing ram speed ability and the beta bios became overly corrupted. ASRock appears to have come a long way. Some forum members recommended them when I was searching for a board after the ASUS Prime board went down. Have not seen much from the Gigabyte or MSI owners.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thank you for information! I never said 4.2 is doable, however to my understanding 4.1 is, hence the whole point of 1800x as those are better binned chips compared to 1700x, is it not? How much you get on your 1800x if I may ask.

Clouseau
    It sure is new, but in my opinion it has great future potential. Dx 12/ Vulcan soon will be in many more games, and those really benefit from multiple cores. Intel has nothing good to offer. Coffee lake May be nice, but at what cost, and looking at all the issue with recent Intel hardware. They were lazy, comfortable as a monopolist, but now have AMD/ Nvidia/ ARM/ Microsoft literally burning them down, hence I think its a good time to move.

And I will look into ASUS, as it seems their boards are most commonly used for Ryzen. However as you said, will do more reading. :)

P.S.
    Did some reading on the available boards, start to lean towards ASRock as the amount of negative feedback from ASUS / MSI / Gigabyte top boards is just staggering.

P.P.S.
    ASRock X370 Taichi seems like the board to go for.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017